Airline to pump up the tyres

Where can I buy a decent airline from to pump up the tyres and do I need any adapters or accessories to go with it and how does it work I have a airline thing in the cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t blow up truck tyres anymore since a guy I once knew lost his face doing so.
Too many potential dangers.
Don’t bother and take it to ATS I would say. :bulb:

robroy:
I don’t blow up truck tyres anymore since a guy I once knew lost his face doing so.
Too many potential dangers.
Don’t bother and take it to ATS I would say. :bulb:

Yea I regularly use tyre company’s because the job I do always getting punctures and sharp objects in the tyres. It’s just it will come in handy for a slow puncture so I can carry on till the end of the day

You’re more likely to deflate a tyre using that, as it’s actually there for putting air into the system. You need a line with a screw on valve for the air tanks

I use a line that I connect to the red air line on the back of the unit. Hopefully I can get a good connection on the tyre valve so I don’t have to stand next to the tyre.

Listen to the tyre when the air is going in if you must hold the line on the valve, if the tyre starts making noises stop adding air. :wink:

It’s up to you mate if you listen to advice or not, I aint fussed tbh.
Have a read up on potential dangers and ask yourself if it’s worth it.

robroy:
It’s up to you mate if you listen to advice or not, I aint fussed tbh.
Have a read up on potential dangers and ask yourself if it’s worth it.

Yea see what your saying would you say it’s best to do it at a petrol station?

Just google ‘tyre fitter killed by exploding tyre’. Hopefully that should be enough to put you off and leave it to an expert.

damoq:
Just google ‘tyre fitter killed by exploding tyre’. Hopefully that should be enough to put you off and leave it to an expert.

Yea I agree I will let them do it

On my old Volvo FH (circa 1997 ish)…

The airtanks had screw in valves on them facing outwards. I got a proper tyre pressure gauge (not cheap) and a length of the correct rubber hose from my local tyre fitters. It saved me a few times when pottering around Europe.

of course it was stolen when it went in for a service

James96:
Yea see what your saying would you say it’s best to do it at a petrol station?

Truck tyres are inflated to 100-120PSI. Very few petrol station pumps are capable of managing to do that no matter how much money you put in even though you can set them to that high.

I’ve made an exhaustive post on the topic on page 2 of this thread a few years back
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87976&start=30

You won’t blow one up using the dashboard valve…

You need an airline and a male connector like the part on the trailer that your red airline goes into. Plug it into your red airline and connect the other end to one of the thingymajigs that shows you the tyre pressure, around £60 for a good one at screwfix.

The easiest way is to have the airline with a male quick connector at one end and female at the other and the opposites on the parts you want to connect. Those bits are a couple of quid each.

Not a good idea,but if you want to take the risk in bypassing a tyre company or using a proper airline,thats your choice only yourself to blame if something goes wrong.

I used to be on a timber crane hauling round wood out of the woods and we used an airline all the time to get us out into civilisation and a phone signal. One I had had a brass screw fitting that screwed onto an air tank on the trailer. Yeah,it might be dangerous but so crossing the road! It was either that or a 8 or 10 mile walk to try and find a phone or a signal

I got mine off ebay, one end fits onto the red airline, and the other onto the valve, its only to be used to get you out of trouble :wink:

Its earned its worth ten times over :wink:

Anyone have the eBay link

One of my old Scanias came with a hose with a shraeder valve at each end for that very purpose, if never had to use it yet and probably never will unless like above I get stuck out in sticks and need a top up every now and again to get to somewhere what a fitter can get to. Probably not much of an issue here in the UK by might be when I get to NZ.

GOG47:
Yeah,it might be dangerous but so crossing the road!

True, but how far do you go with that analogy, you could say that about anything from using a pair of scissors to walking through a minefield. Ok, dramatic and ott yeh, but you get my point.

My risk assessment on this is…
‘Ok, so do I risk blowing my face off to save the firm (that has me down as just another arse on a truck seat) a call out charge, or not’… :bulb:

Where I work all the units have the air lines and we are expected to use it to get to one of our depots with to swap wheels when possible.