Air Freight Companies around Heathrow

Hi all…
I was idly wondering ( not idly wandering as usual ) about times gone by…
My first driving jobs were working for various outfits around the airport , in those days you could leave a job ( or get the bullet , in the morning and be working elsewhere after lunch :laughing: , the only two that I can recall clearly are T and L Transport and Jayden Transport… T and L were Colnbrook area and Jayden ( might be Jaden ) Ran out of Ashford , Middx.
T and L had a mixed fleet of Scanny 110s doing Europe and smaller stuff like Transits doing air freight.
I just wondered if anyone has any memories of those firms?

I remember particularly, Eric Jaden , the boss… he did very well out of us… drove an Interceptor and had a big old drum out Weybridge way… mind you he might have had other interests other than transport… :wink: Allegedly.

Cheers all… Baldrick.

What about Roy Bowles Transport or SAMS Transport - both from Feltham way?

There was a firm ATWS from Hayes that used to park their wagon and drags at Westerns yard in Warrington. We used to sub groupage stuff to them for the South East and they’d sometimes backload for the North West (a lot of their drivers from the NW)

Thanks for the replies fellas… yes i remember Roy Bowles… they were quite big players…
Another one was Carrols , not so big in them days… I went to school with the son , I imagine he took the firm over in later years…

IIRC,didn’t Concorde have a depot around Heathrow,no pun intended!?

David

On the A30 Great West Road I think… long time ago now …
Couple of their exes post on here so they’ll put us straight :wink:

Airlink MAN from 1975.

Click on twice.

clip man airlink 75.PNG

Not so much Heathrow based, but when I was doing airfreight with Taft International at Manston (one of the best jobs I had), we used to have a right laugh loading in Heathrow, (and on the beer in BRU, FRA etc.) with the English guys on Balkenende, Jan de Rjike, R.G.Ford and Birds of Brum.

We also used to deliver into Tims Transport - again, cracking bunch of lads. I fondly remember tipping fruit and veg that would land at Manston at their loading bay under the take off path of 09R the last week Concorde was flying. The pilots were rather lax about take off thrust / engine noise in that last week - wanting to give her a good send off, and would give it full chat after rotate right over Tims coldstore.

Not so much Heathrow based, but when I was doing airfreight with Taft International at Manston (one of the best jobs I had), we used to have a right laugh loading in Heathrow, (and on the beer in BRU, FRA etc.) with the English guys on Balkenende, Jan de Rjike, R.G.Ford and Birds of Brum.

We also used to deliver into Tims Transport - again, cracking bunch of lads. I fondly remember tipping fruit and veg that would land at Manston at their loading bay under the take off path of 09R the last week Concorde was flying. The pilots were rather lax about take off thrust / engine noise in that last week - wanting to give her a good send off, and would give it full chat after rotate right over Tims coldstore.