AGENCY WORK

Hi
Having recently just passed my lgv 1 I have been ringing around the agencies
one of them has offered me some night trunking work which appeals to me
to get some experience the only problem is that they have asked me to sign a form stating that I will any parking tickets and also if I have a fault accident I will
have £250 deducted out of my wages for the agencies insurance excess.
Could anyone advise me if this normal practice?

tell them to ram it mate,if you have an accident ,the company that your driving for will have the insurrance cover for there fleet.i think it’s because you have just passed your class one.i’d phone someone else mate.good luck and welcome to trucknet. :wink:

Find another agency. All agencies should have their own insurance to cover accidental damage caused by their drivers. Although, having said that, it’s not cheap and they have to cover their liabilities.

Look for an agency that is a member of a professional organisation, such as the REC (Recruitment and Employment Confederation). They have their own website and search engine. Well worth a look.

Welcome to TruckNetUK, Saabss.

I’m not really up to date with Agency practises any more, but I think its becoming standard practise about the ‘at fault’ accidents. The parking tickets though, I would argue about. There are places where you have to unload where you are likely to pick-up parking tickets. These should be passed to the customer, often through your agency, for payment. If on the other hand you park illegally, to go to the chippy for eg, then the parking ticket is all yours and IMHO quite rightly.

Good luck with the agency work, night trunking is a good way to get some confidence in yourself and some experience. It pays better than days as well, but you need to get out during the day, in an artic, ASAP to really gain the stroppy attitude you need to be a proper trucker :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :unamused:

I would tell them to shove it too! It just sets a precedent that other companies will follow. If you sign this then they will find any excuse to remove £250 from your wages. Our £400 Accident Bonus was lost if we had the slightest scrape, but at least it was Bonus, not wages!

We used to get a dozen parking tickets a week in London, having to unload on Red Routes or Double Yellows because the customers thought they were too important to leave their office for 20 minutes.

simon,if you do go to a delivery/collection and it has double yellows,cars parked etc and you park on them or double park then that is your fault,not the company and if you think that companies will pay a fine for your own stupidity,then your wrong.if you can’t get parked then you don’t do it irrespective what the customer or the boss say’s.you break the law for no one. it’s up to the customer to provide appropriate unloading/loading area’s :wink: [/b]

My job involved delivering new cars to corporate customers KK. There are not many multi story car parks that you can get a wagon and drag into within the city

Wheel Nut:
My job involved delivering new cars to corporate customers KK. There are not many multi story car parks that you can get a wagon and drag into within the city

sorry then mate they would need public transport then,or collect the car themselves :wink:

If they asking for parking tickets to be paid for plus the first £250 of any accident claim then is it worth working for them?. My answer would be NO.
As an example of the type of accident that can happen on nights, I was asked to put a truck on bay X, having done so the zb who had asked me to do so then told me I had broken his flood light by crushing it between my truck & the wall, I pointed out that as it was not on & as I was not warned by the zb who had told me to use the bay, how the zb was I to know that pulling onto that bay would crush a light I could not see.
Following some arguments he stopped asking for me to fill in an accident form as he realised what I would write & that his load would not get deliverd, but had I signed a contract like yours it would have his word, as a TM who put a lot of money through the agency books, aginst mine.
Also do you think the agency will pay you if you refuse to deliver some where as you cannot park or wait legally ?.

AFAIK the agency I work for do not do this. Don’t know if I can name them here but I don’t see why not!

They have been pretty good to me although I’m still waiting for some class 1 work, and I’ve just had 2 days doing multi-drop in a transit. I was even offered a job with the company doing it.

Never mind - back in a truck in the morning 5.30 start though :frowning:

Paying insurance excess? No way,thats down to the people running the business.Parking tickets? If they want the goods delivered that day THATS down to them.Speeding tickets etc are YOURS. :wink:

I started with a new agency recently who have inundated me with phone calls and offers of work , when i first started i had to sign a contract after reading it it said they would deduct £1 every week for employers liability insurance i went ballistic at them saying i wasnt paying it.

They rewrote the contract :slight_smile:.

Its my quid not theirs and as for insurance excess its nothing to do with the agency thats to do with the guy who,s truck you are driving,the agecny dont insure the truck the owner does.

Did an agency job a few years back. Had a 16’3" double deck trailer on night trunk.
Was diverted off the motorway M5 I think it was.
To cut a long story short whilst on the detour wacked a tree branch which took a chunk of fibreglass off the top of the trailer.
There you go mate, just lost £250 it’s that easy!!!
Tell them to ball ■■■■■.

Parking tickets I agree with, If there is nowhere to park, then don’t make the delivery. Its not your fault there’s nowhere to park.

Excess though, seems a bit odd. Perhaps it is due to your lack of experience. Not sure I’d work under that