Agency work in Mansfield

Sorry if this is dragging up old stuff, but can anyone give me any advice on good agencies in the Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield area. And also any to steer clear of. I am currently in a full time job but I hate it and am considering taking the plunge and going on the agency.
Any advice appreciated.

tallboy:
Sorry if this is dragging up old stuff, but can anyone give me any advice on good agencies in the Mansfield/Sutton in Ashfield area. And also any to steer clear of. I am currently in a full time job but I hate it and am considering taking the plunge and going on the agency.
Any advice appreciated.

Make sure you get a rundown on the pay…been doing nights trunking for an agency and eventually sent me a pay slip after asking for it (pay was low for hours)) To find out they were only paying £9.50 :open_mouth: The other thing is don’t exspect work every day or week. Think long and hard about it drive.

What Mike said agencies will tell you everything to sign up then a day here or there been there done that like most with agency work.
Best advice is to take a week off from where you are now and do a week on the agency and see if you like it getting up at a set time for your present job to starting at 2 or 3 in the morning will knock you about a bit till your used to it, having to think cant go out tonight if your up at 2am is another thing to consider.
But on the upside the places you see is a bonus hope this helps

Jeff.

Whilst I can’t comment specifically on agencies in the Mansfield areas, many of them are part of regional or national chains. You will find exactly the same vacancies replicated word for word in their branches around the country. Only the specified location is different.

They can be a useful source for getting practical experience, but take whatever claims they make ‘with a pinch of salt’. Long term ongoing work is seldom a reality, where driving is concerned.

ADR at alfreton will have a lot of work for you but don’t refuse or you shall be put to the bottom of a long list. Don’t expect to turn up at 2am and find you aren’t actually on the run sheet and still be paid. Don’t expect anything and you might be ok, however you can usually tell when any agency lies to you…their lips move.
With some agencies if you say yes to everything they throw at you then you’ll find a regular weekly income. But I do think you have to catch them at the perfect time i.e they’re short of a driver the day you walk in, and you get a chance to prove yourself. Good agency drivers are remembered, bad ones remembered more!
Personally I’d never go on agency again after two stints on it, but I did work with lads who it suited and had far less out goings then me with 3 kids and 2 cars to run.

tallboy:
I am currently in a full time job but I hate it and am considering taking the plunge and going on the agency.

Ask yourself … “do I need a regular income” ?
Not having any basic idea what your situation is. You may have a young family, regular financial out goings ie: mortgage, bills, finance payments etc that you need (must) have a regular income to meet those payments. Then IF that’s the case, agency work isnt for you & Id stick it out where you are, or look for another full time job with a regular income while your there.
IF you dont need a regular income, and can suffer/stand the fluctuating cash flow of waiting for the phone to ring & not earning anything 1 week, then the next week earning £600-£700+ then you may be able to make a go of agency work. As agency work can be either All or nothing. Which is more suited to those without regular financial out goings such as those older drivers who are mortgage free, and whos children have left home. Its also ideal for young single drivers who may be still living with parents/family. These drivers dont mind that theyll be not earning anything 1 week, then the next week earning £600-£700+ but can enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle with the time that they aren`t working.

Adina’s (belive trade as RDS) mainly double manned work out of Shirebrook for Sports direct, ADR as has been said above, NFT and Co op plus others, QS Recruitment does all of the above plus other small hauliers.

I only have personal exp of QS, as all the others won’t do PAYE and use umbrellas. Can’t fault QS at all, always kept me busy when i needed work. I have left and been back several times, and will be back if I need agency work again.

Only one I have been told to avoid is Smart, Best Connection can be hit and miss depending on the branch and the staff

Never had a problem with QS but that was 8 years ago.

no probs with qs for me either.

warbies
kims
nft
wilko
co-op
allegro
other bits and bobs.

peirre:

tallboy:
I am currently in a full time job but I hate it and am considering taking the plunge and going on the agency.

Ask yourself … “do I need a regular income” ?
Not having any basic idea what your situation is. You may have a young family, regular financial out goings ie: mortgage, bills, finance payments etc that you need (must) have a regular income to meet those payments. Then IF that’s the case, agency work isnt for you & Id stick it out where you are, or look for another full time job with a regular income while your there.
IF you dont need a regular income, and can suffer/stand the fluctuating cash flow of waiting for the phone to ring & not earning anything 1 week, then the next week earning £600-£700+ then you may be able to make a go of agency work. As agency work can be either All or nothing. Which is more suited to those without regular financial out goings such as those older drivers who are mortgage free, and whos children have left home. Its also ideal for young single drivers who may be still living with parents/family. These drivers dont mind that theyll be not earning anything 1 week, then the next week earning £600-£700+ but can enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle with the time that they aren`t working.

Best advice you’ll ever get on this subject, from one who knows. No agency worth its salt would ever advise you to chuck a “permanent” job and sign up with them.

Done all the said agency’s QS,Smart,Best…never again, lucky enough I have just found full time work.
My advice would be Take a break/holiday but never give full-time up for agency, worst mistake I made.
Also while your on your break get a good CV done and hammer everybody you can think off.
Good luck mate, just remember when your having a crap day…you know you have still a job in the morning that can get better…You will not have that on the agency’s

Cheers for that lads.
I think I will give the agencies a wide berth. I have sent a couple of applications to some firms through a jobs website. The trouble is, 99.9% of job adverts for driving jobs is agencies.
I have always loved being a driver, but this latest job has made me consider giving it all up and doing something else. The question is what?

tallboy:
Cheers for that lads.
I think I will give the agencies a wide berth. I have sent a couple of applications to some firms through a jobs website. The trouble is, 99.9% of job adverts for driving jobs is agencies.
I have always loved being a driver, but this latest job has made me consider giving it all up and doing something else. The question is what?

Just how bad is your current job that it’s making you want to throw the towel in ■■

tallboy:
Cheers for that lads.

Trouble is, unless you have a specific skill to offer such as welding, electrical fitting etc. you are going to be fodder for the plethora of £6.31 jobs out there.

I currently earn more than most HGV 1 drivers, doing some production work, but that is a temporary contract that will come to an end at some stage, which is why I have (reluctantly) just renewed my HGV and PSV licenses. Whilst things have marginally picked up, the job market is still quite tough at the moment.

Q