Alberta with 2 years experience?

hey guys
well time flies!.. i remember writing and asking for advice on the newby / wannabe link asking about training and in the blink of an eye ive now been driving for six months (albeit on a casual basis)
my goal was and still is alberta LMO with two years driving experience. what i realised this month is that this time next year (i wont be a millionaire) ill be able to start really concentrating on finding a company and getting the ball rolling for the move. im hoping to have a trip over at the end of summer too.
i do have concerns that 2 years casual driving might not be accepted or be adequate for taking the plunge on OTR driving so what advice would you give to someone like me
also do alberta gov give spouses work permits?
its all suddenly changed from a fairytale idea to a “oh my god this is happening” reality and im really starting to realise the amout of work needed to tie off life in the uk in order to “step” in to life in canada
im in no way put off or reserved about the idea, in fact quite the opposite but just want to make sure all bases are covered, especially as i have a missus and daughter (12 years atm) coming over with me.
maybe someone could give a couple of pros and cons to certain provinces they have experience of
i know there are a hundred threads of a similar nature but a lot get bogged down and go off on tangents so i thought id start a fresh one and see where it goes :slight_smile:
thanks for looking and stay safe

Try:

Demarayharvesting.com
Altendorfharvesting.com
Hollandharvesting.com
bergman-harvesting.com
danielskifarms.com

This way for 6months May to Oct will get you a USA CDL licence and show experience OTR with “oversize loads” driving a left ■■■■■■ on NA roads :exclamation: :exclamation:
Tax free wages too :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Thanks bud, if I had no ties (family mortgage etc) in the uk I’d definitely give that a shot.
Would you have to take the US hgv test first though?

Dereko:
hey guys
well time flies!.. i remember writing and asking for advice on the newby / wannabe link asking about training and in the blink of an eye ive now been driving for six months (albeit on a casual basis)
my goal was and still is alberta LMO with two years driving experience. what i realised this month is that this time next year (i wont be a millionaire) ill be able to start really concentrating on finding a company and getting the ball rolling for the move. im hoping to have a trip over at the end of summer too.
i do have concerns that 2 years casual driving might not be accepted or be adequate for taking the plunge on OTR driving so what advice would you give to someone like me
also do alberta gov give spouses work permits?
its all suddenly changed from a fairytale idea to a “oh my god this is happening” reality and im really starting to realise the amout of work needed to tie off life in the uk in order to “step” in to life in canada
im in no way put off or reserved about the idea, in fact quite the opposite but just want to make sure all bases are covered, especially as i have a missus and daughter (12 years atm) coming over with me.
maybe someone could give a couple of pros and cons to certain provinces they have experience of
i know there are a hundred threads of a similar nature but a lot get bogged down and go off on tangents so i thought id start a fresh one and see where it goes :slight_smile:
thanks for looking and stay safe

I’ve said this loads of times… you DON’T need 2 yrs experience for some companies, you need 2 yrs for PR which, by the time you get there would have seen you gain the two years experience in Canada.

I better not tell the missus that, we’ll be moving tomorrow!!
Any idea which companies mick or does it depend on time of year, need etc
All the ones I’ve enquired with seem to want three years and some mountain experience

Dereko:
All the ones I’ve enquired with seem to want three years and some mountain experience

Maybe it’s changed but I know a company (no names, but this is first hand, not heresay) who employed at east two ex army bods as drivers with long term licences, but almost zero road experience.

Dereko:

When you say enquired , have you actually talked to them ? Standard practice on company adverts out here is to ask for mountain and 2 yrs clean driving record . If that’s the case how do the Turbanators and Ukrainians secure jobs , they can’t even speak the language let alone drive a truck . Just yesterday pulling out of the Petro in Moose Jaw I was confronted by 2 of Putins finest driving on the wrong side of the road trying to enter the exit ramp , beggars belief !
Choose your employer wisely , then talk them into employing you . This is Canada and it can be done :laughing:

Email enquiries (hangs head in shame) is all so far
I really want to go out there and do this in person as has been recommended to pretty much everyone with my kind of enquiry. As for putins finest!! If it wasn’t so dangerous I’d be cracking up laughing now!

I looked up bison who seem to look for 1 years exp but doesn’t state lmo
take it from their web site they are a big company, are they any better or worse than the other big names

Dereko:
I looked up bison who seem to look for 1 years exp but doesn’t state lmo
take it from their web site they are a big company, are they any better or worse than the other big names

Yes they’re a very big company, by Canadian standards at least. I looked in to them back in 2008 and all I that happened was that I got directed to a company they work with that brought drivers in for an astronomical fee and it ended there when I found out how much they wanted. I can’t remember the amount now, but it was several thousand.