Air Horns

As there’s a thread on spotlights, who’s got air horns? We fit have them fitted by company, except a few (for some reason mine came without and I refused to pay for some, and Volvo FEs don’t have them). We used to have a Hadley horn on either side of cab roof but now they’re the two stuck together type. They’re expensive to buy though…

Muckaway:
As there’s a thread on spotlights, who’s got air horns? We fit have them fitted by company, except a few (for some reason mine came without and I refused to pay for some, and Volvo FEs don’t have them). We used to have a Hadley horn on either side of cab roof but now they’re the two stuck together type. They’re expensive to buy though…

If you don’t manage to get ‘■■■■’ in the post I ain’t intrested.

Muckaway:
for some reason mine came without and I refused to pay for some

I tend to drive in such a manner that any kind of horn is superfluous, but Hey ! I respect your need to show your presence on the road.

Chas:

Muckaway:
for some reason mine came without and I refused to pay for some

I tend to drive in such a manner that any kind of horn is superfluous, but Hey ! I respect your need to show your presence on the road.

Daf did put good horns on Foden Alphas…

i have them on the merc,they were on it wen we took them over,we have 5 of them but only mine has them.

Chas:

You mean you drive like an old lady. You’re the reason everybody else needs horns.

:smiling_imp:

Personally I prefer merc and IVECO horns…

The standard fit IVECO air horns always sound a bit too tuneful to be serious…And if one of them drops off (not uncommon, there’s a surprise - and it’s usually the lower-toned one) the remaining single sounds downright camp! :blush: :blush: :blush:

I have got air horns on the merc actros I drive, they came as an optional extra I think as there is a normal car horn fitted but there is a button on the dash which when pressed switchs the horns around so th air horns work off the stalk, they r quite loud and deep too, am pleased with them

stagedriver:

The Merc i drive has a horn that sounds like it came off a bloody scooter :laughing:

I drive an MAN, i tend to avoid using the horn as much as possible, saves on embarressment then!

Those are American train horns, the mother of all horns!

You want loud? THIS IS LOUD!

i once pressed my airhorn button by mistake whilst sat in stationary traffic right in the middle of roadworks thinking it was the screen wash thingy , scared the living crap out of everybody , including me , and i spent the next 10 mins or so feeling like i should be on crime watch … :blush:

andi_cardiff:
I drive an MAN, i tend to avoid using the horn as much as possible, saves on embarressment then!

Probably the same one on my Merc.

bowser:
i once pressed my airhorn button by mistake whilst sat in stationary traffic right in the middle of roadworks thinking it was the screen wash thingy , scared the living crap out of everybody , including me , and i spent the next 10 mins or so feeling like i should be on crime watch … :blush:

Yeah, i can see how that would be abit of a ball ache :laughing:
My old man used to have an old Bedford TL 7’1/2 tonner back along, I bought this huge single chime horn for hit that was on the shelf in the BRS stores where I worked, i can still remember paying about 60 quid for it. It had the chain hanging down in the cab, the real deal truck air horn. Dam funny at the time on an old Bedford Luton body but boy was it loud :laughing: :laughing:

I was delivering concrete floor beams to Midland Rd, Bristol once and the crane had broken down so I had to sit there for hours. Boredom brings out an evil streak in me. It’s quite a slope on that road and I was watching some young lady, loaded with bags walk across the road when I wondered what the effect of a quick blast of air horn would do. She dropped the lot. Oranges, apples, melons etc rolling past me, quicker than she could run to catch them. Once she had collected the bits that hadden’t been run over she headed to my cab. I got out to attempt some kind of apology, but could hardly see her for the tears in my eyes. I did my best not to laugh but just couldn’t hold it together and crumpled with that shaking thing that happens when you’re holding it in. As soon as I hit the floor, by now laughing like a full lunatic again, she marched right up to me and I was expecting a kicking. I think the shock and anger had left her by this time and she was now calling me a bar-steward and laughing as well.
I’ve often wondered if you could be done for scaring someone with air horns?

a friend of mine has a foden wrecker with the chain type deal on it , i sat in it having a look and thought id give the horn a quick toot , you know like you do and it stuck on . made everybodys ears bleed that did so yes proper loud buggers they are … :open_mouth:

Gembo:

stagedriver:

The Merc i drive has a horn that sounds like it came off a bloody scooter :laughing:

My Merc’s the same :blush:

I have an MAN and the horn is feeble so I don’t use it.
I used to have a foden with a diesel train horn on the back of the cab and the noise made people jump about 3 feet high as you gave them a blast of it

SmashedCrabFace:

Chas:

You mean you drive like an old lady. You’re the reason everybody else needs horns.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: