Agency problem...

Went to do a shift for one of the agencies I work for the other night.
As usual, handed keys and plan and went to collect unit.
Unfortunately the unit had a seat belt that would not work, it would not wind back so was only use to a 50 stone person! Also there was no height indicator in the cab. So I put in a defect and was told that it would be sorted “after the weekend”. I refused to take the unit out so the company sent me home saying “no one else has complained, so you might as well clear off”. Called the agency from outside the yard and they told me to go back in and do the run, it was OK as the defect was logged.
I refused and now the agency will not pay me and have said they don’t need me!
Pretty frustrated as I have done a good bit of work for this agency and up to now they have always been fair to me.
Do I just walk away, or what?

mkb600:
Went to do a shift for one of the agencies I work for the other night.
As usual, handed keys and plan and went to collect unit.
Unfortunately the unit had a seat belt that would not work, it would not wind back so was only use to a 50 stone person! Also there was no height indicator in the cab. So I put in a defect and was told that it would be sorted “after the weekend”. I refused to take the unit out so the company sent me home saying “no one else has complained, so you might as well clear off”. Called the agency from outside the yard and they told me to go back in and do the run, it was OK as the defect was logged.
I refused and now the agency will not pay me and have said they don’t need me!
Pretty frustrated as I have done a good bit of work for this agency and up to now they have always been fair to me.
Do I just walk away, or what?

I don’t think you will get you’re money or any more work from the agency so you might as well give a little tip to your local VOSA center and inform them of both the agency and the companies practices :laughing: :wink:

pm’ed you

Have a word with this bloke,

He’s in your part of the world and pays well…!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90143

You won’t get far with the height indicator issue because you could have written the height down on a piece of paper and put it somewhere easily visible.

However these scumbags obviously have no interest in your safety at all if they expect you to drive with a knackered seatbelt. Shame you didn’t video it on your phone with the date and reg number, then you would have evidence. As it is you have no proof; so it’s your word against their’s since the vehicle is probably repaired by now.

You are best off out of it with both of these evil profiteers.

Find another job before you do anything about it, so certainly name and shame on the grapevine, but not here - because it’ll just get removed.

I’d leave it a couple of months then inform Vosa and suggest the company needs a few spot checks and a fleet inspection. This lot probably aren’t ‘green’ on the system, if their attitude is like it is.

As for the agency, write to them telling them you expect to be paid, since you have turned up for work and their customer has been unable to provide you with a roadworthy vehicle, which is not your fault.

If a yard does not have facillities for fixing small problems that might make a vehicle un-roadworthy, then surely they are bent?

I’m talking about things like Spare bulbs, tools to tighten up seatbelts, fixing seats, replacing missing derv caps, and even windscreen & mirror replacements… These are all roadside repairs, so only needs some guy local to the yard to pop around in a small van - assuming the transport office doesn’t have the spares themselves, and let YOU do it!

What happens if you turn up , and it’s pretty much ANY problem that would be against the law for you to drive, BUT still possible to drive it? Eg. missing wheel nuts…

If you get pulled, the firm are going to say “Hey VOSA guy, the driver should have picked that up in the walkaround checks. His fault not ours. Fine the driver, take his license away…”

The sad thing is, I’ve reported several firms to VOSA and they don’t seem to do jack around here.
Officialdom says “Small businesses are the engines of recovery don’tya know!”
… and their first commandment is
Thou shalt not criticise the firm, because endemic bentness is now being turned a blind eye to under this government.…”

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

I wasn’t there, but sometimes the seatbelt just gets a little twisted or it’s caught on something wedged against it, was the seat all the way back etc.
99% of the time, it’s a simple mess around to sort it, if not then you did right.

The height indicator, as someone else pointed out, you could’ve written on the back of a note or anything, as long as it’s correct and visible, you’re fine.

The agency have to pay you if you were sent home due to a defective vehicle, assume you had your tacho in during the checks so you can prove you attended work if you have to take them to a small claims court.

Thank you GasGas for pointing him in our direction…our offices are in Crewe and Stoke on Trent…so I am sure we can assist in finding alternative work

I came into this from driving instructing, I didn’t expect to feel I was acting like some holy driving man. One of the first thing I learned license holders are cheap and expendable. There’s a very drive it or starve attitude and agencies get all ruffled when the “client” complains you become a “trouble maker” and work dries up.

As for spending time fixing things that’s ok until you get the, this is your alarm calling why are you not there yet please explain yourself.

just wait for the agency to ring(which they will when theyre desperate)and tell them that when youre paid what they owe you…you`ll work.
no pay…no play

Redrorry:
I came into this from driving instructing, I didn’t expect to feel I was acting like some holy driving man. One of the first thing I learned license holders are cheap and expendable. There’s a very drive it or starve attitude and agencies get all ruffled when the “client” complains you become a “trouble maker” and work dries up.

As for spending time fixing things that’s ok until you get the, this is your alarm calling why are you not there yet please explain yourself.

I don’t get ya mate.

If you mean you’d be late for a delivery, if it’s not a 2 min fix, it’s not getting fixed. I’m talking, pull seat forward, make sure belt isn’t snagged or twisted, give it a quick tug to see if it’s just locked out, not strip it apart.

waynedl:

Redrorry:

I don’t get ya mate.

If you mean you’d be late for a delivery, if it’s not a 2 min fix, it’s not getting fixed. I’m talking, pull seat forward, make sure belt isn’t snagged or twisted, give it a quick tug to see if it’s just locked out, not strip it apart.

I mean everything bites into your time, it was not in reply to your seat belt comment. The best deliveries are the ones without “times” just annoying giddy up calls :wink: . I’m talking agency now, Yes mister agency can do, yes mister client can do. These people don’t want “negatives” so they end up with drivers taking the risk to feed their bairns.

commonrail:
just wait for the agency to ring(which they will when theyre desperate)and tell them that when youre paid what they owe you…you`ll work. no pay…no play

. . . or agree to go in to help them out . . . and stay at home waiting for the call to ask where you are to then tell them “no pay, no play” . . .

. . . assuming they ever call you again that is.

Stan