Air Lines

Lately I’ve been suffering with leaky airlines and it’s only after having to screw the trailer round inside a shed regularly.

Is this a common problem. Does everyone go through two or three a month?

I know I’m gonna get slated for silly question of 2013. But it is a genuine concern.

Thanks in advance.

Air lines should last years under general wear and tear, as should abs leads. The ones that wear regular are your 2 electrical. They just wear at the head and loose contact giving bad connections. Id say new ones every 12 months with those 2 lines. That is with 90 degree turns and the odd jack now and again. If its a ridiculous turn i pop and shunt. 2/3 trailer changes a day i do.

Maybe you just need a new brass olive my good man.

If you have to screw it round that tight, why not drop the lines off and push the shunt button?

do you mean they are getting snagged on the curtain ratchet handles?
bungee ropes to keep the lines out of the way
minimize the number of turns on the rear curtain pole so the front curtain pole pulls the curtain overlap to cover the front ratchet handle

shuttlespanker:
If you have to screw it round that tight, why not drop the lines off and push the shunt button?

This is the answer your looking for ^^^

It is a walking floor so no curtain handles to snag it on.

Yes the turns are tight. Only just get it round without tail swing causing mischief.

It’s a good idea is that. Using shunt button with lines off. Will have to give it a go. Thanks.

May a stupid old duffer who knows absolutely nothing comment that if you had to pay for your trailer tyres you would take the time to make a shunt rather than “screwing it round”?
If there’s not enough room to shunt it then reverse the thing all the way in. Simples.

The title on the heading of this page includes the word, “professional”.

Retired Old ■■■■:
May a stupid old duffer who knows absolutely nothing comment that if you had to pay for your trailer tyres you would take the time to make a shunt rather than “screwing it round”?
If there’s not enough room to shunt it then reverse the thing all the way in. Simples.

We have a lot of delivery points where you have to screw it round. You wouldn’t be able to shunt or reverse in.
So your helpful advice wouldn’t work.

Haven’t found one yet.
But I’m prepared to be educated. Even at my age!

Yep, sometimes it’s the only way.
It’s not tight unless the trailer has to start going backwards and you can reach out and touch your trailer curtains from the driving seat :slight_smile:
I try and avoid if I’m heavy though.

Retired Old ■■■■:

I would agree with you 100% sir I was always taught to back in where possible.but health and safety nowadays won’t always allow that, B&Q is a prime example at alot of there stores you have to drive in and turn in a very tight marked out circle, so I usually tip first to get the weight off then pull the lines off and use the shunt button. Not trying to teach my granny to ■■■■ eggs but its the only way you will get tipped in some of these places.

bigtruck:

Retired Old ■■■■:

I would agree with you 100% sir I was always taught to back in where possible.but health and safety nowadays won’t always allow that, B&Q is a prime example at alot of there stores you have to drive in and turn in a very tight marked out circle, so I usually tip first to get the weight off then pull the lines off and use the shunt button. Not trying to teach my granny to ■■■■ eggs but its the only way you will get tipped in some of these places.

^^ ^^ x2
If there’s room enough to screw it round there’s room enough to turn it properly was my old gaffer’s quote and he was right to be honest. It would’ve been enough to get your cards for back in the day.
Some companies do insist upon no reversing in but then they are obliged to allow turning space. I doubt the safety elf would approve of a super single popping off the rim in someone’s workspace …

Well I will take my unprofessional ■■■ back off this forum and go back to where the unprofessional people belong.

Thanks for your input.

dar1976:
Well I will take my unprofessional ■■■ back off this forum and go back to where the unprofessional people belong.

Thanks for your input.

Nobody said you where un professional
But you will learn that in this job everyday is a school day !

Remove both lines before you spin it and press the shunt button.

Bking:
Remove both lines before you spin it and press the shunt button.

So, what about the electric lines?

Do they not matter?

Does the shunt button reset once you put air lines back on or do you need to go and manually reset it?

Soon as you put the red air line on the shunt button pops back outself, likewise the shunt button won’t engage with the red air line on. Some companies deactivate the shunt button to stop their shunters using it, a few of our trailers are like this so in tight yards have to take all lines off except the red.

Retired Old ■■■■:

Some of drops on dairy crest really tight and no option but to screw it jack knife it around also big no no at dc if caught moving trailers on shunt button h&s don’t you know

dar1976:
Does the shunt button reset once you put air lines back on or do you need to go and manually reset it?

Yes no need to touch it again.