Agency to Full Time Catch :-(

So far its been a really busy week and since Monday I’ve been working for a local company delivering cages to supermarkets around the Midlands driving class 1. Its pretty physical delivering the cages and some of the drops test your ability to get into tiny places - oh and then back out again :blush:

The company seem really ok and the lads in the traffic office really know what they are doing which make the day so much simpler :smiley:

So here’s the rub - I finish work today and the lads tell me that after only 4 days I’m one of the best agency drivers they have ever had :smiley: Its always nice to hear someone telling you genuinely that you are appreciated.

However in the next breath they tell me its such as shame that I work for an agency as they are recruiting full time and as such cannot offer me a job even though they would like too :confused:

Apparently its all down to them having to pay the agency 13 weeks money as compensation for their loss of an employee - I guess its like a headhunters fee :open_mouth:

I can understand why the agency has to protect itself but I thought that I was a temporary worker?? I asked if there was anyway around this and the lads said no :imp: I feel a bit gutted really but at least I’ve learnt another thing - find out what your signing up too before putting pen to paper

Ask them if you can have an application form and apply through the usual channels just like anyone they don’t know.

Probably won’t work to be honest but worth a try I would have thought.

Good luck :wink:

tachograph:
Ask them if you can have an application form and apply through the usual channels just like anyone they don’t know.

Probably won’t work to be honest but worth a try I would have thought.

Good luck :wink:

Good idea but I’ve tried that one already and I even said that I would jack it in at the agency - I think they’ve been stung before by trying this :frowning:

On the positive side though they ask for me in person everyday now :smiley:

have you actually signed a contract with the Agency?

if you have, what does it say about giving notice to terminate the contract?

no contract, no problem, they can’t do anything about it

if you have a contract, read it very carefully

Don’t they do a temp to perm?

Couple of people I know did this. Worked through the agency for 13 weeks then transferred over to the company full time.

I left an agency on a Friday and started full time with a company on the Sunday where I had been working for a year through the agency , no fees involved. The agency didn’t own me, I’m not a footballer who can command a transfer fee.

I think you find it may be in the terms and conditions the firm signs with the agency not you. I think then you are classed then as being recruited and they acted as a recruitment agency. Based on a dimly remembered thread…

Yep I did sign a contract which was the usual temporary workers contract - I didn’t read it as by its nature its a temporary contract which basically covers me for nothing but I have asked for a copy

I do feel a bit put out as it seems that the agency can give me work as and when which obviously is really great for their business but when it comes to me getting some security they have that base covered as well :confused: I am speaking to them in the morning again to see if they can sort out some temp to perm agreement but I can’t help but feel that they quite like the situation as it is :frowning:

I’m pretty sure that cheesey has it right as they explained to me that basically all of the companies go trough a company called Reliant who then sub out the work to other agencies. Its somewhere in this agreement which I must say has ■■■■ all to do with me

I have to say though that this agency have kept me employed everyday since i signed with them and i have no complaints at all with them personally

hi like you said you have learnt somethink new and with working with an agency you my learn more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

m4rky:
Yep I did sign a contract which was the usual temporary workers contract - I didn’t read it as by its nature its a temporary contract which basically covers me for nothing but I have asked for a copy

I do feel a bit put out as it seems that the agency can give me work as and when which obviously is really great for their business but when it comes to me getting some security they have that base covered as well :confused: I am speaking to them in the morning again to see if they can sort out some temp to perm agreement but I can’t help but feel that they quite like the situation as it is :frowning:

I’m pretty sure that cheesey has it right as they explained to me that basically all of the companies go trough a company called Reliant who then sub out the work to other agencies. Its somewhere in this agreement which I must say has [zb] all to do with me

I have to say though that this agency have kept me employed everyday since i signed with them and i have no complaints at all with them personally

jack in agency have a week off work start new job

woody90:

m4rky:

I’m pretty sure that cheesey has it right as they explained to me that basically all of the companies go trough a company called Reliant who then sub out the work to other agencies. Its somewhere in this agreement which I must say has [zb] all to do with me

I agree with you Woody90, If I was on an Agency and I thought I would be offered a permanent job, I would go for it, think about Numero Uno :smiley:

cheesey:
I think you find it may be in the terms and conditions the firm signs with the agency not you.

I agree, I think you’ll find that it’s normal practice for the contract between the agency and client to contain a clause that states that the client must pay (usually 13 weeks rates I believe) if they employ a driver who was introduced by the agency.

Some companies will just keep the agency in the dark but some companies will insist on sticking to their contract with the agency.
Just one of those things I’m afraid.

Its not the agency that seems to think theres a problem is the company thats hiring :confused: So even if I quit the agency the transport company would be reluctant to take me on due to their previous experiences in having to pay compensation to agencies

Having said that I have spoken again to the agency again tonight and they seem to be quite supportive and have now said that they would not stand in my way or put any compensation claims into this company. I have no axe to grind with the agency as I have said before they keep me fully employed and have always been extremely decent to me; I was just suprised by the transport companies reaction to employing agency drivers. In fact the agency are now saying that it looks really good for them having introduced a possible full time employee which I can also understand

I’ve now been offered some new bluechip work by the agency which will give me experience of equipment and trailers that I have never used before and I start this tomorrow morning - Decisions, decisions I’m really undecided now so I think I’ll just go with my heart for the next few weeks and stick with the agency

• THe agency cant really do anything about it if you are offered full time employment. The bus CO.S train drivers and they have to stay for 2 years or pay back training costs, but many drivers walk away and the big firms cant do any thing about it,not worth the bother of going through the courts for £2000.

My company paid for my class 2 and i have to stay for 2 years but i havent signed a contract, where do i stand with this ?

Cheers Liam

m4rky:
So here’s the rub - I finish work today and the lads tell me that after only 4 days I’m one of the best agency drivers they have ever had :smiley: Its always nice to hear someone telling you genuinely that you are appreciated.

However in the next breath they tell me its such as shame that I work for an agency as they are recruiting full time and as such cannot offer me a job even though they would like too :confused:

I have been in this position. The company wanted to offer me a job and I really wanted to work there but the agency had a 13 week rule the same as yours and the company wouldn’t be willing to do that. I phoned up the person on the driving desk at the agency and explained it all to them, making sure they knew it was a job I really wanted. They agreed to waive the 13 weeks and faxed a letter to the company saying so.

I suggest that you do the same. Phone the agency and have a chat with them about it. Point out that you’re doing it all above board, that you didn’t have to as there was nothing to stop you doing it without their knowledge but you’d rather be fair with them.

Depends on the company, i got offered a job before similar thing, was when there was less drivers around and more vacancies the company had to pay the compensation because where finding it hard to get even agency drivers and if they screwed the agency over, would find it even harder.

But in this climate prob the opposite if the company told the agency where to go, they arent going to do much about is still going to supply drivers because they are desperate for work themselves.

woody90:

m4rky:

its not spar is it
if the company is put a advert though jobcentre/paper for hgv 1 drivers you can apply
i have worked for agencys for over 20 yrs i have done the same thing companys offered me a full time job
you do not have a contract you are allowed to apply for jobs and leave you are only on contract if you have taken your hgv licence with the agency then you cant leave for 2 yrsgo though normal channels for job send me p m

jack in the agency and go sub-contract to the transport company.

If the customer is asking for you by name & you are basically first in the door when they need an agency driver then they will probably use you all the time anyway, it’s difficult to imagine a big company not using at least one agency driver per day.