Agency overtime question

To any agency guys on here do you get a higher rate after a certain number of hours? I’m on a flat rate and want to know if it’s normal.

I only get more on nights and weekends etc… Wanted to check if that’s normal as if it’s not I’ll look at different agencies.

All my work was OT after 8 hours.

I always got a higher rate after 8 hours 45 minutes. The 45 was for my break and therefore unpaid. I’d be having words if I were you, or at least checking your contract. If they’ve underpaid you, you should be due that money back. Provided you kept pay slips and can prove you’re owed it.

Captain Caveman 76:
I always got a higher rate after 8 hours 45 minutes. The 45 was for my break and therefore unpaid. I’d be having words if I were you, or at least checking your contract. If they’ve underpaid you, you should be due that money back. Provided you kept pay slips and can prove you’re owed it.

It’s what I agreed too. And I have no right to demand more now. But I might look at different agencies and then go back and negotiate if this is standard practice.

I was asking as every lad on the agency with me is on flat money. But I’d read on here about people getting more after 8 hours.

Did manage to get 8 hours pay for 30mins work today when the vehicle was defective. So I feel okay with the job. Wouldn’t let me change the indicator bulb and fitter was going to take too long. So I drove home with my signed timesheet. Even offered to drive my car to buy the bulb - but apparently, I’m not qualified.

sammym:

Captain Caveman 76:

It’s what I agreed too. And I have no right to demand more now. But I might look at different agencies and then go back and negotiate if this is standard practice.

I was asking as every lad on the agency with me is on flat money. But I’d read on here about people getting more after 8 hours.

Did manage to get 8 hours pay for 30mins work today when the vehicle was defective. So I feel okay with the job. Wouldn’t let me change the indicator bulb and fitter was going to take too long. So I drove home with my signed timesheet. Even offered to drive my car to buy the bulb - but apparently, I’m not qualified.

As far as wages are concerned, they’ve had your pants down. Pretty low of them to take advantage of a newbie, but as many on here say, agencies are ■■■■■.

We have a similar issue with bulbs. All our vehicles are leased. The company we lease them off won’t let any unauthorised (unqualified) person carry out ANY repair on them. We’re supposed to call someone out to change the bulbs. Some drivers are happy to do it themselves and the office turn a blind eye to it. Others will happily sit in the canteen for 60-90 minutes on pay whilst some guy charges £100+ to change a £1 bulb. Funny old world is this trucking.

Like full time jobs pay conditions vary, flat hourly rate, flat rate + OT, shift rate etc.

Just because a trucknet member at an agency and company the other side of the country to you gets overtime you shouldn’t expect it.

Captain Caveman 76:

sammym:

Captain Caveman 76:

As far as wages are concerned, they’ve had your pants down. Pretty low of them to take advantage of a newbie, but as many on here say, agencies are [zb].

We have a similar issue with bulbs. All our vehicles are leased. The company we lease them off won’t let any unauthorised (unqualified) person carry out ANY repair on them. We’re supposed to call someone out to change the bulbs. Some drivers are happy to do it themselves and the office turn a blind eye to it. Others will happily sit in the canteen for 60-90 minutes on pay whilst some guy charges £100+ to change a £1 bulb. Funny old world is this trucking.

Well they just told me I may as well go home. I’m booked there tomorrow so we shall see if it’s fixed. I get paid either way so won’t complain. But I was amazed they would send me home rather than let me change the bulb or wait for a fitter.

I’ll look at new agencies after I’ve done my class 1 in a couple of weeks. I know three guys at my agency and we are all flat rate. Two are new like me. And one claims to have done it all - but he asked me how to open curtains as he’s always done fridges apparently. But we are all flat rate.

I’ve heard good things about permatemps from other drivers in Brum so I’ll go and register with them after class 1 and see what they pay.

sammym:

Captain Caveman 76:

sammym:

Captain Caveman 76:

As far as wages are concerned, they’ve had your pants down. Pretty low of them to take advantage of a newbie, but as many on here say, agencies are [zb].

Well they just told me I may as well go home. I’m booked there tomorrow so we shall see if it’s fixed. I get paid either way so won’t complain. But I was amazed they would send me home rather than let me change the bulb or wait for a fitter.

