Agency driving

I started with a new agency yesterday and was told to go to Halfords at coventry for a 2100 start, arrive at 2045 ready to go only to find another 10 drivers also waiting, by the way this is a DHL site, 1 hour later we are all sent home as there are no runs!!! WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY, no wonder wages are kept low, work conditions are worsening and companies are going out of business.

8 hours money for doing next to nothing? I’m not seeing the problem.

8 Hours pay for nothing and it’s your first day. I wouldn’t be complaining :wink:

Not complaining at all, just pointing out how much money gets wasted in this industry, in my last job i lost count of the times 2 trucks would turn up at a location to pick up the same load, time and diesel wasted!!! with ref to my first post surley planners know how many drivers are needed, they dont plan to fail just fail to plan!!

You could always offer to pay back your wage. Every little helps :wink:

melv1golf:
in my last job i lost count of the times 2 trucks would turn up at a location to pick up the same load

Now that is a company that I would like to work for

ah man, I love agency work.

There’s nothing quite like sitting at home, kicking your boots off and almost being fuming thinking “I’ve just wasted a good hour there, for nothing”

Then realising you’ll paid 8 hours work for the next 7 hours sat on your backside doing naff all.
Why anyone moans about agency work is a mystery to me!

coulda been worse, coulda been sent home after sitting their for 8 hours

gogzy:

A lot of companies are taking to doing that, including finding you something to do - which is almost invariably litter picking!! They see it as they’re paying for you so why shouldn’t you be there. I’m not messing about like that anymore though - when it becomes clear they’ve nothing for me, I’m offskies! I’d rather lose 6hrs money than 6hrs of my life.

darkseeker:

gogzy:

A lot of companies are taking to doing that, including finding you something to do - which is almost invariably litter picking!! They see it as they’re paying for you so why shouldn’t you be there. I’m not messing about like that anymore though - when it becomes clear they’ve nothing for me, I’m offskies! I’d rather lose 6hrs money than 6hrs of my life.

a company requests as a driver, so if they aint got the driving work for you thats their problem. if they want a litter picker, i suggest they ring the agency and ask for one. i aint scared of a bit of work (loading/unloading) as required as it comes with the job but litter pickin is a no no in my book

melv1golf:
with ref to my first post surley planners know how many drivers are needed

Even with “own account” situations, Im sure the planners know what theyre doing …occasionally :unamused:
Which is why they pre-booked all those drivers, in the anticipation that the customer has forwarned them that they need ■■■ amount of orders delivering that day. Then the customer decides that they dont need all those orders, theyll cancel and cut back the volumes. so the planner is left with several drivers spare. It would be a very different senario if the situation was reversed, and the customer increased volumes at the last minute. However if its also part of the DHL supply chain network, the planners can be asked to cover jobs & back hauls for other depots.

At this time of year dont look the proverbial 8hr gift horse in the mouth, as there will always be another less fortunate agency driver whos willing to take YOUR place to sit in a canteeen etc for 1-8hrs for the money

Steve-o:
You could always offer to pay back your wage. Every little helps :wink:

Steve,let me guess
You are often at Tesco? :grimacing:

When I did Agency work they’d always find a way to squirm out of paying me, like if I was sent home they’d only pay me 4 hours or something. However, I didn’t have the leverage back then to demand more, being only a 7.5t driver :astonished:

Make a note though of these short shifts in case the agency try to short change you! :smiling_imp:

peirre:
However if its also part of the DHL supply chain network, the planners can be asked to cover jobs & back hauls for other depots.

Anyone else noticed more & more Americanisms creeping into our English language?
I’ve noticed I often get emails, from UK people, now beginning “Hey” instead of “Hi”.

As to the topic. I wouldn’t be happy if was expecting to get 12 hrs in, say 8 @ £8 + 4 @ 12 = £112 but now I’m only going to get £64 :imp:

Best shift I did with Halfords was 1/2 hour before being sent home with 8 hours on my time sheet :smiley:

Make the most of it :wink: