Air line for tyre pressure

Evening all.
I would like to use an air line with gauge to check the pressure on my tyres, would be handy for a puncture possibly. Daf cf euro 6.
Remember ages ago seeing a driver plug a tyre and then using an air line running off the tank. I don’t know if you need a quick coupling or bolt the hose direct.
Basically, not got a clue.
Any ideas would be handy.
Thank you

Can’t help regarding the airline, but TBH I’d not be faffing about doing DIY temporary plug type repairs on someone else’s motor - especially with lorry tyres running pressures well North of 100psi.

For simply checking pressures get yourself a cheap pencil style gauge (just make sure it has a suitably high pressure range).

Rigid or artic unit ?
your truck or you drive it for someone ?
if its an artic unit then you can get either a adapter to screw directly on to the air tanks or a red line fitting a length of air hose and an inflation guage . If your driving for a company ring someone and tell them you have a soft tyre and what would they like you to do .

We carry an airline and tyre inflator which plugs into a suzie type connection on the back airtank on the chassis,handy if your down the road and find a tyre a bit low on pressure,
Any tyre problems are normally dealt with by tyre company.

Take it its your own motor,if not why are you bothering about a puncture or air line its your Boss`s problem not yours.let him sort it.

lolipop:
Take it its your own motor,if not why are you bothering about a puncture or air line its your Boss`s problem not yours.let him sort it.

its my problem on a friday afternoon great bit of kit for getting you out of jail

keepthefaith:

lolipop:

its my problem on a friday afternoon great bit of kit for getting you out of jail

Was thinking along them lines.
Pump a slow puncture to get back to the yard.

Roymondo:
Can’t help regarding the airline, but TBH I’d not be faffing about doing DIY temporary plug type repairs on someone else’s motor - especially with lorry tyres running pressures well North of 100psi.

For simply checking pressures get yourself a cheap pencil style gauge (just make sure it has a suitably high pressure range).

Fair enough pal.
I’ll get myself one of them, cheers

beefy4605:
Rigid or artic unit ?
your truck or you drive it for someone ?
if its an artic unit then you can get either a adapter to screw directly on to the air tanks or a red line fitting a length of air hose and an inflation guage . If your driving for a company ring someone and tell them you have a soft tyre and what would they like you to do .

Rigid.
True, not my lorry or firm

Commercial motor factor will make one up for you. Specify length of tube needed, and attach to red line when needed.

Screwfix sell a gauge…

Stephenjp:
Screwfix sell a gauge…

Always used to be standard kit on long haul trucks with enough hose to reach from the Red Suzie to the back of the trailer.
Now that we don’t go that far - and rarely out of Europe there’s not the same need and does anyone fix their own punctures now??

whisperingsmith:

Stephenjp:
Screwfix sell a gauge…

Always used to be standard kit on long haul trucks with enough hose to reach from the Red Suzie to the back of the trailer.
Now that we don’t go that far - and rarely out of Europe there’s not the same need and does anyone fix their own punctures now??

Never actually fixed a truck tyre, but changed a few wheels. Quicker than waiting for a call out, and easy enough.
Ive got a line thatll attach to red-line and tyre. As previously said it`s a good “get out of the mire” option. Good enough for getting a soft tyre up enough to go a few miles…ex boss always said “Why is you blokes always breakdown or get a puncture in a restaurant parking area?”

PS, even get a 45 break in on a wheel change too! :smiley:

Trucks run tyres at 120-130PSI so you’ll need a gauge good enough to measure that. Forget punctures, just get a tyre pressure gauge although it’ll be obvious when it’s too low to run on. 90PSI or less and if it’s been run on with any weight on then the tyre really should be changed as there is likely to be sidewall damage.

This one from Screwfix will go up to 130PSI

screwfix.com/p/laser-tyre-p … auge/7729r

I’ve got a thing from Halfords which also has a tread depth gauge too. Only goes up to 100PSI but that’s fine because by the time they look like you want to question what the pressure is they’ll be 100PSI or less. This one from Amazon looks almost identical but goes up to 120PSI so may be better.

amazon.co.uk/Digital-Pressu … 08ZS84PRR/

Screedygrab:
Evening all.
I would like to use an air line with gauge to check the pressure on my tyres, would be handy for a puncture possibly. Daf cf euro 6.
Remember ages ago seeing a driver plug a tyre and then using an air line running off the tank. I don’t know if you need a quick coupling or bolt the hose direct.
Basically, not got a clue.
Any ideas would be handy.
Thank you

For the love of God stay back from inflation of tyres if you don’t actually know what you re doing, buying a cheap attachment and hoping for the best is a sure fire way of a serious accident in the making.

I have seen a hgv tyre explode by over inflation whilst out a cage and it was horrible

Thanks again people!
Lot’s of don’t do it, why’s!? Fair enough.
Some helpful advice.
Seems a mixed point of view topic.
I’ll weigh it all up.

Conor:
Trucks run tyres at 120-130PSI so you’ll need a gauge good enough to measure that. Forget punctures, just get a tyre pressure gauge although it’ll be obvious when it’s too low to run on. 90PSI or less and if it’s been run on with any weight on then the tyre really should be changed as there is likely to be sidewall damage.

This one from Screwfix will go up to 130PSI

screwfix.com/p/laser-tyre-p … auge/7729r

I’ve got a thing from Halfords which also has a tread depth gauge too. Only goes up to 100PSI but that’s fine because by the time they look like you want to question what the pressure is they’ll be 100PSI or less. This one from Amazon looks almost identical but goes up to 120PSI so may be better.

amazon.co.uk/Digital-Pressu … 08ZS84PRR/

Hmm :unamused: ,your reading max pressures on the tyres,I run all my drive tyres at 100psi ,I wouldn’t want you inflating them higher ,may be stick to lorry driving Ey .

“Optimum truck tyre pressure
The optimum tyre pressure for your truck is printed on the tyres. The right tyre pressure will vary for each truck and will depend on a number of factors, such as format and weight. Generally speaking, the right tyre pressure for a truck is between 8 and 9 bar.”
daf.global/en/knowledge-bas … e-pressure

8 to 9 bar is approx 115 to 130 psi.

Franglais:
“Optimum truck tyre pressure
The optimum tyre pressure for your truck is printed on the tyres. The right tyre pressure will vary for each truck and will depend on a number of factors, such as format and weight. Generally speaking, the right tyre pressure for a truck is between 8 and 9 bar.”
daf.global/en/knowledge-bas … e-pressure

8 to 9 bar is approx 115 to 130 psi.

That’s a scary advise link for so many reasons. How many petrol station air lines are capable for 120psi!!
Even if a tyre shows a psi rating, don’t recall them for many makes, saying 14 psi is a tyre needing to be readjusted.
As for re-inflating, remember best practise is that at about 20% pressure drop should not be inflated but removed and investigated .

Acorn:
How many petrol station air lines are capable for 120psi!!

Who is discussing that?