Agency work whilst taking holidays

Just been speaking to a driver who says he is planning on driving for an agency next week while he is on holiday from his main employer.
Surely doing so is legal but by using his digi card his current employer will find out and in guessing they won’t be best pleased.
What’s the deal? Am I right in thinking his employer would have grounds to sack him?

All depends what the main employer’s policy on secondary employment is.
If it’s not in their policy/contract that he can’t nothing they can do.

If his main employer is aware he intends to drive while he’s on holiday, then no it wont.
If he expects no-one to find out, then yes it might.

What has it got to do with you?

We just got on the topic over a coffee. Got me thinking. I think our lot has a clause in the contract about it and I’d imagine most others do too.
Thought I’d ask the masses.

The employee as a legal responsibility under the RTD working time to inform is employer of other work he does for an other employer, his current employer will be booking 48 hours working time for is holiday and the hours he does for the agency would go on his totals for the reference period if he driver was to go over his RTD working time hours his main employer could put him on unpaid leave to reduce his hours.

Also most agencys now get you to fill in a form to say what you have done in the last week, at my last job it was allowed but was told if it courses us to go over are hour we would get sent home without pay.

C10HOO:
Just been speaking to a driver who says he is planning on driving for an agency next week while he is on holiday from his main employer.
Surely doing so is legal but by using his digi card his current employer will find out and in guessing they won’t be best pleased.
What’s the deal? Am I right in thinking his employer would have grounds to sack him?

One of ours did this a couple of months ago & was instantly dismissed when they downloaded his card, we all thought it was a bit harsh (why not a written warning)but they seemed to be making an example. Maybe they needed to thin us out a bit, but now they are looking for more drivers ! ! !

It obviously affects average working hours (48hrs) so they won’t like people reducing available hrs for their main employer.

Why not do van work on agency? No tacho involved and the rates aren’t that far apart. No -one would be any the wiser then.

fredthered:
It obviously affects average working hours (48hrs) so they won’t like people reducing available hrs for their main employer.

but its nothing to do with the employer :open_mouth: I’m sure it’s got MY name on MY licence and MY Digi card too :sunglasses:

Fatboy slimslow:

fredthered:

but its nothing to do with the employer :open_mouth: I’m sure it’s got MY name on MY licence and MY Digi card too :sunglasses:

It depends on the employer and their policy on other employment.

Unless doing exceptionally low hours i don’t see how the average driver could possibly work through their holiday and keep within the WTD overall hours.

Apart from anything else a full time employed driver should take some decent rest so he’s recuperated to give his best to his main employer when he returns from paid holiday, loyalty and job care is a two way street.

If the main job has crammed hours, then it wouldn’t be appropriate to work agency in the holidays, because the 20 days “stat leave” have already been counted by the main firm as being just that - leave NOT work for another firm somewhere.

In this day and age though, who has a full time job with maxed out overtime like 10 years ago at RM was for myself?

After the introduction of digicards, it became difficult to do any work on the side whilst still employed by RM. I would imagine some other firms have similar policies with regards to “stat leave” being compulsory as actual leave… It helps if your holiday entitlement is more than 20 base days of course, because if its 6 weeks for example, you might still be able to swing 10 agency days per year whilst holding down such a full time job. :neutral_face:

If his main employer is hot on the RTD then they will need to know exactly what hours have been done for the RTD records

^^ Which Royal Mail are… Balance of Staff will eat you alive if you try and ■■■■ them about with moonlighting. :wink:

Why would anyone want to work their holiday?? :confused:

Solly:
Why would anyone want to work their holiday?? :confused:

Why do some like being out all week
Why do some want to be doing 13/15 hour days.

Their payed peanunts probably.

Is anyone- apart from the big companies- taking any notice of WTD?

Retired Old ■■■■:
Is anyone- apart from the big companies- taking any notice of WTD?

From what I have read on this and other forums … no

I ‘think’ there are many other EU states which have done what the directive said but nobody is bothered about it so in reality it becomes a load of nonsense

It the EU really wanted to impliment a max working week then they would have made a regulation not a directive which stated a maximum weekly time of X hours shift time

Couldn’t agree more, Rog. Yet another instrument from our European friends calculated to frighten us into submission?

I for one am very pleased about the WTD regs, never been on such a good overall hourly rate as now, decent salary and a normal average working week of about 44 hours, never known such hours before.

You know exactly what you can do with those 70 hour standard weeks of bloody hard filthy painful graft we did for years to earn a standard wage.