Agency Work, Supply & Demand, Pay, Tramping

Hi,

Anybody willing to share their thoughts on the Class 1 driver supply & demand ( & pay ) in Uk ?

I’m abroad & havn’t called around, I’ve been out of driving & in the process of doing the CPC course & returning to work in the Uk, the Acency i worked for before told me they have work but as i’m about to invest £ in the CPC i thought i’d try get some more info

Few Q’s, any help apreciated

1. How much Agency work is availabe ?
  2. What kind of pay ?
  3. Anybody reccomend any Agencys that offer tramping work Uk & /or abroad ?
  4. Anybody reccomend any agencys offering decent work for limited companys / unbrella companys

I’m really flexable with where i work as i will be living mobile, hence why tramping is prefered

Thanks

A lot depends on where you are thinking on the UK. Generally the higher average house price the higher wage (but not always).

As for agencies I’m almost sure wherever you are Driver Hire will set you on and you can tramp for Stobarts and they normally advertise at about £11.50 an hour.

Avoid umbrella companies. There’s a storm brewing there that is best avoided. Go PAYE and you’ll not be out of pocket in the long run.

Where are you based? Or where will you be based.

If in midlands I could give you a list of half a dozen agencies that will give you work and will pay you. A couple I’ve used and the rest come from reliable recommendations from a number of drivers.

If you fancy more regular work contact ‘the logistics people’ they do agency for stobarts and guarantee you 40(ish) hours a week. Know a few blokes who work through them and they claim it’s top notch.

Edit - wages range from about £11 up. Highest I’ve been paid was £15 an hour. that’s for ltd. Wouldn’t touch umbrella as they have the audacity to charge you a fee just to be paid.

sammym:
Where are you based? Or where will you be based.

If in midlands I could give you a list of half a dozen agencies that will give you work and will pay you. A couple I’ve used and the rest come from reliable recommendations from a number of drivers.

If you fancy more regular work contact ‘the logistics people’ they do agency for stobarts and guarantee you 40(ish) hours a week. Know a few blokes who work through them and they claim it’s top notch.

Edit - wages range from about £11 up. Highest I’ve been paid was £15 an hour. that’s for ltd. Wouldn’t touch umbrella as they have the audacity to charge you a fee just to be paid.

They offer 45 hours per week but wages depend from Stobart Depo.

Base yourself in the east midlands Rates usually round £12-13hr working agency Ltd, Staffline are crying out for drivers on the primark contract

Agency work is good for a variety of work that they offer you, usually before any agency will offer you class 1 work, they will give you some low paid class 2 or unless you have at least 6 months continuous previous driving in class 1 as a minimum. The two I use will only offer the good clients that they have to their experienced drivers.(two years) I imagine my experience may differ from others which will vary from area to area. Around my area there is no shortage of good work. Rates vary between £11.50 p/h upwards to £16.00 p/h PAYE. Weekly paid with overtime at time and a half after 45 hrs. Double time on a Sunday and bank holidays. Agency work drops right off after xmas and starts busy again around April.

Trust me it’s not an April fools joke, the agency have given me a £1/hr pay rise (PAYE) from May 1st without telling anyone

peirre:
Trust me it’s not an April fools joke, the agency have given me a £1/hr pay rise (PAYE) from May 1st without telling anyone

That seems a pretty good percentage.

peirre:

Yes, I got £1.25PH increase when I said I was on the lookout for more money. He didn’t even flinch.