Alan Firmin Transport (Sittingbourne)

Just after the usual info cheers, wages and type of work if anyone knows!

Cheers!

Used to be a very nice firm to work for. i used to sub for them up till about 6 years ago . Dont think its so good know that thay took all the knauf work off stobart. office staff all nice people

Second to that. One of the success stories in our industry and not done by walking all over everyone. Historically always have had a first rate reputation. Vehicles always been in A1 order and run to the book. Smart modern fleet, never seen a tatty one. Still family involvement, who will call a spade a spade. Expect to have to work.

Firmin’s rates to their customers reflect the price that they are having to pay for fuel each month, which means that they are not prepared to haul for peanuts or race to the bottom. Look up their website.

You will do yourself a favour by enquiring about the company’s history. Ask about the original office toilets at Wares Farm. There was a plaque in reception about these which reflects their ribald sense of humour. There are many cartoons of staff stashed away.

Not a lot of help about £ for you, but a bit of background.

cant say about wages as I don’t know the facts, but the couple lads I know who work for them seem happy with their take home , kit is well looked after although not top of the range, and they tell me its 100% legal running- been around for a long time , so not a “fly by night” outfit and have invested heavily over the years, on the scant evidence available its a firm that is worth trying to get on, good luck.

Didn’t they used to change the front of their AEC’s to the company initials?
Only time I’ve ran across them is when they did some subbying for Tay / Bibby as it became.
The office staff seemed ok and the work was all done ok as well.

Soldier z:
Didn’t they used to change the front of their AEC’s to the company initials?
Only time I’ve ran across them is when they did some subbying for Tay / Bibby as it became.
The office staff seemed ok and the work was all done ok as well.

Correct. AEC and later ERF was taken off the front of the lorries because Alan viewed it as advertising for which the manufacturer was not paying. A different triangle was substituted with AF, a wheatsheaf, a hop bine and an apple?? (it was 45 years ago). Many of the lorries had AF (Cornwall) registration numbers.

edit to add:

Alan Firmin also donated the land and funded the building of the site and hangar for the kent air ambulance.

Hi i work for them can not grumble. Motors are good new trailers and skellys just been purchased and a new set of mercs on way to replace the old shape.roughly changed every three years. Basic is not to bad i think its about 22000 but thats just a rough guess but after 48.5 hours its overtime at ten quid an hour. Plenty of work. And they have just started there own recruit company called firmin rcruits.im happy there.they have both curtansiders and containers out of purfleet tilbury and felixstowe. Better than ome company arou d

Thay still have all the AF plates thay are on the companies and owners cars who tho living a play boy lifestyle are very nice people but before you say plabboy lifestyle and haulage there main bread and butter is farming and property

Really nice firm to deal with and have positive feedback from the guys that have worked there. Good luck with it :slight_smile:

Are they anything to do with an outfit called Firmin Coates,used to have a Depot in Middlewich Cheshire IIRC?

David

They used to be im sure they sold their part to coates a few years ago .was run totaly seperate to either firm invoved

Good kit ,well looked after,never seen a scabby one yet,won’t work for suicide rates, run legit whats not to like! deffo one of the better firms out there

I’ve worked out of there a couple of times as agency, but imo it’s underpaid @ £11ph right through sunday. :frowning:
All pulling Morrisons delivery trailers from next door… Deliveries not trunking. :frowning:

I worked there for two years and i enjoyed it,nice bunch in the office and a good set of drivers too.
The kit is of a high standard and the work is 100% legal,but just like any other haulage firm they want their pound of flesh.

The money is about average for the area and you also get a accident free bonus in your monthly wage packet. I worked nights and it was a doddle,ten to twelve hour shifts with work consisting of pulling trailers for various supermarkets and TNT,as well as Palletforce trunks and change overs with the trampers.

It might of changed slightly as it has been two years since I left and they have moved from Snodland to Sittingbourne.
In general it’s a good firm to work for,you could do a lot worse!

Winseer:
I’ve worked out of there a couple of times as agency, but imo it’s underpaid @ £11ph right through sunday. :frowning:
All pulling Morrisons delivery trailers from next door… Deliveries not trunking. :frowning:

Sounds like the kinda place that would be better FT than agency.

Snowgo:

Winseer:

Sounds like the kinda place that would be better FT than agency.

I would imagine most places are :wink:

To be fair though Winseer, they use a fair amount of different agencies so with that much competition they have got rates nailed down. We run at a really tight margin in there else it’s nigh on impossible to find guys prepared to do Friday-Sunday nights which seems to be the most common booking!