Agency Work

Good evening,

Hope everyone is keeping well? This is a post mainly to the newly passed drivers, but does anyone else get nervous when booking agency work?

I passed last year C+E and haven’t done much driving work, but now I am looking to go into it full time. I am currently looking to get some weekend shifts and I must admit that I’m not very confident with not knowing what to expect. (For example) I have only used box trailers so having to pull a curtainsider or a trailer with a tail lift is the first issue. Then there is not knowing the depots, and so haven’t got a clue how tight they are going to be. Then there is the vehicle itself in case it might be a different make/model to what I am used to.

For the professional drivers, is it just a case of getting on with it and asking for help if I get stuck, or would it be better possibly starting in a class 2 to get some further knowledge. I am not to fussed about the money at the moment just wanting to gain experience.

Many thanks

Regards,

Izzy7172

It’s pretty much a case of getting on with it and asking about anything you’re not sure about.

Try and get a bit of trunking work, it’s usually pretty straightforward so probably a good way to start.

Good luck :wink:

NEVER be afraid to ask for help no matter what you’re in. I started on rigids before getting my Class 1 and will always say it was good to get the experience that way then move on…I’m pretty sure lots will disagree with me on that.
As for the butterflies…I still get them and hope I always will. I been with the same company almost a year now on agency and still get them with every new drop. Different trailers and makes just add to your job skills and experience…don’t be scared of them…embrace them and you’ll soon gain the confidence for different scenarios.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Just take your time. If yor required to use a tail lift ask how to use it and also make sure that there are power leads for the tail lift in the unit. Any thing you feel unsure about, ask someone… there is never a stupid question… but you you can look like a right stupid k**b when you mess a truck up because you didnt ask.

Good luck

Hi Izzy!

I embarked on full time driving just three weeks ago, (Class 2) like you I was nervous as to what to expect. In these weeks I have driven 4 different trucks, each one with a different tail lift, two of them the first autos I’ve ever driven. I’d never been to any of the places on my manifest, had pretty much no clue what to expect. I quickly learned to ask ask ask! If it’s a new vehicle I make sure I can operate the tail lifts, doors and curtains before I leave the yard. I show my manifest to other drivers before I leave and they willingly give me info and tips about how to enter, reverse etc etc. If I have a dreaded ‘unknown’ (in my case mostly residential) I do as much research as I can beforehand and make sure I have a phone number so I can get info about the drop spot from the horses mouth if necessary.
As I spend a lot of my time thinking ‘should I really be driving this gurt truck into this tiny village’ I like to be sure I can get out before I go in, thus reducing the amount of apples/plums etc left in my wake! I’ve done a fair bit of walking to check out exactly how I need to get the truck in, I’ve learned not to just hope there will be turning space!

I’m sure I’ve been a bit of a PITA at my depot because I’ve asked so many questions, but in reality all the other drivers have been amazingly helpful and only too willing to help.

I’m just about to go into my fourth week tomorrow, and I feel much more relaxed now, I realise that although there will be regular drops there will always be curve balls too, and I’m pretty sure regular drivers in steady jobs feel the same nervousness when they see an unknown destination on their run sheet.

Tomorrow I may get a truck I’ve driven before in an area I’ve been to already, or I may get a completely different truck and a whole new locality, but whichever it is I’ll just take each drop as it comes one by one. Most importantly I try not to pressurise myself to rush, especially when reversing, and I no longer give a toss who’s watching!!

Relax, trust yourself and you will be absolutely fine!

As for the butterflies…I still get them and hope I always will. I been with the same company almost a year now on agency and still get them with every new drop. Different trailers and makes just add to your job skills and experience…don’t be scared of them…embrace them and you’ll soon gain the confidence for different scenarios.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
[/quote]
Great quote if you are a little nervous in a situation (in a good way) you will be wary and careful. Other day I went straight from on rigid to a twin axle 3 mtr longer. Driven one before but still was a little cautious!

Izzy7172:
I passed last year C+E and haven’t done much driving work, but now I am looking to go into it full time. I am currently looking to get some weekend shifts

Why only weekend shifts :question:

Its very scary going to new places initially, but eventually it becomes a little more routine. Expect the agency to gave lied about your experience, and be sure to be honest about your experience if asked, as employers will generally appreciate it.

As for drops, even after a few months I always Google map the location with satellite view. Partly helps work out how to get in and also to check the address is right - amazing just how many postcodes point to a housing estate not the place you want.

Oh and don’t be afraid to tell the office it just cant be done if theres cars in the way or its just doable in an artic (if driving one). People really don’t think before booking deliveries.

Personally I’d go class 2 first for confidence then class 1, but that’s purely person opinion. One less thing to worry about is reversing that way.

ROG:

Izzy7172:
I passed last year C+E and haven’t done much driving work, but now I am looking to go into it full time. I am currently looking to get some weekend shifts

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the reply. I currently work in a IT department in the week Monday to Friday for a local distribution company. I used to work in the Transport department, so now I have passed I am hoping to get a full time job driving for the company I currently work for. I have done the odd weekend shift, and they let me go out on the road for a week with another driver to see what I though to the hours. I am currently waiting for a position to become available, but wanting to get some weekend work to build up experience before doing it full time. I’m quite confident with the driving it’s more the lack of skills at reversing.

Thanks

Izzy7172

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Izzy7172

Izzy7172:

ROG:

Izzy7172:

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the reply. I currently work in a IT department in the week Monday to Friday for a local distribution company.

In that case you can only drive for one day every other weekend due to the EU weekly rest laws

ROG:

Izzy7172:

ROG:

Izzy7172:

Hi Rog,

Thanks for the reply. I currently work in a IT department in the week Monday to Friday for a local distribution company.

In that case you can only drive for one day every other weekend due to the EU weekly rest laws

Thanks Rog, that’s all I am really looking to do at the moment.

Izzy7172