Agency Work Regularity

Hi Guys,

I will be doing my class 2 later this year and will be looking for a job, permanent if possible.
I live in Somerset and do see quite a few jobs advertised so I’m quite positive of at least getting interviews.
I expect to have to do agency work to begin with to gain experience, the one question I have regarding this is… Do you manage to get regular work from agencies, the only thing I was worried about was the regularity of the work. I will be leaving a long term job as although it’s not well paid it is secure and regular. I’d hate to have big gaps between jobs and wouldn’t welcome the uncertainty as I have a family to raise.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

No agency can guarantee regular work - they might say they can to get you registered on their books though !

To see what the LGV job market is really like where you are, remove all the LGV agency jobs and see what is left

Easy to see the agencies because they will usually have many ADS

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking they would do.
Brakes and Gregory’s have places pretty close to where I am so will initially drop a CV in to them, in person of course. Other than that I will just be keeping an eye out on the jobs boards.
I can’t seem to find too many more logistics companies down my way (Taunton, Somerset). Is anyone aware of more companies in my area that are worth dropping a CV into once I pass.

LGroves84:
Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking they would do.
Brakes and Gregory’s have places pretty close to where I am so will initially drop a CV in to them, in person of course. Other than that I will just be keeping an eye out on the jobs boards.
I can’t seem to find too many more logistics companies down my way (Taunton, Somerset). Is anyone aware of more companies in my area that are worth dropping a CV into once I pass.

Langdons have some rigids, Jays at Highbridge,

I’ve limped for over 18 months and never struggled to get work. And the longer you go on the easier it gets, as I could phone up a few places I’ve limped on from, and be working tomorrow for them if I wanted…

And that’s the key! :wink:

If you can find a class 2 tramping job you could look further for job and only go home on Fridays
I class 2 tramp and I can also sleep in truck if I’m in yard as it’s quiet and secure also there’s a shower and good takeaways in village

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you’re lucky, or you have had time to build relationships and a good reputation with a few agencies (as Evil has done, and rightly so), you are likely to find agency work a bit volatile. It can be seasonal, there may be a pecking order, or the agency can simply screw up and forget to give you a shift on a day you’ve said you’re available. A lot will depend on what contracts your agency has, and the nature of the goods being transported. If you’re prepared to do the grotty work that other drivers shun then you’re more likely to get regular work…but it will be grotty.

If you have a family to look after then plan to put some of your wages aside to tide you over in the lean times. Be prepared to work weekends to, when pay rates tend to be a bit higher.

A permanent job will be more reliable, but less flexible. You may find the work/life balance more difficult, but the stability of regular employment is a valuable commodity these days.

Evil8Beezle:
I’ve limped for over 18 months and never struggled to get work. And the longer you go on the easier it gets, as I could phone up a few places I’ve limped on from, and be working tomorrow for them if I wanted…

Are you still on tankers these days limping?

Nighthawk.:

Evil8Beezle:

Are you still on tankers these days limping?

Yes and no! :laughing:
I’ve resigned full-time as the hours were getting silly, and now just doing part time while I take a break to help them out until I’m replaced.
It always pays to leave on good terms, and that keeps doors open and a good reference available when needed. :wink:

Pity really as I like long shifts if the overtime rate is there, I just don’t want to be doing that many long shifts! :laughing:
79 hours in a week isn’t funny, or probably that safe! :open_mouth:

Thanks for the replies everyone, will take all of that into consideration and keep my fingers crossed

I am in the same position. Started a full time job with a company but once I’ve been there I’ve realised the job ain’t worth the ■■■■ you have to put up with. So having a think of leaving and going down the agency route myself

Mellor:
I am in the same position. Started a full time job with a company but once I’ve been there I’ve realised the job ain’t worth the [zb] you have to put up with. So having a think of leaving and going down the agency route myself

At this time of year I’d suggest you look before you leap mate…
But whatever you do, DON’T believe the agency when they tell you they have work, as they will tell you anything to get you to sign up with them. They are there to earn money for themselves, so having spare drivers on their books is always good for them…

Evil8Beezle:

Mellor:
I am in the same position. Started a full time job with a company but once I’ve been there I’ve realised the job ain’t worth the [zb] you have to put up with. So having a think of leaving and going down the agency route myself

At this time of year I’d suggest you look before you leap mate…
But whatever you do, DON’T believe the agency when they tell you they have work, as they will tell you anything to get you to sign up with them. They are there to earn money for themselves, so having spare drivers on their books is always good for them…

Personally if possible I would stick the regular job to get some experience to be able to get a better regular job…

If you get work from the agency (I assume you are new) you will be bottom of the list to call and will get the jobs no-one else wants. Could end up in the same situation you are now with crap work but not even secure work to go with it

Thanks for the info. Yeah I am new been at this company for 4 weeks just a lot of messing around with the job. Been thinking long and hard this week if it’s time to move on or stick it out for experience for a bit longer if I can hang in there that is ha

Mellor:
Thanks for the info. Yeah I am new been at this company for 4 weeks just a lot of messing around with the job. Been thinking long and hard this week if it’s time to move on or stick it out for experience for a bit longer if I can hang in there that is ha

Well if I was your new employer, I’d be wanting you to convince me that you’re a sticker, and I’m not going to wasting my time training you up…

As I already said, don’t rely on agencies at this time of year.
Not with only 4 weeks of experience and no track record…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Mellor:

Well if I was your new employer, I’d be wanting you to convince me that you’re a sticker, and I’m not going to wasting my time training you up…

As I already said, don’t rely on agencies at this time of year.
Not with only 4 weeks of experience and no track record…

Best of luck! :smiley:

As above stick it out at least your getting a full weeks pay each week and not getting a phone call mid week to say firm don’t need you rest of week