I’ll look at new agencies after I’ve done my class 1 in a couple of weeks. I know three guys at my agency and we are all flat rate. Two are new like me. And one claims to have done it all - but he asked me how to open curtains as he’s always done fridges apparently. But we are all flat rate.

I’ve heard good things about permatemps from other drivers in Brum so I’ll go and register with them after class 1 and see what they pay.

There’s worse places.

At my old place you weren’t even allowed to put coolant into a vehicle yourself. Had to be done by a fitter…

I never qualified for “overtime” whilst on agency.

The firms that used to pay it “after 8 hours” would have you in for 9 hour shifts exactly, knocking off an hour for break, leaving you with 8 hours flat paid. You’d be planned very carefully to be back at the depot so you didn’t go over…

The agencies that paid a right-through rate, and “Nights for starts from 18:00 onwards” would try and get you to do a 15 hour shift starting at 17:30 or 17:45, especially on a friday night…

All paid at daytime rate, no saturday premium, and no extra for going over 8 hours on one of THESE shifts of course.

I’ve experienced BOTH the above scenarios when being sent into Teynham, F&W via different agencies. :imp:

It all depends on what you have agreed with the agency. The ones I have worked with have always paid me a flat rate during the day for whatever hours I do and an enhanced rate for the weekend.

If I have had to do nights before agreeing I try to squeeze a little more out of them, they can only say yes or no so if you don’t ask you don’t get.

You mentioned you are getting your Class 1 and hope to negotiate further with the agencies.

I should not say but wishful thinking and hope you are lucky but most agencies don’t touch newbies to get onto the class 1 working ladder.

My experience with Pertemps Leicester was atrocious, as a new pass they made me do their driving assessment in Crick which I passed and then totally ignored me on the phone for any work. When I did go into the office to challenge them they said “oh we did not know you was still looking!!”

Saying that I am with Pertemps Derby (the manager absolutely fantastic), with around 15 months experience had to do the same assessment but thankfully passed again and then an assessment with Royal Mail (RM) whom I have been working exclusively for the last 22 weeks.

Talking about pay rates they have 8 different ones together with an overtime rate with anything over 37.25 hours (not that I do that many hours!)

Good luck, show enthusiasm and flexibility and you will be fine…and then in 2 years time you can call the shots!!

Overtime after 8hrs is a thing that’s dying off. Even many hauliers will now only pay overtime after 45/50hrs or whatever knowing that you’re only likely to get a handful a week.

I’m on flat rate. Hourly rate is around £1-£1.50 higher than most others and I get paid breaks as well and am not expected to rush around with things like not expected to leave the yard less than half an hour after starting and taking time to wash the motor at the end of a shift. When you do the maths it doesn’t work out too bad. 11hrs I do today is £121 paid flat rate at £11/hr. If I were on a pound an hour less, £10, but with time and a half after 8hrs and having my break deducted I’d be on £114. Over a full 15hr shift and assuming only one deduction of 45 minutes for the guy doing overtime I’m only £8.75 worse off before tax/NI but only less than £6.20/hr after stoppages.

I’ve done few shifts with agency, no overtime, just flat rate. But as I’m new and can do only weekends I’m not complaining, every shift appreciated as experience and some money of course…

All the agencies that I have ever worked for have paid minimum of 8 hrs , overtime after 8 hrs , enhanced rate on nights , Saturday and Sunday. Special rate on Bank holidays .
Maybe I have been spoilt in the past as only one ever messed me about by trying to be deceptive with payment .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I was asking as I really don’t know.

It doesn’t sound like I’m doing that badly. I get £11/hour for days mon-fri. And if shifts starts after 6pm it’s £12/hour. Saturday is £13/hour and Sunday is £14/hour.

That’s all for class 2. I think it goes up by £1/hour for class 1. That’s if I get class 1 shifts. I get class 2 money for 7.5t work as I have an agreement after some negotiation with agency. All my rates are for Ltd.

I’ll look into these permatemps assessments. I have been told you have to do one but I have no idea what’s involved. I don’t mind staying on class 2 for a while anyway - but we shall see.

Shift today was canceled when I got there. I should still get paid for my 8 hours. Didn’t even get to park before they told me that the wagon still isn’t fixed and I may as well go home. Total madness over a bulb but there we go.