Agency work advice

Hi all. I am looking for advice for when I pass my class 2.

I currently have a crappy job but the hours are very flexible, basically as long as I do the time I can start whenever I like.

Now when I get my license is it best to sign up with an agency and stay at my current job as the agency work will be sparse, or what’s the best idea?

As a newly qualified driver I would ideally want a permanent job before I leave what I have.

Are there any employers who take on new class 2 drivers in this neck of the woods without experience?

I am in south Wales btw…sorry for the lengthy post :smiley:

If you can fit some agency along side your current job then gain some experience first, much easier to get a job with some driving time under your belt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Valentine75:
If you can fit some agency along side your current job then gain some experience first, much easier to get a job with some driving time under your belt.

Just remember to stick to the daily and weekly rest rules if you do that

Valentine75:

This is what I currently do, but to be honest, because I can do only weekends, jobs are not flooding through my gates, few shifts so far and this is in London, multiple propositions of full-time jobs though. Thinking of doing Hiab, maybe this will improve situation. I was expecting opposite, my thoughts were " who wants to do weekends, nobody, but I will do, to get some experience " looks like there was some miscalculation :slight_smile:

If it were me, what I did was walk out of the job I had and signed up with a handful of agencies and they kept me busy. I suppose it’s up to you and your personal circumstances if you’re willing to roll the dice. I’ve been busy non stop since I passed.

milesahead:

Valentine75:

This is what I currently do, but to be honest, because I can do only weekends, jobs are not flooding through my gates, few shifts so far and this is in London, multiple propositions of full-time jobs though. Thinking of doing Hiab, maybe this will improve situation. I was expecting opposite, my thoughts were " who wants to do weekends, nobody, but I will do, to get some experience " looks like there was some miscalculation :slight_smile:

I am the same, Fridays and Saturdays only, but I do class 1 so a bit more choice.

Valentine75:

milesahead:

Valentine75:

I am the same, Fridays and Saturdays only, but I do class 1 so a bit more choice.

Weekend work for Class 1 is more available, I’m sure there is for Class 2 as well, but if you are experienced.

ROG:

Valentine75:

Just remember to stick to the daily and weekly rest rules if you do that

You make a good point that I hadn’t thought about and I would indeed not meet my daily rest rules so I will have to rethink this.

So my options are weekend work or to sign up for multiple agencies and hope they keep me busy while I quit my current crappy job hmmmmm looks like I have some thinking to do.

But what about permanent jobs without experience I am sure there are some companies that take newbies?

jbaz73:
If it were me, what I did was walk out of the job I had and signed up with a handful of agencies and they kept me busy. I suppose it’s up to you and your personal circumstances if you’re willing to roll the dice. I’ve been busy non stop since I passed.

You’ve been much more lucky than me.

I’ve had three jobs now when I haven’t been paid. Agencies can do what they like unless they are members of the REC (Recruitment and Employment Confederation who will then take up the issue of non payment).

Even found after working for three months my holiday pay was conveniently forgotten about. Only when I threatened to take the matter up with the REC did I get paid - agencies are nothing more than dishonest wretches. [e.g. if the rate was £10 per hour (min 8 hour day), 28 days leave - say 100 drivers on the books… robbing holiday pay is quite lucrative!]. I am writing to my MP this w/e with a request to put an end to this ridiculous situation. They call themselves recruitment consultants and they are nothing of the sort - some don’t even know the difference between C1 and C I’ve found.

Depends on the agency of course, but the one I’m with are brilliant. Always pay me on time and keep me busy with the days I’ve said I can do. They have fully supported me as a new pass sending experienced drivers out with me on jobs.

It seems like there’s a mixed bag of agencies out there some good and some bad.

I will probably sign up with the number of agencies and also look for some full time jobs too as doing my current job and trying to fit in some lorry driving is not going to work for me