Alcoa alloy wheel cleaninig?

iam in the process of cleaning up some alcoa alloy wheels on my fridge trailer that i bought, they have surface oxydisation on them and i was wondering if anyone knows the best way to clean them up or what products to use ?

elbow grease is involved i know :wink:

get the ali cleaner from Autosmart, it’s called Ali, it is very good for getting the brake dust off the wheels and generally cleaning them

after that, depending on how bad they are, you can use a wet & dry emery paper to rub the pitting out, then start polishing

Get a can of black Hammerite and spray the [zb]ing things :laughing:

You have a serious amount of work ahead of you, polishing alone is not going to get a decent finish on them. Start by getting them clean with the acid stuff that makes them go white, then start to polish, first use a course polishing compound, then a medium, then eventually a fine finishing polish. You really need to take the wheels off the trailer and use a polishing wheel to get a decent shine on them. From then on a quick rinse after a run in the rain and a weekly rub over with any of the autosol type polishes will keep on top of it :wink:

Employ an enthusiastic driver and give him a £20 weekly Peek allowance. :wink:

I have tried various different techniques, and i find i get the best results with a variable speed grinder, starting off with 180 grit paper, then 500 grit, and finally 800 grit, I use 3m products, after the 800 grit, you should be able to see the shine coming through, it just needs refining then with Autoglym metal polish, or similar, i use a small 3 inch polishing pad with a velcro backing on the grinder, to finish off i will apply a high end alloy polish, i use autoproud, again, on a 3 inch polishing pad.

I find the results are very satisfying, and the smoother the finish, the longer you can go without repolishing

I do tend to wash mine daily if i can, just to keep the brake dust away, and i havent got ocd, lol :grimacing:

brillo pads and elbow grease

BRILLO.jpg

autosol.jpg

Metal_Polish.jpg

=

kindle530:

Nice shiny wheels and tank, let down just a little by the plain white ex-rental cab… :stuck_out_tongue:

ex Gwynedd Shipping motor H! plain cab with no writing= no-one knows who you are :wink: :smiley:

Here is one I did today

From this…

]

kindle530:
ex Gwynedd Shipping motor H! plain cab with no writing= no-one knows who you are :wink: :smiley:

I knew who you were? :laughing:

muckles:

kindle530:

I knew who you were? :laughing:

well yeah, we did share the same yard!!! :smiley: :wink:

try white diamond polish works miracles on alloy wheels