Agency rates tramping?

Was offered a flat rate of £9.50 + n/o which I declined, not so much because of the rate, on self employed but beside the point, but because it was at a moments notice and I have things arranged.

Now I would have thought that while the rate is ok, not paying 1x1/2 after 8 is well out of order when out all week ?

Trouble is overtime rates on agency seems to have gone by the wayside of late, is this typical ?

Seems to be. Hull rates have been static for a few years now. Agencies are turning to crap now TBH. Downside is that 99% of the jobs advertised in my area on the job center website are with agencies.

Still time and a half after eight,at my agency,whether you’re a day man,a night man or a tramper.

Ken.

Quinny:
Still time and a half after eight,at my agency,whether you’re a day man,a night man or a tramper.

Ken.

agreed, thats why its just as well being a day or night man, as a day man I can average 46hrs-56hrs pw (with time and a half after eight).
theres no financial incentive to go tramping in the hope of increased hours = more ££ especially with the limits on working hours ellledgedly cutting working time down

For what you gain being a tramper,in regards to your night out money,by the time you’ve bought your dinner/tea,there’s not a lot of it left,so there’s no incentive to being an unpaid security guard,sleeping in an 8 tonne box.

I would rather forego that,and sleep in my own bed at night.

However,if you are a tramper,and enjoy it,then you can maximise your hours daily,meaning more wonga,knowing the fact that you aren’t going to go home anyhow.

Ken.

Just been offered agency job on DHL contract on nights out of Hatfield near Doncaster, £9.00 per hr for first 8 then £13.50. Not taaking it up as I’ve full time tramping job lined up, but how do these rates compare to other parts of the country?

I’m guessing that’s on the peat job.

My mate has just fallen out with his agency over that contract yesterday,for the reason that his agency,and maybe the customer,are only willing to pay a max of 11 hours on the job.Somedays you may do 15,somedays you may do 8,but he fell out with them because it was mostly stacked in their favour.

Example from him yesterday:

Got a call to be in at DHL at Morley at 8am,collect the unit,go to Stourton container base,collect the trailer,and then go to the peat works to load the trailer,for 1 drop in Birmingham.

At 2pm,he was just leaving the peat works,on his way back to Stourton to drop the full trailer,after a heated phone call with the customer and his agency.They still wanted him to go and tip the load,despite the fact he’s a day man,not a night out man,as in his words,he could see that he would get to the final customer,they would be closed,and the agency would want him to stay there last night,and tip today.As he says.‘It ain’t happening.’

He had already been at work 6 hours,then they wanted him to go to Birmingham,say 3 hours,tip,then get back to Leeds,say 3 hours,a total of 13 hours work,for 11 hours pay,plus breaks on top.

DHL do the same on the Newark Curry’s job,so if you are intending to work for them via the agency,check to make sure what you are getting paid.

This may not be the same at all agencies,but a lot more transport companies are trying to move towards a fixed rate per shift now,to keep their costs down,but in my opinion,if you want the job doing because one of your own men has let you down,or you have a temporary increase in work,and you don’t want to let your customer down,then you should have to pay the price for it,and the agency driver should be renumerated accordingly.

funnily enough i will be overnighting tomorrow night not for Rhys Davies but for TD Williams £8.50 for 1st 8 hrs then time and a half £12 night out money + £6 x 2 meal allowances (so effectively £24 for doing a night out) rates not as good as for Rhys Davies but its a bit closer to me (40 mile round trip instead of 70 mile round trip) plus its work and it gets me out the house :sunglasses: