Agency Worker New Legislation

Are you aware of the new legislation recently brought out regarding self employed workers. Agencies will now be fined if any worker is falsely self employed. Do you require any help or guidance with the new legislation?

Yes please, could you provide a link to the new legislation :slight_smile:

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … ponses.pdf

Some agencies are currently switching all workers to PAYE to stop them getting caught by the new legislation. What type of drivers are you?

Any individual Agency worker who is under any supervision, direction or control will have to switch to PAYE

CWCSolutions:
Any individual Agency worker who is under any supervision, direction or control will have to switch to PAYE

By the very definition of our job “driver” we take goods where we are told to, that goes for every driver up and down the country, even if it’s your own motor, a client/customer will tell you where the goods want to be, which is ‘direction’.

Supervision, well no one sits in my cab watching what I’m doing and supervising me with load restraints etc.

I’m not a puppet either so no under controll, unless my boss is Paul McKenna and is secretly controlling me from his lair.

This may explain why I have had no calls lately! :wink:

These is an employment status check which can be taken on HMRC website hmrc.gov.uk/calcs/esi-01.htm which is for those who are not under agency legislation however we are requesting all our drivers to complete this as extra evidence that they are self employed

May I ask how much CWC charge to process a pay slip.

Depends on the different solutions we provide.

PAYE Umbrella is £12.50 per payment with an optional £1.50 personal accident insurance
SOLO gross payment (If you have your own accountant) is £12.50 per payment with a mandatory £3.00 public liability insurance and optional £1.50 personal accident insurance
SOLO Plus (when we act as your accountant) £12.50 per payment as above, with an additional £99 plus VAT to complete tax return on your behalf at the end of the tax year.
Limited Company (when we act as your accountant) £24.50 per payment this includes completion of year accounts, tax return, corporation tax return, annual companies house return.

I work for different Agencies, also sell a few cars and do a bit plumbing so without doing the test am I right to consider myself self employed?

You can be PAYE and self-employed at the same time.

HMRC might take the view that your agency work should be PAYE regardless of the other occupations. Your other work, where there is financial risk, you are supplying tools and materials and managing your time etc, is more likely to be regarded as self-employment.

GasGas:

HMRC might take the view that your agency work should be PAYE regardless of the other occupations. Your other work, where there is financial risk, you are supplying tools and materials and managing your time etc, is more likely to be regarded as self-employment.

Exactly that, you could still be self employed and PAYE at the same time, the only problem you may have is if you go through multiple agencies with different umbrella companies then your tax could differ from one to another. When you submit your tax return at the end of the tax year you can just put a P45 on there for your PAYE work .

Does CWC have an option where they pay someone as self employed (when they provide UTR number) and don’t deduct any tax or NIC.

Dipper_Dave:
Does CWC have an option where they pay someone as self employed (when they provide UTR number) and don’t deduct any tax or NIC.

Yes we do, that is the SOLO product. This is at £12.50 per payment no matter how much you earn, I know some umbrella companies charge based on how much you earn. If you wanted us to complete tax return at the end of the tax year £99 plus VAT.

We would deduct a percentage to start off with until we receive confirmation of your UTR and that you complete your own taxes.

Thanks, I take it I would receive that percentage back when UTR is received.

I know Umbrella companies can be frowned upon a bit but I use one as its less hassle than setting up a limited company (for me anyway) + I can choose to have my timesheets held and paid fortnightly so only pay 50% fees as opposed to a weekly fee.

GasGas:

You can indeed, I currently am although not in transport.

No. Im not changing the way I work. Ive been s/e for about three years and I think its great. I only work part time, about 3 days a week.

Last year…

Total earned about £15k plus about £1000 vat back on the flat rate scheme. = £16000
£9400 Personal allowance, about £4500 expences. tax to pay on £900 = £180 tax for the year.

So…nearly £16000 in my pocket for 3 days a week when it suits me.

I understand its very debatable regarding the “legality” of working self employed as we do, but until they come knocking Im sticking with it. At the end of the day if they come and ask for more money then Ill give it to them I suppose. But Im banking on them having bigger fish to fry. Well see.

Coffeeholic:

GasGas:

You can indeed, I currently am although not in transport.

+1, cos I’m in the same boat too. :smiley:

Or an employee of your own company…

Ken.

CWCSolutions:
Depends on the different solutions we provide.

PAYE Umbrella is £12.50 per payment

Seems like an expensive “umbrella” to me. Is it very waterproof? :stuck_out_tongue:
Why would someone pay to be on PAYE?