Alconbury Truckstop

Closing down as a truckstop on Friday 3rd March 2017.

Isn’t it…

Owned by Maritime?

When Marmite first bought the place there was speculation on here that they would eventually drive out all the overnight parkers (not their own of course) by closing the bar etc. Looks like the master plan has succeeded and it’ll be just another depot soon. Plenty of showers for their own drivers though!

Yep owned by Maritime. Probably Rugby will go the same way now.

Well done Maritime another place to park gone :unamused:

How things change…

They used to be somewhere you were gauranteed a good shower, meal and parking.

I remember waitress service at Carlisle and Wolverhampton when BP first opened them. I guess drivers have so little time now.

It’s rather ironic that haulage firms (Stobarts at Crick and now Maritime) have almost killed off the large truckstops in the UK.

If drivers aren’t using them and they aren’t making a profit why wouldn’t Maritime turn it into a depot instead?

They aren’t a charity.

yourhavingalarf:
How things change…

I remember waitress service at Carlisle and Wolverhampton when BP first opened them. I guess drivers have so little time now.

It’s rather ironic that haulage firms (Stobarts at Crick and now Maritime) have almost killed off the large truckstops in the UK.

They might as well seing they are killing the transport industry too with the race to the bottom!!!

Awful place, and no loss except that it’ll push the numpties who use it to other places in the area.

Always had the impression it was known as Alconbury P1ss Bowl by UK drivers…?

wheelnutt:
If drivers aren’t using them and they aren’t making a profit why wouldn’t Maritime turn it into a depot instead?

They aren’t a charity.

It’s not a case of that. Before they segregated it, the place used to be full by about 7. You struggle after half 5 now. The cafe is run by outside operators, so it’s literally taking money for nothing. They wanted it for a depot from the off, now they have their way

OVLOV JAY:

wheelnutt:

They aren’t a charity.

It’s not a case of that. Before they segregated it, the place used to be full by about 7. You struggle after half 5 now. The cafe is run by outside operators, so it’s literally taking money for nothing. They wanted it for a depot from the off, now they have their way

I’m not sure it was always going to be turned exclusive. A few weeks ago we were all asked how best to improve it, I think it was realised that would take a lot of work and it was probably easier to just turn it into a depot. I’m disappointed with the decision, if it had been carried through I think it would’ve made a really nice place, instead it’s made parking a whole lot more difficult for drivers.

It’s such a shame that these places can be bought and then not require any “change of use” permission from the local authority. It’s removed much needed facilities from the area.

I wonder if the keyfuels pumps will close too?

Was a bit of a dump but was in a handy location and I always got a good shower there.

Had the feeling it was going that way the last time I was there, parking was getting smaller and smaller.

A.

Adonis.:
Was a bit of a dump but was in a handy location and I always got a good shower there.

Had the feeling it was going that way the last time I was there, parking was getting smaller and smaller.

A.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ also CDC shop handy for pink products!

yourhavingalarf:
How things change…

Yeh Alconbury used to be a cracking place once over, right up to mid 90s, good grub, clean showers and all the rest of it.
I was in there last about 5 yrs ago, complete crock of ■■■■ in comparison to what it was.
Could Maritime not get a yard on the old airbase ind est opposite, and leave the truckstop for a decent investor.
With the amount of trucks using the A14, there is definitely a need around that area.

The last time I parked at rugby truck stop ( stobarts ) they were extending the parking area for truck and had told / asked if there own trucks / drivers would park in the stobart trailer park , so not sure how they can be banded in same way as maratime closing alconbury .
Same applies too Carlisle , must be 6 months since I’ve been but they were revamping the place
Not on about standard of food / showers , just parking

Kate’s Kabin will be happy. I know some might not like it, but it’s cheap and you get your food in with the parking ticket.

Out of interest will Maritime be running curtainsiders out of Alconbury? Do they just go for big contracts or will they be undercutting on the leftovers the old general hauliers are left with?