Agency Work

Hi All
Has anyone come up against a thing called Driver Negligence Insurance?
apparently the insurance company providing will not cover drivers unless they have 2 years experience
So I am new to this please let me know what I am doing wrong?
Chauffuerman :frowning:

chauffuerman:
Hi All
Has anyone come up against a thing called Driver Negligence Insurance?
apparently the insurance company providing will not cover drivers unless they have 2 years experience
So I am new to this please let me know what I am doing wrong?
Chauffuerman :frowning:

Even some permanent jobs advertised wont take you without having your licence for 2 years. Some also want 2 years experience driving.

Somebody with more know how on the forum could perhaps explain the 2 year thing?

Agencies pay for insurance to cover damage their drivers may do to a client’s vehicle and excess due on a client’s insurance.
The client whos owns the truck pays for the actual vehicle insurance, as you pay for your own car insurance. If a full time driver has an incident then the employer swallows the cost, as he has assessed the driver, and decided to take him on- that’s a business risk or cost. By using an agency driver many companies want the agency to accept and promise that the driver is safe and competent. So, since the agency says they supply good drivers they accept they’ll pay for any damages yo client’s truck etc. They take out “driver liability insurance” to cover this.
Seems like the company won’t insure people with less than 2 years experience.
Don’t sign anything saying you’ll be liable for any excess or anything will you? Not unless you’ve a spare ten grand in your piggy bank.

EDIT: If two years experience requirement seems unfair, then sorry, but the insurance companies have all the data, and it does show inexperienced drivers cost them more. . Catch 22 situation, but that`s it.

Hi Franglais
Thanks for the info
I still cant get my head round this it everyone wants to train you for a fee
The DVLA insists on a CPC training course for another fee
It seems that everybody wants to take your money then when you pass your left to your own devices
I will try to approach local companies see if the response is more favourable
Will let you know how I get on
cheers mate!

chauffuerman:
Hi Franglais
Thanks for the info
I still cant get my head round this it everyone wants to train you for a fee
The DVLA insists on a CPC training course for another fee
It seems that everybody wants to take your money then when you pass your left to your own devices
I will try to approach local companies see if the response is more favourable
Will let you know how I get on
cheers mate!

It is tough to get a start, as many, many threads will tell you. But stick with it, and you will get there in the end. If you say where you are maybe someone local can give a bit of advice to you? Anyway, Good Luck !

Hiya All
I’ve run my own chauffeur business for the last 14 years been in the trade for 30+ years. The industry has changed over the last 5 years
& I think that I would like to carry on driving but not having all the expense of a luxury car that takes 60% of everything you earn.
I live in Bedfordshire & am looking for part time work as I still have my own clients to look after.
The intention is to eventually close down my company.
I have some experience with Transport as I worked in the clothing industry for 20 years which had warehousing on site
any advice will be welcome.
Thanks!!

chauffuerman:
Hiya All
I’ve run my own chauffeur business for the last 14 years been in the trade for 30+ years. The industry has changed over the last 5 years
& I think that I would like to carry on driving but not having all the expense of a luxury car that takes 60% of everything you earn.
I live in Bedfordshire & am looking for part time work as I still have my own clients to look after.
The intention is to eventually close down my company.
I have some experience with Transport as I worked in the clothing industry for 20 years which had warehousing on site
any advice will be welcome.
Thanks!!

Don’t use training brokers - find local tutors locally. I think I paid something about £1k all in all for my Cat C. You already know how to get a decent medical through your local licensing. I used to be a taxi driver for 8 years, so I know where you’re coming from. The thing you’ll struggle with most is multidrop - but on a truck you’ll only do half a dozen drops a day anyway, being a professional driver for so many years you probably won’t struggle with that, anyway.

And on-topic: Aren’t there any other agencies you can look at? My agency (Backline) never mentioned anything like that, and I never received an invoice for ■■■■■■■■ a truck down a 9-foot-wide back lane.

Hi
I understand about brokers who charge more than the going rate but mine guaranteed a pass which I did on second attempt with no additional costs for extra tuition & test fees. The training by Hughes at M/K was great they were very helpful.
I met a few trainees on the 5 day course including a Black Cab driver who failed his second attempt plus a few eastern Europeans
another guy from up North paid ÂŁ5k to take C test then straight on to C+E he failed on the basics not sure what he decided after.
I will start dropping my CV into Transport Companies local to me let you know how I get on
Happy Easter