Airside catering services

Anyone done it .? Went for nose yesterday got offered job. 3am start 12 hrs 4am 12 hrs 3rd weeek 5 am 12 hrs. 3 on off 3 less than 400 a week Jesus :imp:

Is that with alpha flight cateringâ– â– ?
I looked at this work from Leeds & Bradford airport a couple of years ago when I wanted off distance work to be with my newborn.
They were only offering 6 month contracts and that was no good to me,I didn’t get as far as finding out the salary

Just another industry where employee t’s and c’s have gone steadily downhill over the last 30 years…Maggies’ legacy continues. Heathrow? Gatwick? Stansted?

yorkshire terrier:
Is that with alpha flight cateringâ– â– ?
I looked at this work from Leeds & Bradford airport a couple of years ago when I wanted off distance work to be with my newborn.
They were only offering 6 month contracts and that was no good to me,I didn’t get as far as finding out the salary

Yes STANSTED only way to get money up is too work rest days and die of sleep deprivation

Alpha at Man £9.73 an hour, 40 hour week 5 one 3 off, 10 hour shifts, 5-7am starts, 12/2pm starts, that’s your days, nights starts at 9/10pm.

Alpha’s week starts on the friday, so even tho you work 5 on, in their “week” you get 40 hours time, and the 5th day rolls over on to your next week after your days off. They run a rolling Rota as you can work out, if you start your working week on the monday (IIRC) you will do5 8 hours shifts.

6 month contact, with the chance to being kept on over the xmas season. My third year doing it, I finished in October, started in January.

On site parking, free meals and coffee. The work is more handball then it is driving. They could actually get away without needing DCPC if it wasn’t for the few drivers that do liverpool.

Gate Gourmet or some crap, another one up in Man, based in Trafford Park, pay less have a lot less contracts then alpha.

When I was an aircraft refueller one of our lads went over and lasted about a week before asking to come back but the money isn’t to bad and there is an infinite amount of overtime in the summer so you could proberbly make a fair bit before getting bored.

I was working as an Aircraft refueller for Monarch Personnel assigned to north air refuelling. After being messed about something rotten with hours and pay and to cut a long story short I left. Anyway thats another story.

A week or so later I got a job with Alpha LSG at Gatwick. I lasted a total of 12 weeks. They did indeed have me on ridiculous early starts. Some as early as 2:30 am (no point in going to bed) :open_mouth: Driving around the airfield was second nature to me as I had worked there 17 years before hand. So people might find it a bit of daunting place with aircraft moving about etc. :laughing:

So my experience at Alpha LSG was terrible. :smiling_imp: The trucks I was assigned to drive were as old as P reg. The trucks stank due to their age. They don’t even have fitted seat belts which personally I think is really bad. Nearly every truck in the fleet had defect after defect. Basic things like bald tyres, lights out, broken indicator sticks, speedo not working. How they got these things through an MOT I dont know but I think a bit of part swapping was going on when one was due. :confused:

The job itself was awful. As the driver its your job to load the truck up. Sounds easy? its not! you have to load all the catering containers in a specif order so its easy to unload at the aircraft side. A better company like Gate Gorumet gives the drive a mate to help you. But oh no not Alpha LSG. :unamused:

You litery walking to no less to 5 or 6 places dragging buckets of ice and food on trolleys where the wheels are broken etc. All the time the supervisors are cracking the whip to get you loaded as fast as possible. Food, drinks bar, ice, magazies, other bits for the flight and not forgetting the toilet paper. :grimacing: After this you take it to the aircraft and unload it sometimes by yourself.

After, you often get sent to other aircraft to unload a dirty flight. You cant get the stuff on the truck as there is no room where you just taken the other stuff off the flight you just loaded.

Sometimes I got sent to Standstead airport taking food up there. Nice run you would think? No - in a P or N reg truck no seat belt, truck hardly running. I got given a file note (this is like a black mark on your file :imp: ) as numrous times i refused to drive the heaps of junk. My licence not theirs! if VOSA stopped you their have a field day. :neutral_face:

The company itself is made up of mostly polish drivers. I have no problem with this but you gotta start asking questions when you are started on £8:50 an hour with your money going up to £9:42 after 6 weeks. However my money never went up as the polish who have been there for awhile do it for £8:50 only. Also what i found amazing is all the warning signs like caution folk lift, all written in polish! :open_mouth: :confused: It’s like working in Poland - managers Polish, Drivers, everyone Polish! :stuck_out_tongue: The free meals are a joke as its a day old flight meal you are fed. On a 12 hour shift this wont keep you alive with all the walking, lifting, shoving and ■■■■■■■ your do.

