Air horns.

Finally had enough of the embarrassment when I have to use the horn on my MAN and looking at a cheap set of air horns to replace the existing one. Seen some on eBay for about £15 which look fine. It says compressor not included but I’m presuming there will be a source if compressed air to tap into for the horns somewhere close by?

Also, is it perfectly legal to replace factory fitted horns with air horns in respect of MOT pass standards?

Cheers.

i got mine from hartshead westbound for about the same wired to the horn feed andtapped into airsupply for front cab airbag and its just gone through mot with flying colours :wink:

Sounds good mate. I’d like the ones that go on the side of the cab to be fair but don’t wanna start drilling and costing too much as its 06 and will probably be going when I’ve paid it off.

mounted mine near the original horn underneath didnt get em for show it was for the noise :slight_smile:

Yes and yes but, I’m assuming you’ve got a pathetic little electric affair under the grill, you can always connect one of the wires to a rocker switch on the dash so you can switch the new one on and off if you want.

Unless you want a shiny, shiny one on the roof you can always mount one behind the n/s step as it means less distance to take the electrical wires and air supply - also good for frightening pedestrians. You can buy with their own compressor built in if you don’t want to mess about with connecting up air.

xfmatt:
Finally had enough of the embarrassment when I have to use the horn on my MAN and looking at a cheap set of air horns to replace the existing one. Seen some on eBay for about £15 which look fine. It says compressor not included but I’m presuming there will be a source if compressed air to tap into for the horns somewhere close by?

Also, is it perfectly legal to replace factory fitted horns with air horns in respect of MOT pass standards?

Cheers.

I feel your pain we have a couple everytime I get cut up in it I’d just go to plonk my hand on the horn then think better off it!

you want the train horns, fasten them under the cab behind the passenger step, air pipe straight from the blank on the 1st tank near the batterys, electrical supply from you origonal horn straight to the terminals on the train horns, then you have loud as ■■■■ horns that take no installing and work off the button on the end of the indicator stalk, it really is as easy as it sounds, as long as you put the wires the other way round just before test {so you have a constant blast instead of the 2 tone and its MOT friendly as well}

The worst is when you get the young 'uns at the side of the road or on a motorway bridge giving you the noise request and you have to beep your beeper. :cry:

chaversdad:
you want the train horns, fasten them under the cab behind the passenger step, air pipe straight from the blank on the 1st tank near the batterys, electrical supply from you origonal horn straight to the terminals on the train horns, then you have loud as [zb] horns that take no installing and work off the button on the end of the indicator stalk, it really is as easy as it sounds, as long as you put the wires the other way round just before test {so you have a constant blast instead of the 2 tone and its MOT friendly as well}

Dont rush into purchase, join a forum first :laughing: trainhornforums.com/

Just don’t do what a pal of mine did and tap into the handy air feed he found behind the drivers side. Came bouncing into the quarry, pulled the lump of chain and disappeared from view behind the dashboard :laughing:

chaversdad:
you want the train horns, fasten them under the cab behind the passenger step, air pipe straight from the blank on the 1st tank near the batterys, electrical supply from you origonal horn straight to the terminals on the train horns, then you have loud as [zb] horns that take no installing and work off the button on the end of the indicator stalk, it really is as easy as it sounds, as long as you put the wires the other way round just before test {so you have a constant blast instead of the 2 tone and its MOT friendly as well}

To be honest with you ill probably give them to my fitter to fit them during 6 week inspection. Don’t like starting things I don’t know what I’m doing in case I ■■■■ it up!

as long as the horns all sound at the same time, and not one after the other, then it is perfectly legal and will fly through MoT

if they sound one after the other, then it will fail MoT

So have any of you got any suggestions as to which one is best off eBay and the likes please??

this is what you are aiming for

youtube.com/watch?v=ovpNRSZL8Fg

Imo i wouldn’t bother with any of them of ebay,ppl i know who have bought similar items only to stop working within 6 months. you need to find a train breakers and buy some genuine horns(did’nt buy mine borrowed them of an old train). i have two brass train horns and a couple of volvo electric over air switches to give them power,they were wired up to an old sun roof rocker switch in my Actros.

Now you all going the wrong way this is what u need! And yes mate I feel for u I have one aswell and when I use it it sounds like I’ve just come out of the circus! Ha ha! 44t and my car horn is louder no joke!

en.daf-club.com/video/daf-85-train-horn-400

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312208,-3.465034

mozzer44:
Now you all going the wrong way this is what u need! And yes mate I feel for u I have one aswell and when I use it it sounds like I’ve just come out of the circus! Ha ha! 44t and my car horn is louder no joke!

en.daf-club.com/video/daf-85-train-horn-400

I am here: maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.312208,-3.465034

Marvellous! Good job there weren’t a plod hiding down a side street nearby!