Agency rates for Xmas

Hi all. I’m curious as to what rate i can hope to get for working over Christmas and the New Year period. I’m on between £9 and £12 doing class one trunking. I’m based in Central Scotland. Just trying to earn as much as i can and pay off the cards pronto. Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Pile

I would have thought it will be Normal rates with just the usual uplift for sundays and bank holidays. :confused:

A few years back i was offered £36 an hour working Xmas day, I was promised an early start and an early finish Max 8 hours but my kids are far more important than that so i knocked it back.

Bones:
I would have thought it will be Normal rates with just the usual uplift for sundays and bank holidays. :confused:

I would agree with you…except for the rare special occasion
but since xmas, and NYD fall on a monday dont hold your breathe and expect too much :unamused: my guess is your gonna have to be a smart cookie and play the agys off against each other, but you`ll prolly get egg on your face by doing so

I got £28/hour for working as a labourer on Christmas Day & Boxing Day about 9 years ago. It was working on Ipswich railway station when they were painting the footbridge.

In a nutshell they’ll pay you as little as they can get away with and they won’t know how much demand there will be for drivers nor how many are prepared to work. A few years ago (4 or 5 ) I got a call from an agency and they said name your price! I wasn’t interested that year but the following year I thought I’ll have some of that only to be told the rates that year were nothing special. This year and for evermore I’m not interested much rather enjoy the day as working in this industry means little enough normal family life anyway. :wink:

Yep, my agency has already asked about Christmas availability & they’ve said it’s standard rates. :frowning:

tallyman:
Yep, my agency has already asked about Christmas availability & they’ve said it’s standard rates. :frowning:

If it was me, the answer would be. “In that case, I have a prior engagement”.

If you believe in Christmas or not, its a major British Holiday. So it should attract a premium rate to work it. If you’re working it for the standard rate you are depressing the market rate for working all holidays.

A friend of mine was given an option to work for his company on the 3 main days of the Xmas holiday,in 2004,on the railways.

The rate given was £1000 per shift.

I kid you not.And this rate was paid to EVERYONE,from gaffer to tea boy.

Ken.