agency work

as I usually do I’ve had a pint or two and spent my Sunday generally unwinding and pondering things.

most people like to reminisce about days gone by and how things have changed. a big moaning point is the way agencies have spread like a cancer slowly wiping out the full time direct jobs.

the way it works is that a driver signs up with them, then if they have work they allocate it to a driver. this is all well and good if they have good contracts, but you never really know what you’re going to get. when you’re a newbie who already has a job (albeit a job you hate or a job that you just want to leave to follow your dreams) do you take a risk on the word of an agency and leave, hoping there is work? how about when you’ve been driving for years and for some reason you want to change jobs. most of the good full time jobs are never advertised, do you take a risk? trust the agency to do what they said they will and send you to the job they told you about? if you have responsibilities, do you walk out of a secure job and take the risk?

I do miss the days when companies advertised jobs and interviewed people. but those days are fast coming to an end. most of the ads in the paper are for agencies, lots of times the jobs don’t actually exist, its a bums on seats exercise. I’ve been caught many a time with the promise of a certain job with a certain firm, only to leave a job and be passed from pillar to post.

on the other hand, I’ve had good jobs, higher rates of pay than any full time position and a couple of agencies have given me a full time contract with guaranteed hours (even if I wasn’t working I’d get 40hrs pay) I’ve worked part time when the mood took me.

but if I decided that I wanted a new job, would I wait for a full time job? its hard to knock on doors when you work full time. most of the full time jobs get swallowed by agencies. or would I take the risk, trust an agency to do what they promise?

then if you look at it from the other side, if you were an employer, would you advertise in the paper? or would you ring the agency? how do you get the best people? if you advertise, you have to wait, interview and you are bound by employment law. if you ring the agency you get someone instantly, but what quality? if they don’t work out you just ring and get them to send someone else. but you could find the perfect candidate then they get a better offer from the agency and your back to square one.

whether I like it or not, agencies are here to stay and jobhunting of the future will become more and more “production line”

I went into an agency years ago and they reeled off a list of companies and jobs that were available for “immediate start” funny but they all disappeared when it came time to start.

it seems a poor way to operate. if a company needs a temp, immediate start is understandable. if you want the best person for permanent staff, they will probably be employed already and would need to work notice. would you employ someone who was willing to drop an employer of many years with no notice? what does that say about the persons commitment and reliability?

I’ve heard it said that if we stop feeding the agencies that they would die out. but for better or worse they are here to stay. with an ever increasing queue of drivers getting longer by the day, are we doomed to a ‘fast food’ system of employment where the only winners are the middle men who provide a blind date workforce?

Some very good points there, Ive been having a dilemma recently which has me thinking the same way.

I recently passed my class 2, as I am in a full time contracted job, nothing to do with driving, If I want to leave I have to give my 4 weeks notice, but what is to say that when I come to the end of my 4 weeks that there will be any work for me?

As I said I am in full time employment, which doesnt give me a lot of time to be knocking on doors with my CV, but I do try my best. Most of them have said I need experience, so I thought the easiest way to gain experience would be to start with an agency but im back to square one? lol

Oh well Im sure something will come up, im not moaning about it, because at the end of the day i am in employment at the moment.

Tom

I can’t see agencies dying out as more and more of the bigger companies use them. It gives them the ability to drop drivers when they don’t need them rather than having to keep them on their payroll. A gas company with mini bulk tankers used to employ 100% of it’s drivers, now it retains a minimum number employed drivers and as and when required, makes up the numbers with agency.

Another gas company who were British for over 100 years, now owned by the Germans have stated that they will never employ any more drivers. As natural wastage occurs they will replace those with agency drivers.

its sad really. we are moving towards a employed version of self employment. temping is the norm, job security has never been worse. how’s the economy ever going to recover when most people have no job security and are cautious taking risks with loans and mortgages?

now we have the added annoyance of umbrella companies. many don’t understand how they operate and get caught out :frowning:

its no wonder really that the brokers get away with perpetuating the driver shortage myth. anyone would be very lucky to get their training paid for, when you leave school and want to be a mechanic or a plumber etc, there are apprentice schemes in place to make it happen wherever you live. drivings not like that. there are very few training schemes.you don’t go straight into it, usually you leave school, wait until you’re old enough, then if you have a job pay for your own training. with the amount of lorries on the road there SHOULD be a shortage logically■■?

we are overwhelmed with a sea of adverts by agencies advertising “bums on seats” jobs. when you work in the trade, you learn what the score is, but I can understand how someone new would be taken in by the hype. logically there should be a shortage.

One or two Hauliers around here have started their own internal Agencies, Mcdowells / JMD solutions, providing drivers for their own fleet and externally. Same as any other agency but all the fees and charges are kept internally, (lots of tax benefits there i fancy ?) even the umbrella company kick backs are kept internally . “Set on and lay off” at will , with no employee rights whatsoever genius, wait until the penny drops and the rest of the major hauliers jump on the band wagon, the independent agencies will dwindle.