After the 12 weeks I was there I was called in the office and basically fired as I had refused to drive a truck with no working headlights. :smiley: I was starting work at 3am this day and driving to the airport from an industrial estate. I need headlights working at 3am!!! So with that I chucked my passes on the Service delivery managers desk and said i quit. The manager, a woman, that has never driven a truck in her life trying to fire me for being assigned a truck with U/S headlights. I dont think so! :imp: :imp:

If your looking to start I’d advise you to look else where. There isnt much driving but your be used and abused and often end up in the wash room in quite spells like I did. :frowning: I said to the Manager it cost me thousands to do my licence and im here doing the dirty dishes. To that she replied. your here to do as I tell you!!! WTF!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Honestly dont go there, Gate gourmet is a bit better but brace yourself you might end up crash landing than having a high flying career in this industry. :grimacing: :grimacing:

Nighthawk.:
I was working as an Aircraft refueller for Monarch Personnel assigned to north air refuelling. After being messed about something rotten with hours and pay and to cut a long story short I left. Anyway thats another story.

A week or so later I got a job with Alpha LSG at Gatwick. I lasted a total of 12 weeks. They did indeed have me on ridiculous early starts. Some as early as 2:30 am (no point in going to bed) :open_mouth: Driving around the airfield was second nature to me as I had worked there 17 years before hand. So people might find it a bit of daunting place with aircraft moving about etc. :laughing:

So my experience at Alpha LSG was terrible. :smiling_imp: The trucks I was assigned to drive were as old as P reg. The trucks stank due to their age. They don’t even have fitted seat belts which personally I think is really bad. Nearly every truck in the fleet had defect after defect. Basic things like bald tyres, lights out, broken indicator sticks, speedo not working. How they got these things through an MOT I dont know but I think a bit of part swapping was going on when one was due. :confused:

The job itself was awful. As the driver its your job to load the truck up. Sounds easy? its not! you have to load all the catering containers in a specif order so its easy to unload at the aircraft side. A better company like Gate Gorumet gives the drive a mate to help you. But oh no not Alpha LSG. :unamused:

You litery walking to no less to 5 or 6 places dragging buckets of ice and food on trolleys where the wheels are broken etc. All the time the supervisors are cracking the whip to get you loaded as fast as possible. Food, drinks bar, ice, magazies, other bits for the flight and not forgetting the toilet paper. :grimacing: After this you take it to the aircraft and unload it sometimes by yourself.

After, you often get sent to other aircraft to unload a dirty flight. You cant get the stuff on the truck as there is no room where you just taken the other stuff off the flight you just loaded.

Sometimes I got sent to Standstead airport taking food up there. Nice run you would think? No - in a P or N reg truck no seat belt, truck hardly running. I got given a file note (this is like a black mark on your file :imp: ) as numrous times i refused to drive the heaps of junk. My licence not theirs! if VOSA stopped you their have a field day. :neutral_face:

The company itself is made up of mostly polish drivers. I have no problem with this but you gotta start asking questions when you are started on £8:50 an hour with your money going up to £9:42 after 6 weeks. However my money never went up as the polish who have been there for awhile do it for £8:50 only. Also what i found amazing is all the warning signs like caution folk lift, all written in polish! :open_mouth: :confused: It’s like working in Poland - managers Polish, Drivers, everyone Polish! :stuck_out_tongue: The free meals are a joke as its a day old flight meal you are fed. On a 12 hour shift this wont keep you alive with all the walking, lifting, shoving and ■■■■■■■ your do.

