Air tube question

Hallo to everyone, Knows someone which couplings and tube measures for airpressure used the British truckbuiders till the end,or if they changed to Metric,when was it.
Was it still British standard (UNF) or like on the continent Metric thread.
And knows someone what they use in the US,is it or was it different from the British.
For boys who know old Volvo’s or Scania’s will know what I mean,Scania came with Metric from '81 (112-142).
And were there different threaded valves,we had them Metric but couplings with one side Metric and the other side British (UNF) to fit them.

Cheers Eric,

hallo, are there no mecanics or people who have experiance with this on this forum.Or have i no patience :smiley:

Cheers eric,

Seddon Atkinson were still using imperial pipework on the 2/3/401 and 2/3/411 model ranges, which would have been up to about 1990? IIRC there was a mixture of pipe connection fittings in use at the time air, valves were still threaded BSP, but the beginnings of the Imperial Eastman/Enotts? and Voss ranges had just started to come in along with the complication of special tools to fit the ferrules into the end of the pipe.

Once we had become accustomed to 6mm, 10mm and 12mm metric pipework and metric valve ports, MAN I think were the first to introduce 9mm pipe just to be thoroughly awkward and make the job harder.

The one major improvement was the introduction of valve port numbers for identification of function.

The USA equivalent of BSP is NPT which is a 60 degree rather than a 55 degree thread.

BSP is still in use in many applications.

A constant headache is the fact that hydraulic and automotive practice is entirely separate.

And then there were gas threads :open_mouth: there was never a straightforward application till we went onto metric threads but even those have variations. I still have a box of whitworth spanners rusting away somewhere from the days of working on Leylands.

same trubble a month ago when the compessor broke in the 143 ,had a good one from a 141 but the junktures did not fit in any way :imp:

Hallo, thanks for replaying CAV,trev and BMA Finnlandia. yes it is and will be always a headache to fit different thing. But in my case with the sweeds and US army WWII trucks, I can use a lot of water pipe couplings who fit together with the US couplings of the Sweeds to make connections in difficult bends to fit. the stap from US NTP to metric is more difficult but there exists couplings with one side US and the other with metric. But it becomes more and more difficult the find them,and so for the NTP couplings over here.
But it was interisting to hear your comments about it.

Cheers Eric,