Agency work

Hi, i’v recently passed my Class 2 and I’m doing my mod 4 on tuesday so i’ll be ready to find work on wednesday.

it looks like i’m going to have to do agency work for a couple of years but i was just wondering if anyone has any tips?

and do i need to pick one agency and sign up with them or can you sign up to multiple agencies?

Can you normally find agency work where you’ve actually got a 5 or 6 day week? i’m dreading just bitting and bobbing and struggling to earn a half decent wage.

Thanks.

Get signed up with as many as possible, however why not try visiting some local companies to see if they want drivers, the personal touch sometimes works.

I would only use agencies as a last resort but some people love using them and have great success.

Good luck though and keep us posted

no one will touch you if you haven’t got 2 years experience, iv been applying for jobs but no luck yet.

Bulla, if you look at the larger companies you may get some luck, a close friend has just started working for fowler welch and she only had her licence for 2 months. It is worth putting the leg work in

Hi Bulla and welcome!!

From the posts on Trucknet it seems that signing up with more than one agency is pretty normal. I signed up with a local agency that was recommended by my trainer and so far they’ve come up trumps giving me pretty well full time work with a local firm. I had been planning to register with a couple of other agencies but haven’t had the chance to yet. If my work dries up with the present agency then I will register with a couple of others.

For what it’s worth I’ve taken the approach that I need to be completely flexible to maximise my opportunities with the agency - until I’ve held my licences for two years then I need to get some miles and work experience behind me. So I’ve said that I’ll take anything behind a steering wheel that pays and so far I’ve been doing mainly multidrop Class 2 work. In booking me in again for more work tomorrow my agency guy said that he’s going to be looking for some class 1 work for me in the next few weeks.

The way my agency works is that they are effectively a dating agency - they introduce me to firms that need a driver and I do my best to make a good enough impression that they ask for me by name in the future. In time it’s expected that I’ll build up a ‘portfolio’ of companies that I would drive for regularly and in so doing I’ll get steady work. I imagine that other agencies work the same…? So I’m working hard to make a good impression and so far the work is coming in.

Good luck and as MysonVinnie says, keep us posted!!

Best wishes,

Lazlo

Bulla:
no one will touch you if you haven’t got 2 years experience, iv been applying for jobs but no luck yet.

I passed my Cat CE under 9 weeks ago and got a full time job 5 weeks ago. The advice on this thread is spot on whichever route you decide to take, agencies or permanent job. The company I work for weren’t advertising for drivers, I just turned up and said ‘gis a job mister’ and have been working for them ever since. Get out and about and speak to people, applications in the post will get thrown in the bin or forgotten about, you need to capture their attention and the only way to do that is face to face.

Hello like lazlo says mate its the best way to get expeariece in fact i took a full time job with good money but didnt like the work and missed the veriaty so I went back to the agents im with 4 now and you can bet that either none ring or they all ring on the same day pmsl :open_mouth: but it veriaty and i can say hand on heart that they have all been ok witth me .
one thing i will say is always take a photo of any damage to the vehicle before you drive it out of the yard and i now take a photo of my load before and after each drop ( on multy drop work) that way you cant get the blame for anything just in case as last week happened they put a drop on the wrong truck or not been put on the truck at all and they think you have left it at the wrong delivery address … :wink: as you will find that you nead to cover your own back agency drivers get the blame a lot … when some one messes up :smiley: .
But I still love the veriaty Also if you go self employed there are a lot more tax benifits .i.e travel expencies/ meal expencies // ect
best regards Roy