After the 12 weeks I was there I was called in the office and basically fired as I had refused to drive a truck with no working headlights. :smiley: I was starting work at 3am this day and driving to the airport from an industrial estate. I need headlights working at 3am!!! So with that I chucked my passes on the Service delivery managers desk and said i quit. The manager, a woman, that has never driven a truck in her life trying to fire me for being assigned a truck with U/S headlights. I dont think so! :imp: :imp:

If your looking to start I’d advise you to look else where. There isnt much driving but your be used and abused and often end up in the wash room in quite spells like I did. :frowning: I said to the Manager it cost me thousands to do my licence and im here doing the dirty dishes. To that she replied. your here to do as I tell you!!! WTF!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Honestly dont go there, Gate gourmet is a bit better but brace yourself you might end up crash landing than having a high flying career in this industry. :grimacing: :grimacing:

I declined the offer. The interviewer basically said jobs mine after I drove truck round the a120 for ten mins ,the place looked a mess as did the trucks of which one had blown engine on run too Norwich ,looked like something out of heartbeat itv. 3am start woulda meant 2am alarm all for a ten pound dark payment,too me that’s nights !!!. Also looked very clicky as in jobs for the boys . As for free canteen well 12 hours with no decent meal other than a sandwich left over from Ryan air. Nah I don’t think so . Reading above looks like I made wise decision

Try aircraft refuelling the job is easy and the money is good.

topmixer11:

Nighthawk.:

I declined the offer. The interviewer basically said jobs mine after I drove truck round the a120 for ten mins ,the place looked a mess as did the trucks of which one had blown engine on run too Norwich ,looked like something out of heartbeat itv. 3am start woulda meant 2am alarm all for a ten pound dark payment,too me that’s nights !!!. Also looked very clicky as in jobs for the boys . As for free canteen well 12 hours with no decent meal other than a sandwich left over from Ryan air. Nah I don’t think so . Reading above looks like I made wise decision

You definitely made the right choice. If you like airport environment give the fuelling ago with monarch Personnal. ÂŁ12 an hour for basically standing there waiting for the aircraft to fill up. Boring as hell mind but money to bad. :unamused:

Haha yes you always get a truck blowing up & there most definitely is a click in catering

Nighthawk.:
You definitely made the right choice. If you like airport environment give the fuelling ago with monarch Personnal. ÂŁ12 an hour for basically standing there waiting for the aircraft to fill up. Boring as hell mind but money to bad. :unamused:

Haha yes you always get a truck blowing up & there most definitely is a click in catering

Every year I apply for this, never seem to get a response. Even tho I have a number of years experience Airside, with catering. Have you got any tips or people you might know to contact for MAN?

I went through an agency when I worked at Gatwick and spent 2 years there before being taken on. You need a class 2 license and you don’t need ADR. I would have thought you having an airside pass would have been an advantage for them. If they don’t reply to your job application try to get the office number and give them a call. I had no airside or refuelling experience when i applied.

The thing with most support jobs at airports are they dont pay well, however, having worked at airports i went from a ÂŁ16000 a year job to a ÂŁ28k a year. You take the job for6 months, get to know the other people on the ramp, see if theres something else of interest, i.e fuelling, and talk to them, get friendly with them, they will tell you when they are taking on. They do prefer already airport employed people because you already have an airside pass and you have done the ramp driving course. It saves time waiting for DBS checks, getting a pass etc. I loved fuelling and did it for 7 years ay both Luton and Birmingham, and trust me, there is more overtime available then you will ever need so in summer you can earn really decent money.
Sadly i knackered my shoulder and that was the end, although i did go for a job at a very small local airfield fuelling, but didnt get it…apparently i knew more then the manager

tommymanc:

Nighthawk.:

Every year I apply for this, never seem to get a response. Even tho I have a number of years experience Airside, with catering. Have you got any tips or people you might know to contact for MAN?

Sadly monarch personal the leeches that have the monopoly on all the airport refuelling jobs aren’t very good to work for. However the job itself is very good if you like easy money. It’s not hard work really.

Try calling them direct - they based in Manchester

01257 478444
Or
01257 478650

Ask to speak to Chloe- if you get someone called Rachael ask for someone else as she’s not got a clue on much.

It’s £12 an hour and your like be used as a gap filler covering sickness and holidays if you can stomach it normally your get taken on full time by the company directly.

Good luck

If you want to get into refuelling try either asig, head office at Luton or redline esso. Give monarch personal a miss. Heard many a bad thing. A lot of refuelling depots use to them but Birmingham don’t neither do eat mids

Nighthawk.:
Try calling them direct - they based in Manchester

01257 478444
Or
01257 478650

0161 is area code for manchester…