Agency licence check

is your agency doing the licence check by means of using the premium rate dvla telephone enquiry service…i ask this because i feel as though that im being ripped off at £2.35 aa minute for a 5 minute call to give the ok for my agency to have access to my licence is diabolical…

what happened to the usual licence check after all should not the agency reimburse me…its like athreat or really it is a threat because if i dont phone them its goodbyee no drive…its also 49p a minute to use a landline but that too is expensive if your stuck in the call centre que.

according to dvla website the licence check is for car hire and if that is so then is that not abuse of the system …thoughts please

Pertemps rang Dvla on their office phone, passed it to me to confirm it was ok to pass on details. I didn’t get charged anything.

russell2587:
Pertemps rang Dvla on their office phone, passed it to me to confirm it was ok to pass on details. I didn’t get charged anything.

Same here with ADR in Leeds. If they’d said to me I was paying for it they would have been greeted with “cya”.

Clearly you’ve got “mug” tattoo’d on your forehead, ■■■■■■00. :laughing:

■■■■■■00:
is that not abuse of the system …

Expecting you to pay, probably yes. Actually requesting a licence check then no.

Nowt wrong with the old system, otherwise I’d be working for someone else. Into office, original docs into photocopydoofer, then out the door. Total time taken - 30 seconds, total cost - nowt. Or am I missing something?

Whilst you’re on about doc checks though, digicard hasn’t been checked/downloaded for about 2 years! :confused:

a few agencies in Dublin have started this craic of getting us to go to our motor tax office to get a print out to state we have been good boys with no points/bans on the licence,which costs us 6e and is not refunded by the agency and they have informed us that if we dont do it they wont/cannot place us with companies they do work for.
Yet our eastern euro lads get no checks done what so ever(which is bllx) and when i said it to the agency about their eastern euro staff they said they cannot check there licence for bans/points etc or even if the licence is real :open_mouth: ,which is another load of bllx we have a rule here that once a person driving for more than 12 months on a licence from another country they must exchange it for an Irish one.

it is down to the agency to pay for checks,

nickb67:
Nowt wrong with the old system, otherwise I’d be working for someone else. Into office, original docs into photocopydoofer, then out the door. Total time taken - 30 seconds, total cost - nowt. Or am I missing something?

Whilst you’re on about doc checks though, digicard hasn’t been checked/downloaded for about 2 years! :confused:

What is wrong with the old system is that it is very easy if you get banned from driving, to tell the court/DVLA that you have lost your counterpart. you then give this old counterpart to your employer/agency when asked for a licence check. That is why most agencies/employers use the DVLA, I believe it is something like 1 in 5 drivers are driving on dodgy licences. There are companies that will do employee licence checks on behalf of employers/agencies at a much reduced fee, making regular checks based on all drivers licences, including EU licence holders, and take the work away from the transport team leaving them free to concentrate on thier own jobs. I happen to know of such a company if any employers/agencies are interested! :wink:

■■■■■■00:
is your agency doing the licence check by means of using the premium rate dvla telephone enquiry service…i ask this because i feel as though that im being ripped off at £2.35 aa minute for a 5 minute call to give the ok for my agency to have access to my licence is diabolical…

SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers is your friend

Rob K:

russell2587:

Same here with ADR in Leeds. If they’d said to me I was paying for it they would have been greeted with “cya”.

Clearly you’ve got “mug” tattoo’d on your forehead, ■■■■■■00. :laughing:

Ditto what Russ & Rob said

truckerjon:
I happen to know of such a company if any employers/agencies are interested! :wink:

sounds like…
■■?

truckerjon:

nickb67:

What is wrong with the old system is that it is very easy if you get banned from driving, to tell the court/DVLA that you have lost your counterpart. you then give this old counterpart to your employer/agency when asked for a licence check. That is why most agencies/employers use the DVLA, I believe it is something like 1 in 5 drivers are driving on dodgy licences. There are companies that will do employee licence checks on behalf of employers/agencies at a much reduced fee, making regular checks based on all drivers licences, including EU licence holders, and take the work away from the transport team leaving them free to concentrate on thier own jobs. I happen to know of such a company if any employers/agencies are interested! :wink:

Call me thick if you like but explain how this system works. At present I have a dl issued by dvla. What you are saying is that it is not worth the paper it is printed on. A point comes to mind, what is to stop someone using another persons details when the check is done. I hired a van once and had no proof of ID but company were happy to ring DVLA and accept that I was legal on the details I gave them. Bearing in mind that most information they ask for is in the public domain, i.e. DoB, Mothers maiden name, place of birth etc.

Having had dealings with DVLA staff over the years I wouldn’t rely on them for anything , least of all trying to earn a living.

It is more about making money, something DVLA are very good at.

russell2587:

Ditto, any firm that wants to check my details is fine to do so, but at their cost.

Same when I was on coaches and we had to have ‘enhanced disclosures’, no probs, you pay for it and you can have it, I’m not paying to come to work though.

I just take my licence into agency every 6 mouth or so form them to check

waddy640:
At present I have a dl issued by dvla. What you are saying is that it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

No, the point was if you were to be banned by a court but failed to surrender your licence claiming it was lost you’d still be in possesion of what appears to be a valid licence.

mrpj:

waddy640:
At present I have a dl issued by dvla. What you are saying is that it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

No, the point was if you were to be banned by a court but failed to surrender your licence claiming it was lost you’d still be in possesion of what appears to be a valid licence.

Which is effectively the same thing, how does anyone know that you are legally allowed to drive unless they confirm it with DVLA.

To take this to it’s illogical conclusion, you would have to check with the DVLA every day that courts were in session just in case someone got banned and did not declare it. Think about it.

They only asked how many points I had said thanks and put the phone down

waddy640:

mrpj:

waddy640:

Which is effectively the same thing, how does anyone know that you are legally allowed to drive unless they confirm it with DVLA.

To take this to it’s illogical conclusion, you would have to check with the DVLA every day that courts were in session just in case someone got banned and did not declare it. Think about it.

Yes, in theory you are right, the only way to sure is to check every day with the DVLA, which would be logistically impossible. What normally happens in any drivers with say 0 - 3 points have thier details checked every 6 months with the DVLA, anyone with 4-6 points would be checked every 3 months, and anyone with more than 6 points would be checked every month. It’s still not a fool proof system, but it is about the best available at the moment. Only when full access to the DVLA database is permitted, willl it be secure. I often get asked for my licence, sometimes on a daily basis, and as i try to explain, if I went through 14 red lights, 20 speed cameras, and got smashed out of my brain yesterday, it’s not going to show on my licence overnight.

■■■■■■00:

Why are you paying? I’ve never paid. I’ve merely had the phone passed to me, confirmed I am who I am and given them permission to tell the agency and then handed the phone back.