Agency query

I have been registered with 3 agencys now for about 6 weeks. I have supplied all with my availible days for the next 6 months. I am still doing my non driving job and driving in between shifts.
1st agency has supplied with work every week for at least 1 of my 3 availible days each week,2nd agency i have heard nothing from and 3rd agency has sorted me out for the last 2 weeks.
The problem is that the 3rd agency pays a much higher rate than 1st agency and i’m not sure how to play it if and when they both come up with work for the same day - luckily this has not happened yet.
I feel some loyalty to the 1st as they starting getting me work straght away where it took 4 weeks of nothing from the 3rd agency before they contacted me - although they have been in contact with me loads over last fortnight - this could be down to xmas busy periods.
What do i do when say they 1st agency ring with work and i accept then 1hr later the 3rd agency call with work, paying more money and also more local to my home.
Sorry for long post but what would you guys do?

red7jase:
I have been registered with 3 agencys now for about 6 weeks. I have supplied all with my availible days for the next 6 months. I am still doing my non driving job and driving in between shifts.
1st agency has supplied with work every week for at least 1 of my 3 availible days each week,2nd agency i have heard nothing from and 3rd agency has sorted me out for the last 2 weeks.
The problem is that the 3rd agency pays a much higher rate than 1st agency and i’m not sure how to play it if and when they both come up with work for the same day - luckily this has not happened yet.
I feel some loyalty to the 1st as they starting getting me work straght away where it took 4 weeks of nothing from the 3rd agency before they contacted me - although they have been in contact with me loads over last fortnight - this could be down to xmas busy periods.
What do i do when say they 1st agency ring with work and i accept then 1hr later the 3rd agency call with work, paying more money and also more local to my home.

Dont they have no loyalty for you, you are at the bottom of the foodchain. Go where the most money is

Get the most money from the busiest agency

it depends who is going to give you the most work especally with a quite 4 months coming up.

IMHO…

Once I’ve accepted a job from the agency, I’ve committed myself to doing it, and therefore I won’t back out (except for legitimate sickness, etc.). If you dump them and go with another agency, then you can’t really complain if they book you on a job and then call up and cancel it. Of course, if they’re always doing that to you, then they’re fair game…

Do unto others, and all that.

Guess what… It happened today
I got a call this morning with a job for tommorow which i accepted then just after lunch time another agency rang me and offered me a job tommorow. I told them i was unable to do it due backlog of xmas shopping, as it was the angency that got me the most work in the past and didn’t want to get on the wrong side of them by telling them i was doing a job for someone else, and i didnt want to let down the other agency after i had commited to work.
Do agency’s easily accept that drivers turn down work because they are working for someone else?

They can either like it or lump it . Personally i would try and do what Conor is doing .

red7jase:

been there done it and learned the hard way. my policy was ‘first come, first served’ when i was with more than one agency. if you upset them they will stop calling at all. make it clear that you work for several agencies and the first job offered is the one you will do. that keeps it all clean

Like the rest of the people here i tend to stick with the one ayg that phones 1st , not saying its loyalty , its just my personal way of dealing with the calls,
its the simplest way , and yes sometimes it does end up costing you (less rate/or if THEY cancel) but its one of those things!

MrFlibble:
IMHO…

Once I’ve accepted a job from the agency, I’ve committed myself to doing it, and therefore I won’t back out (except for legitimate sickness, etc.). If you dump them and go with another agency, then you can’t really complain if they book you on a job and then call up and cancel it. Of course, if they’re always doing that to you, then they’re fair game…

Do unto others, and all that.

couldn’t have put it better myself.

If you’ve committed to a job then that’s fine. I won’t try and talk you into letting someone ese down. I dn’t expect other agencies to do it either (although I know that some do)

I’d rather know that it is your loyalty that stops you filling a job for us than think that it’s just a reluctance to work btw

red7jase:

if you accept work by first agy cant you do it too at sec,as you cant cout you

ralliesport:
Dont they have no loyalty for you, you are at the bottom of the foodchain. Go where the most money is

When I did agency I was only with the one. I started off at the bottom of the food chain, but I accepted everything they offered - white van deliveries, multidrop 7.5 tonners etc. and eventually ended up as a respected driver getting the better jobs. Once they know you are reliable and do a decent job they start to look after you, at least around here they did!
I used to be a pro musician, and the same rules apply - you have to build a good reputation before people start booking you. Once they know you are good they want to use you. But if you are being offered good work from one agency be honest with the others and tell them that you can’t accept their work today as you are already earning £500 an hour with someone else! Be sorry; it costs nothing and they realise that you are in demand - maybe next time they will offer better money.

You have to gamble a bit - do you want to do one week only for £700 or six weeks at £400 a week and hope nothing else good comes in? There are plenty of experienced agency drivers on here who probably all have their own plan. You have to decide on your own game plan and go with it in my opinion. Personally I have always gone with loyalty - once I accept a job I will do it no matter what. If I was booking I would remember that; don’t know if agencies do, but that’s my principal. I’m not the best driver in the world, but I’m reliable and I do my best to do the job and they seem to like that! I work full time now for a company that I did a lot of agency work for and they took me on because they knew me.

Whatever you decide to do - good luck!!

The figures above are examples and not representative of realistic earnings in the music or transport industries :laughing: :laughing:

red7jase:
Guess what… It happened today
I got a call this morning with a job for tommorow which i accepted then just after lunch time another agency rang me and offered me a job tommorow. I told them i was unable to do it due backlog of xmas shopping, as it was the angency that got me the most work in the past and didn’t want to get on the wrong side of them by telling them i was doing a job for someone else, and i didnt want to let down the other agency after i had commited to work.
Do agency’s easily accept that drivers turn down work because they are working for someone else?

Only been together 6 weeks and he is already lying to me. Oh sorry that was my Mr’s :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway :smiley:

Speaking with the boot on the other foot I totally agree with Fred - I would never expect one of our dual agency men to cancel a booking they had accepted to fill our job if we were the 2nd agency to call. Also as Fred said, I wouldn’t like it doing to us.

Shame more agencies aren’t like us Fred.