Alcoa Durabrite alloy wheels

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for cleaning up the above please? Looking to remove the build up from disc brakes etc.

Thanks

Autosol in a tube. Spread some on a bit of cardboard, then rub it in with the cardboard, polish off with a clean cloth.

use the Alcoa wheel cleaning chemical Alclean (i think), if you buy the four piece kit, it says it is not suitable for durabrites, but, i used them on mine with no problems, Alcoa now say that it is suitable for them :wink:

bigvern1:
Autosol in a tube. Spread some on a bit of cardboard, then rub it in with the cardboard, polish off with a clean cloth.

not on durabrites, it will scratch them :wink:

Valetpro - Bilberry wheel cleaner
The best there is .

shuttlespanker:

bigvern1:

Used it on my motorbike chrome…Never marked it at all. :open_mouth:

bigvern1:

shuttlespanker:

bigvern1:

Used it on my motorbike chrome…Never marked it at all. :open_mouth:

chrome is a completely different type of finish to Durabrites, Chrome is a very hard finish

if you use autosol on stainless, it will scratch it, this is why they say polish it with the grain, not against it or in circles, it will do the same to the finish on durabrites too :wink:

Cheers.

Thanks chaps, any issues if I use a buffer to polish it up after?

Will the cleaner tend to get rid of the deposits around the vent holes?

Marcelleke:
Valetpro - Bilberry wheel cleaner
The best there is .

+1 :sunglasses:

Y111RDF:
Thanks chaps, any issues if I use a buffer to polish it up after?

Will the cleaner tend to get rid of the deposits around the vent holes?

dilute it down to either 50/50 or 30/70 (alclean/water) and use it with a brush, the alcoa wheel cleaning brush is great for the job, it will get rid of all the brake dust

it is a chemical, not a polish, so, you won’t need to use a buffer at all :wink:

Thanks

G101 from autosmart, awesome!!

Use a Brillo pad and some battery acid, and for the real stubborn bits use a file or hammer and chisel.

MysonVinnie:
Use a Brillo pad and some battery acid, and for the real stubborn bits use a file or hammer and chisel.

i find an angle grinder best for the stubborn bits :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i found the ex’s breath was also good for removing stubborn brake dust!.. :slight_smile:

mine where bad when i took truck over not cleaned for 2 years. i started first with a good acid cleaner pressured washed that off, then got some 1200 grit wet and dry paper went over all the pitted and stubben area’s, then out with the brilo pads. next thing is a good metal polish like peek or another one is marine polish,(not that keen on autosolve) polish them up and then a good coating of turtle wax makes it alot easier to clean next time :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

oh but don’t try this on staybrights buggers them up

wildfire:
mine where bad when i took truck over not cleaned for 2 years. i started first with a good acid cleaner pressured washed that off, then got some 1200 grit wet and dry paper went over all the pitted and stubben area’s, then out with the brilo pads. next thing is a good metal polish like peek or another one is marine polish,(not that keen on autosolve) polish them up and then a good coating of turtle wax makes it alot easier to clean next time :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

oh but don’t try this on staybrights buggers them up

did you not notice the thread title until after you wrote all that? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Dunno which Alcoa wheels I’ve got but they were not great when I got them. I bought some of those cheap soap filled wire wool scourers which tidied them up quite well.

The truck wears it ally wheels for weight rather than decoration and it’s a bit of a workhorse so it’s not imperative that they are gleaming.

look at the part number, if it ends with a zero, it is machine finish, if it ends with a 3, it is mirror polished, if it has a DB after the 6 digit number it is Durabrite