Agency work

Hi all
I’m a self employed courier with a class 2 licence. What I was after was 3 days hgv 2 days van work so I phoned a few agency’s asking about hgv work .when I mentioned I’m self employed the conversation goes dead .they say sorry we can’t take you on because it’s illegal now .only Ltd companies or paye .so is this right or is a umbrella company the only way to get work.by the way I’ve had my hgv for nearly 20 yrs now so it’s not something I’ve just got
Thanks mick

umbrella, paye and Ltd are three different things. Paye and Ltd options can be quite considered imho

Wish I could find an agency to pay me as a Ltd company. PAYE through umbrella is the only options I’m getting at the moment not that the sodding agencies will admit to that before they sign you up and send you out to work.

I personally say that i am not interested when they put “only umbrella mate” option on the table

Hi Priest, hows the casual work for the frozen horse lasagna company going? :smiley:

They are taking on agency drivers in Amesbury, but asking for 2 years experience (as usual…)
What did they say about you mate, were they applying the rule?

I’m not considering it, it’s to far away for me & happy where I am, i’m just curious…

It is not illegal to use Sole traders, the agencies just find it easier and less complicated not to do so. This could all be about to change though because I believe the rules and terms as regards who is actually self employed are being re written and a lot of the umbrella guys will find themselves in a sticky situation. This will prompt the agancies to either go back to using paye or fully limited company drivers only. Not read a lot on the subject so can’t provide in depth info.

Evil8Beezle:
Hi Priest, hows the casual work for the frozen horse lasagna company going? :smiley:

They are taking on agency drivers in Amesbury, but asking for 2 years experience (as usual…)
What did they say about you mate, were they applying the rule?

I’m not considering it, it’s to far away for me & happy where I am, i’m just curious…

hey mate,

No, never heard about 2years experience from neither the agency nor the frozen horse. :slight_smile:

however i said i had enough of supermarket delivery - nothing wrong with the agency or the horse. It’s just driving for 30 mins then loading/unloading the trailer for 2+ hours does not seem like a driving job to me :unamused:

Probably will do an odd shift per month just to remind me of how it is

how are the things with your class 1 bellend-ism? :slight_smile:

Priest:

Well i’m still a bellend! :smiley:
But laid up with a bad back for the rest of this week, hence I’m on here a lot…
Hopefully back to work Monday (Class 2 :cry:) but sure that as long as can cope with my back, the TM will put me in an Artic! :smiley:
Other than that i’m OK, just don’t want to be missing out on Artic experience because of my limp! :laughing:

I figured store delivery for them would be a lot like that, and as you say, you’re not spending much time driving.
Where I am it’s completely different, as I do about 15 pallet drops a day, and the Class 1 work is the same…
So lots of maneuvering in and out of places, and just about all of it taken off with a forklift.

I just need my back to get better! :imp:

well, if it is a forklif toad/unload then probably not too bad

how did your first artic run go or has it been cancelled due to the back?

Thanks for the advice

Guys quick question,

PAYE or SELF EMPLOYED ?

Is it worth the hassle to go SELF EMPLOYED ?

Wee Man:
Guys quick question,

PAYE or SELF EMPLOYED ?

horses for courses.

everyone has to make their own choice according their particular circumstances and goals.

Do you want just to work hassle free for less money but the employer takes care of the taxes, holiday pay etc?
do you want to keep control yourself of your taxes, saving cash for holiday/sick cover? Do you want to have the flexibility and work for different companies as a freelancer and manage the relationship and find clients yourself?

these are the kind of questions that might help you to chose

Priest:
well, if it is a forklif toad/unload then probably not too bad

how did your first artic run go or has it been cancelled due to the back?

I did 2 days pal with the normal driver sat in the passenger seat shopping on his phone! :laughing: (Once he was happy I could actually drive…)
At the end of the first day I went and did a trailer swap on my own at a clients site. Drove there without a trailer, picked it up, unloaded it back at our place, and returned it to the clients site on a bay. Loved it except for the lack of suspension when driving the truck without a trailer. They clearly aren’t set up for the lack of weight, which isn’t surprising… You also get quite a sharp jerk as the gearbox changes gears…

It’s all experience, and I did quite a few reversing maneuvers, most went OK! :blush:

Evil8Beezle:

Priest:

Well i’m still a bellend! :smiley:
But laid up with a bad back for the rest of this week, hence I’m on here a lot…
Hopefully back to work Monday (Class 2 :cry:) but sure that as long as can cope with my back, the TM will put me in an Artic! :smiley:
Other than that i’m OK, just don’t want to be missing out on Artic experience because of my limp! :laughing:

I figured store delivery for them would be a lot like that, and as you say, you’re not spending much time driving.
Where I am it’s completely different, as I do about 15 pallet drops a day, and the Class 1 work is the same…
So lots of maneuvering in and out of places, and just about all of it taken off with a forklift.

I just need my back to get better! :imp:

Ode to a Bellend Part 1 by G Lidl-oxo

Two Drivers named Beezle and Beaver
Disappeared from the Radar’s receiver
The bellends got lost
Paul Nowak was cross
When they stranded themselves in Geneva

Priest:

Wee Man:
Guys quick question,

PAYE or SELF EMPLOYED ?

horses for courses.

everyone has to make their own choice according their particular circumstances and goals.

Do you want just to work hassle free for less money but the employer takes care of the taxes, holiday pay etc?
do you want to keep control yourself of your taxes, saving cash for holiday/sick cover? Do you want to have the flexibility and work for different companies as a freelancer and manage the relationship and find clients yourself?

these are the kind of questions that might help you to chose

Yeah i think personally would prefer the hassle free with the taxes and stuff unless it was a considerable amount of money,

Thanks for the reply mate.

Goldilox:
Two Drivers named Beezle and Beaver
Disappeared from the Radar’s receiver
The bellends got lost
Paul Nowak was cross
When they stranded themselves in Geneva

That’s actually quite good! :grimacing:

You just need to add Ashley (ash 001) into the mix next time…
He’s also a bellend, but a very busy one, so not able to show his credentials properly at present!
NickW88 the VAN driver also want to join the club, but currently a little short on his qualifications…

I wasn’t quite sure of the hierarchial system, although one or 2 are obvious, :smiley:

Perhaps a ranking system would help, you know ,like Commodore,midshipman, etc, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Goldilox:
I wasn’t quite sure of the hierarchial system, although one or 2 are obvious, :smiley:

Perhaps a ranking system would help, you know ,like Commodore,midshipman, etc, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

We’re all men, so it’s anarchy! :open_mouth:

Basically take a wing and a prayer, and add alcohol! :smiley:

Wee Man:
Yeah i think personally would prefer the hassle free with the taxes and stuff unless it was a considerable amount of money

I think that it probably looks like a considerable amount of money until you realise how much you have to deduct for tax, NI (employee and employer), holidays, sick pay, pension, accountant fees (if you use one), etc. etc…

MrFlibble:

Wee Man:
Yeah i think personally would prefer the hassle free with the taxes and stuff unless it was a considerable amount of money

I think that it probably looks like a considerable amount of money until you realise how much you have to deduct for tax, NI (employee and employer), holidays, sick pay, pension, accountant fees (if you use one), etc. etc…

true, but are not the PAYE rates gross rates? i always thought they were, so you were still subject to taxation