Agency knocking breaks off

Currently on containers self employed. Been having my breaks on bays etc when loading unloading. The agency say the employer are knocking 3.75 hr off per week 5x45min

So can I have my breaks on the road 45min each day to offset this rather than doing them a favour and having them on bays ?

Yes,but in theory it will mean in the process you will be extending your working day by 45 mins with no extra pay just to make a point so it’s swings & roundabouts…

Yeah.Play them at there own game.I sure as hell would

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Its not a game! and there is no reason why you cant have a break on a bay if your not involved in loading /off loading
drivers who want paying while doing nothing are

SHYTOT:
Its not a game! and there is no reason why you cant have a break on a bay if your not involved in loading /off loading
drivers who want paying while doing nothing are

The joys of being paid through. I had to wait an hour at a crossrail drop earlier. That was paid. I had four hours asleep on break earlier. Paid for every minute of it. Then I went for a dump and got paid for that too.

Everything is more satisfying when you get paid for it.

Your self employed so what do your terms you gave the agency say about paid breaks

Just take your breaks in your own time.
Do not sit on loading bays for 3.75 hours per week for free.

We were taken over by a big company and went from.paid through to 45mins stop a day. A lot of people might think it’s petty to quibble. That works out at giving your employer a 15 hour shift a month for free! We parted company.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Hourly pay always meant not being paid for lunch time.Only salary staff were paid for lunch time IE 9 - 5 = 8 hour day for staff and 8 - 5 = 8 hour day for hourly paid in factory work for example.I never worked anywhere where I was paid for lunchtime usually overall shift time minus 1 hour.

Just stop somewhere nice and have a walk. Sit outside and have your lunch in the fresh air in this weather rather than in a cab. If you are near a beach take your boots off and walk in the sand. Avoid services like the plague - they are where happy people go to lose their soul.

The reason people complain about this job is that there is no work-life balance. But it’s one of the few jobs where not only are you traveling - but ultimately it’s up to you where you stop and have a break. As an agency driver the worst the company can do is ask you not to come back. Which would be no great hardship for me if they expected me to have a break sitting being unloaded or loaded.

There is no need to be a hgv hero running around like a madman stressing. I have taken the view that the route is up to me. And I now use an atlas and often pick nice roads rather than sitting on the motorway. It might take a little longer - but it’s a lot more satisfying being able to enjoy yourself.

Stinka:
Currently on containers self employed. Been having my breaks on bays etc when loading unloading. The agency say the employer are knocking 3.75 hr off per week 5x45min

So can I have my breaks on the road 45min each day to offset this rather than doing them a favour and having them on bays ?

Why aren’t you even if you get paid them? I work at a place we get paid straight through. Even though we get paid breaks if you’re suspected of working on break then they have a word with you in the office. You’re still expected to take them properly, not tip/load on break.

Also as you’re self employed what did you put down in your terms of business that you got the agency to sign about being paid for breaks? I take it you do have terms of business you get your customers to sign? If not then that’s a bit silly and allows them to do what they want including not paying you for several weeks/months if at all.

Conor:
Also as you’re self employed what did you put down in your terms of business that you got the agency to sign about being paid for breaks? I take it you do have terms of business you get your customers to sign? If not then that’s a bit silly and allows them to do what they want including not paying you for several weeks/months if at all.

“The general rule is that contracts can be made informally; most contracts can
be formed orally, and in some cases, no oral or written communication at all
is needed. Thus, an informal exchange of promises can still be as binding and
legally valid as a written contract.”

a4id.org/wp-content/uploads/ … glance.pdf

sammym:

Conor:

“The general rule is that contracts can be made informally; most contracts can
be formed orally, and in some cases, no oral or written communication at all
is needed. Thus, an informal exchange of promises can still be as binding and
legally valid as a written contract.”

a4id.org/wp-content/uploads/ … glance.pdf

Well I’m not going to read all that lot but Stinka appears to have neither a verbal or written contract, if he did they wouldn’t be stopping anything

45 mins stopped lucky you. I get stopped an hour a day. On normal pay for 8.5 hrs. Then an hour for dinner. Then after that time and half. Not ideal. But as was told office warehouse they all take an.hours break every day unpaid. So fair enough I guess. So I take my break. Very rare I’ll take it sat on a losing bay etc unless it suits me and want get back early

edd1974:
45 mins stopped lucky you. I get stopped an hour a day. On normal pay for 8.5 hrs. Then an hour for dinner. Then after that time and half. Not ideal. But as was told office warehouse they all take an.hours break every day unpaid. So fair enough I guess. So I take my break. Very rare I’ll take it sat on a losing bay etc unless it suits me and want get back early

But do you all have the same conditions for your break such as a canteen or shops, do they also work the same hours as you what happens if you get stuck in traffic and all the other staff go home I no yo get overtime but it seems like 2 sets of rules

Well after taking it up with the transport manager and the agency and getting a load of bollox from both I’ve made a phone call and start another job Monday

Job was [zb] anyway

Ive had about 25-30 jobs in 18 months, I’m not afraid to move, joys of being limited I guess

Stinka:
Ive had about 25-30 jobs in 18 months, I’m not afraid to move, joys of being limited I guess

If i was a company and knew you had that many jobs i would avoid you .You would seem unreliable to me.If you dont get your own way you chuck the toys out and go away in a huff.

Don’t put yourself down. I’m sure you’re better than limited ;0)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

edd1974:

That’s what I used to do, tip on other work or POA then have my break after I’ve left. Unless its suited me because I wanted to be back early or would be finished within 8hrs 45 mins as I was guaranteed 8 hours regardless.

Used to do one job that was a 1200 start on a Sunday, go in and wait for the trailer to be loaded usually around an hour, drive 2 hours, trailer swap, 2 hours back, park on bay and finish. Always did it in less than 6 hours, other drivers stopped on way back for 45, so still under their 8 hrs guaranteed,they couldn’t understand why I didn’t take my break!! Plus the lads at the factory were usually waiting to finish as this was the last trailer in and they were on guaranteed pay too.