Alan Kendall

Tinterns biggest international haulier Mr Alan Kendall passed away yesterday… He will be greatly missed by all of us… RIP Al. :cry:

Hi Markbusa.
That’s sad news, haven’t seen Alan for a few years since Liz passed away, he did visit one day a few years after Liz passed but had lost contact with him since he moved from Tintern, do you now where he lived lately. He was a very funny guy once you understood his banter, a go getter who knew how to do things.

Hi Terry, I’m one of Alan’s Grandsons. He spent a lot of his time between Welwyn Garden City and Wyesham. He kept his same same attitude and winds up merchant style right to the end. We’ve had a lot of kind words from old time truckers on Facebook and directly. Its so nice to know that he was so well known within the community!

I found a couple of stories about him here and read them to him at the hospital. He had a good laugh!

If you have any stories about him I would love to hear them and share them with the family.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan.
Your granddad was one of a kind, we both worked for the same guy in Upminster doing Spain and Italy when he first came off the Middle East runs, you can rest assured he brought a lot of fun and laughs to us if you ran with him Bernie & Vinny, you had to keep up or you were slated as a [zb] and he told you so, I have some very fond memories of him and all the others we worked with on that firm like another great driver we called “Manchester John”, don’t know if he ever mentioned him to you they done middle east together.
Like I say Dan I lost touch with Alan a few years back and always look on this site for any info on him, sad to say this came up from Markbusa, he will be missed RIP Alan.

Thanks for the kind words Terry. Bernie was he really for a good three months of Gramp’s last few. They did a lot of reminiscing and spent a lot of time causing havoc at home! Manchester John came to visit a couple of times. He and Gramps had corn beef and onion rolls which were a favourite of theirs whilst there were out on the run.

There were plenty of drivers from the old days who visited, Ralph Davies, Steve Bobcorp and Keith the theif to name a few. Dodger was always on the scene too. It’s very comforting to know how many people cared for him and new him. He always claimed to be famous but we always thought he was taking the Mick!

If you want to message your name to me privately Terry I’ll ask the family and Bernie about you and tell them you send their best!

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan.
sent you a P Message but don’t know it you have got it as it still shows in my outbox but not in the sent box

Hi Dan,
I met Alan while riding my motorcycle from London to Hanoi via Central Asia and China. We first crossed paths at the Georgian Consulate in Trabzon, Turkey. We met again in Azerbaijan and travelled together to Baku. For those brief few days, Alan was like a father to me. I have written a book about this journey titled: ‘Timeless On The Silk Road’ (available April 2019) and feature Alan in it as well as a photo of him and his truck. I wrote to Alan after my travels but then lost contact. It was only recently, I searched for him online and it was with great sadness, I learnt of his passing. RIP Alan. I’m sure you’d like to read those scenes of our time together. I also have a number of photos I’ve scanned from slides. Happy to email these to you. You can email me at www.heather-ellis.com
Cheers…
Heather Ellis