Agency work

I’ve just been checking back through my “work book” and the period 1/01/09 - 1/05/09 I’ve had the grand total of 18days work from the agency…the term “don’t worry things will start to pick up next month” they keep telling me somehow doesn’t fire me up with enthusiasm any more…anybody else feel the same way?

pm on way

I posted on here a week or so ago that i had only 29 days work from the first of January!!.

tortoise:
I posted on here a week or so ago that i had only 29 days work from the first of January!!.

More than me then :smiley:

To be honest i have spent most of my time on here looking for seasonal work to tide me over. And i don’t mean driving, i mean anything.

I hope you guys have been signing on when you’ve not had work and claimed the JSA you’re entitled to.

Northamptonguy341:
I’ve just been checking back through my “work book” and the period 1/01/09 - 1/05/09 I’ve had the grand total of 18days work from the agency…the term “don’t worry things will start to pick up next month” they keep telling me somehow doesn’t fire me up with enthusiasm any more…anybody else feel the same way?

Totally agree with you N/guy. Certainly up here in Scotland, things are definitely not “picking up”. People just seem to use that term (“don’t worry things will pick up”) as a punchline, without any concrete evidence to back it up

Companies are deliberately dropping their drivers’ hourly rates and salaries which is bad enough. But what’s worse are all the “temporary” jobs that are being advertised, at an hourly rate which is usually a lot less than what the “permanent” drivers who work for the same company are getting, who are already doing the same job.
Any decent full time driving job that get’s advertised is understandably inundated with hundreds of calls/applications - hence the reason the adverts stay in public view for only a few hours.

Agencies…I learnt many years ago not to believe a ■■■■ word they say to you! They may be necessary, but they are a necessary evil! :imp:

does anyone have any positive things to say about their agency…or agency work in general?

HOW many of us got our first break with an agency?Would you ever break your duck without them.I reported to a yard once was told you are agency so no fob for fuel have to get storeman to fill you up and he very busy man as he counts the paper towels as well.After weeks work Your agency, you cant use our pressure washer because I am going to use it, AND it takes me an hour to wash my tipper I left their tipper just a bit muckier than when I got it

xamtex:
does anyone have any positive things to say about their agency…or agency work in general?

“positive” might be a bit optimistic…but in general if the works there they’re gonna ring you, after all that’s why they are in business, in the current climate any work has to be a bonus for both sides.
If the agency was totally honest and told you “nothing doing, you may as well look elsewhere”, that’s what folks would do, and it’s in their interests to have as many signed on with them as possible, I would say sign up with more than one, then there’s more chance of getting a few days here and there.
When times are good drivers can call the shots, right now the agencies are in the driving seat, pardon the pun.
Times will get better, personally I would say don’t expect any real turnaround before 2011. :frowning:

Just checked, I have done 59 days from 1/1 to today (no idea if that is good or bad) - but apart from early feb, things seem to have been okay, with at least 3 days work each week. since the beginning of May, i have worked every day bar 2 that i have been available.

at work tomorrow and wednesday, then have 5 days holiday (paid), then been told i will have a full week after that. plus the agency have picked up two more contracts.

from reading other comments, i think i have been lucky to find an agency that is relatively busy. However, i do know they have cut two members of staff, and are not taking on drivers at the moment

i have had 64 shifts so far this year…1 dead week,1 week holiday…averages about 4 shifts a week…some weeks…2 shifts…some 5 or 6…i get some asap work…some advance bookings…pays the bills…
a bloke i know was made redundant recently and several agencies told him they were not signing any new drivers at the moment.
maybe i should have sent my lot a card at christmas?

jan/feb started of lean, with 1-3 days a week, then a new contract kicked in and Ive had 56 days to now + 2 weeks holiday, today is the 1st day Ive been unexpectedly laid off, and thats because the truck is in for service. normal service should resume

peirre:
jan/feb started of lean, with 1-3 days a week, then a new contract kicked in and Ive had 56 days to now + 2 weeks holiday, today is the 1st day Ive been unexpectedly laid off, and thats because the truck is in for service. normal service should resume

Congrats to you Peirre seems the new contract your agency got was a genuine one all the ones I signed up with mysteriously seem to disappear with “oh we are still waiting on the client to sign”…“only a few weeks now before they sign”…glad your agency was telling you the truth.

ive had 36 shifts since 1st jan 09 plus 2 weeks paid holiday plus 1 weeks training. :confused:

Well the agency just rang. I have 2 days work and one night away to Norfolk as of tomorrow. Fingers crossed for next week!!.

Northamptonguy341:
Congrats to you Peirre seems the new contract your agency got was a genuine one all the ones I signed up with mysteriously seem to disappear with “oh we are still waiting on the client to sign”…“only a few weeks now before they sign”…glad your agency was telling you the truth.

Ive been with this agency for 3yrs+ and the current clients (DHL) site for slightly less, but FAIK the agy is the "prefered" agy for DHL. I was originally working on the "general haulage" side to RDCs etc. but when DHL took over the prison (NOMs) contract outbasing 2-3 rigid 14T-18T trucks in the yard here, I was asked to go onto it. it was originally decided that with the demise of the MFI depot at Thorne 4+ drivers would transfer over to this contract, so the agy drivers where only a stop gap for 4-5 weeks till the drivers came, fortunately for me, they never did :smiley: The nature of the job, and the erratic hours & start times put them off. slowly 1 by 1 a lot of staff (inc warehouse) who transfered over or where on secondment have left saying the job isnt to their taste.

Looking back I’ve had 30 days up till now, which is shocking, was up with our lad off and on last night until around 5am this morning when he finally settled, I get my head down wake up and I’ve had five missed calls from the agency wanting me in to work today tomorrow and friday DOH :open_mouth: rang her back, today has been sorted and she will see if she can get me something for tomorrow and friday.

The joy of children :unamused: