Agency not paid me, what can be done?

MrHappy:
You could try this

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … iller.html

But I wouldn’t recommend it :smiley:

You could try e-mailing the agency with that attatchment, just to encourage them like… :grimacing:

papermonkey:

MrHappy:
You could try this

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … iller.html

But I wouldn’t recommend it :smiley:

You could try e-mailing the agency with that attatchment, just to encourage them like… :grimacing:

:smiling_imp:

If you’re acting as a self employed driver, then the late payment of commercial debts (interest) Act 1998, as amended and supplemented by the late payment of commercial debts regulations 2002, is your friend.
It allows you to charge a fixed recovery cost (£40 for debts under £1000, £70 for over £1000 to £10k, and £100 over that amount). as well as interest at 8% over base.
It depends upon the agreed credit terms, which if none are negotiated generally are 30days. After that, slap them with a recovery fee per invoice and interest if you cba to work it out.
Then failing that, moneyclaim.gov.uk is your friend if the debt is under £5k. A county court summons usually gets their interest, and start at about £25 for the initial issuing of papers, rising depending of the debt. You can sue for over £5k, but it’s not on the small claims track which is a lot simpler.
I have a fair amount of experience with the small claims track so feel free to ask any questions, however IANAL!

how can it be that it took you till the end of week 2 to think this jobs not for me?
timewasters dont you just need em!..i think you are onto a good thing if you got owt!

Regardless of what ever contract they gave you
The state law always over rides it
You are entitled to the national minimum wage for the hours you have done for the week in question
And if you believe you are under paid or have not been paid you should take this up with the inland revenues national minimum wage department
They have the powers to come into your business premises without a warrant and go through all the paper work
And make sure you are paid the NMW
They do take a while to investigate though; so worth threatening the firm first
Coz the last thing anyone needs is a visit from the Inland Revenue

browmbear1:
They really do not do them any favours do they?
Who the hell do they think they are?

They are crooks mate
Thomas Higands in Liverpool used to do a nice ‘letter before action’ for £1.50

lord_screaming_sutch:
You are entitled to the national minimum wage for the hours you have done for the week in question
And if you believe you are under paid or have not been paid you should take this up with the inland revenues national minimum wage department
They have the powers to come into your business premises without a warrant and go through all the paper work

cough or VOSA… I’m unsure on which is worse. I guess the revnoo as they don’t even have to knock…

lord_screaming_sutch:

STOP !! THINK !!! He’s done two weeks TRAINING !! Training does not command a minimum wage. If you get paid for training then well and good, but there’s nothing to say you have to be paid for training, only for employed work.

Cyberprog:

lord_screaming_sutch:

cough or VOSA… I’m unsure on which is worse. I guess the revnoo as they don’t even have to knock…

Yeah what they gonna say?..“you been providing training and not paying the minimum wage for it?”…don;t make me laugh.

browmbear1:
Morning!

" Not a problem I thought, even if the job didn’t suit, 2 weeks work! So win win! "

This was an off the cuff, after the fact remark. I was genuinely wanting long term work, as do we all. As I said the first week was classroom based, the second being on the job with full time employees. It was only when I got to the end of week two that I decided that the job just didn’t suit. It was just too heavy. Also remembering that at any time they could tell me I was not required.
Why does that only work one way these days?
Whilst I agree that it was two weeks wasted on me, I still think I should be paid. If I was not entitled to any money at all, why are the agency not phoning me to recover week one’s wage back?

Thanks for all comments I do appreciate it…

Lets cut to the chase !! You signed something to say you would do two weeks training, if you didn’t complete it you wouldn’t be paid. I’ll guess there is a reference to you accepting the work also?
I can’t be the only one who is dying to know who the work was for, what it entailed and why you refused it. But thats something you can explain to a small claims court when you ask to be paid for training for a job you never took up. I’m suprised they paid you a week. If i was the agency i wouldn’t of paid you at all. I reckon even a simpleton can grasp the fact you aint gonna be paid to train for a job you don’t want to do.
Anyway, come on., why did you backheel it?!!

Mike-C:
Training does not command a minimum wage…

Mike I dont know about this
all I can say is he should phone ACAS on monday and ask what the score is with regards to training work
They have allways explained things well to me
I think you should have your copy of your contract in from of you when speaking to them
If you like PM me a copy of your contract

Just a quick question hear
What if they said half way though his training he was no good and they wanted rid of him
do you think he entitled to the money or not

lord_screaming_sutch:

Mike-C:
Training does not command a minimum wage…

Mike I dont know about this
all I can say is he should phone ACAS on monday and ask what the score is with regards to training work
They have allways explained things well to me
I think you should have your copy of your contract in from of you when speaking to them
If you like PM me a copy of your contract

What if they said half way though his training he was no good and they wanted rid of him

I’ve never heard of anyone failing training that they have attended. He could phone ACAS as you say. For a laugh lets guess how the conversation will go…
Hi is that ACAS?
Yeah.
I done some training for a job and i never took the job, they gave me a weeks wage for a fortnights training when i said i didn;t want the job.
Why didn’t you want the job?
…we will have to see what he says !!!

no i think that is a very sarcastic remark about ACAS and they have never been like that with me before even if they thought the employer was in the right
But we are still weighting for opening post to return hear and tell us why he chose to opt out of the job

But I very much dout now he will take this matter any further, just my thoughts

Update…

First of all thanks for all the comments, even the negative ones, I do appreciate them all.

I sent a letter to the agency basically giving them 14 days to pay or I would be taking the matter further. I was paid 2 days after receipt of the letter. (all I wanted)
Not going to name the agency as I don’t feel it is the right thing to do. The job was for Carlsberg on Dray work. A job with a very high risk of injury hence the two weeks training. If all that was learned during training was put into practice whilst out doing the job, I would still be there. It’s fine for the regular guys to work this way, because if they do happen to get hurt, they are straight on the sick, and Bupa look after them. Unfortunately not for me. I end up at home on the couch with no income! I really gave it a go, but not for me.

Thanks again for all the comments!

lord_screaming_sutch:

One point I asked the agency, needless to say, there was no reply to this…