Agency driving on days off

Once I get my cpc done I’m going to try and get some cat c agency work on my days off.

At the minute I work Monday,Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday with Wednesday, Sunday being my days off. I’m self employed and on a normal week I will on average work 30-35 hours. This is door to door so the 35hours would include me driving from job to job.

I’m struggling to understand the drivers hours completely to be honest but am I right in thinking that the 35 hours would be classed as other work and I would be only allowed to drive for one 9 or 10 hour day as doing two days would take me over 50 hours of work.

Really getting myself in a muckin fuddle with this.

Thanks as always

As far as I see it you can only work Wednesday as you need Sunday off as a rest day. 35 hours will be classed as other work. I stand to be corrected on this .

Doesn’t sound worth it in my opinion mate. As said,you have to adhere to the weekly rest requirements,and also you may have to record the ’ driving ’ part of your other work separately from the actual carpet fitting work itself.

Just sounds like a lot of ■■■■■■■ about. Do you not fancy just getting stuck right into the LGV driving buddy?

eagerbeaver:
Doesn’t sound worth it in my opinion mate. As said,you have to adhere to the weekly rest requirements,and also you may have to record the ’ driving ’ part of your other work separately from the actual carpet fitting work itself.

Just sounds like a lot of ■■■■■■■ about. Do you not fancy just getting stuck right into the LGV driving buddy?

Why would he need to record it separately?

eagerbeaver:
Do you not fancy just getting stuck right into the LGV driving buddy?[/quote

Im on 22-25k gross at the mo so with bills and mortgage to pay class 1 is the only option to achieve what im earning now.

Recording ’ driving ’ separately . I was thinking along the lines Roymundo,of the difference between driving for a longer period to a customer with a smaller job vs driving a short distance for a long job.

Not sure(which is why I put ’ may '),if it makes a difference for obvious reasons ie max DRIVING hours per week.

Maybe Tachograph or someone could give a definitive answer.

You are correct, your job counts as ‘other work’, and would need to be accounted for as such. I believe you will need to fit in a continuous rest period of 45 hours at least once every two weeks. In between you can reduce your rest from 45 hours to not less than 24 hours, but you would then have to make up the shortfall within three weeks. It isn’t clear from your work pattern how you could do that, as your two rest days are split.

The ‘experience trap’ is said to be a minimum of two years, but I saw mention the other day that there may be an additional requirement that you have driven at least 180 days in those two years. I don’t know where this comes from, or how widespread it is as a rule, but you may need to bear it in mind as you formulate your plans.

Driving a van is “other work”. Doesn’t matter whether he drives 10 minutes or 10 hours. It has no impact at all on “driving hours”.

Fair enough mate. I will get back to my Speckled Hen/Bombardier.