Agency Drivers - who's sorting your DCPC training out?

Just wondered what the crack is with you boys from agencies? One of the agencies round here is making the lads book their dcpc training through them (the agency)… it would appear that they are paying £78 quid a session… direct to the agency - now is it me or am I thinking they are taking a cut ?

I am, I’m self employed. It’s my business and it’s down to me, if I don’t have it then I don’t get the work…simple ! Done 21 hours with my ADR so far and am still hopeful of the EU collapsing so that this money making nonsense is lost in the red tape and becomes history

Theyre taking the proverbial.............Agency drivers will have to sort and finance their own DCPC, but its up them who provides it. Likewise Ltd Co drivers will put the training costs thru their books, don`t let anyone back you into a corner and force you into doing training via them, afterall they are a business and will want to make a profit out of anything. AFAIK round here the price is dropping fast, the last I heard the going rate for 1x module was about £50 or less. Which the same provider (DHL) was charging £110 for only 14 months ago. whether this is because there is an over subscribed amount of providers scrabbling for work, or drivers being cagey and shopping around.
I finished mine this time last year, and like kerbdog I did 21hrs via the ADR, and did the final 2x 7hrs modules, on satuday mornings sitting in courses to bulk up the numbers setup for small hauliers, and run by a guy I know (down the pub) who is 1 of the trainers for Scania UK, who is also an ex Pawsons driver

did mine over a year ago, my choice of provider, did ADR, FLT, HIAB and SAFED

Kerbdog:
I am, I’m self employed. It’s my business and it’s down to me, if I don’t have it then I don’t get the work…simple ! Done 21 hours with my ADR so far and am still hopeful of the EU collapsing so that this money making nonsense is lost in the red tape and becomes history

+1

I funded mine on my own along with my ADR a wee while back. Biggest waste of money ever, still no work :angry:

Screw the EU and their horsecrap bureaucracy. They’re just making life harder for everyone.

I will stick by what i wrote last year, i believe that the price of DCPC will drop as providers try to grab drivers who don’t or won’t pay for this discredited course ( i won’t call it a qualification because that would be an insult to all who actually have to do something to obtain one).
Providers struggle to fill 7 hours with meaningful information and as in the case of RHA presenters they fill the time with puerile basic talks on such things as walk around checks or road signs-for goodness sake. And they charge over £100 for the privilege!
Despite the constant pushing of the DCPC by the magazine “ Truck and Driver” which should be ashamed of itself for not representing drivers views but just toes the government line and it’s own self interest, drivers are not taking up the courses taking the cheapest, or doing deals with providers to have there hours uploaded for cash with no- class room needed.
In the last issue of Truck and Driver they actually lie when they say that you risk losing your licence if you don’t have a cpc card- Not True, no driver will loose your HGV licence if you don’t have a cpc card.
I think the cpc is here to stay but i ‘m sure prices will drop to rock bottom as Sept 2014 draws near.

I reckon the whole thing will fall apart when it becomes widespread that some trainers are not bothering to make drivers actually turn up for the training.

With the complete absence of any structure or rigour to the training the authorities can’t really prove anyone hasn’t attended or even do spot checks as it’s not like training is necessarily taking place every day in fixed venues.

Jenson Button:
it would appear that they are paying £78 quid a session… direct to the agency - now is it me or am I thinking they are taking a cut ?

Well, I paid 59.99 for mine, so I belive, they are taking a nice cut there

Jenson Button:
Just wondered what the crack is with you boys from agencies? One of the agencies round here is making the lads book their dcpc training through them (the agency)… it would appear that they are paying £78 quid a session… direct to the agency - now is it me or am I thinking they are taking a cut ?

Making!!■■ Are they holding a gun to their heads? Yes, sounds like the agency have a nice little earner going with the training provider. Personally, I did a CPC freight national course and opted to have the 35 hours credited for my DCPC. That way I get something properly useful for my money, a ‘proper’ CPC, and I don’t have to worry about DCPC until after 2014. And I put it through the books as well of course.

Agency I’m with are subsidising our dcpc, I’ve done 14 hours so far and it’s cost £27 per 7 hours

At the current rate of take-up, the whole thing might be dropped by the next government. Therefore, it all depends if the next government gets in before the deadline!

Can you IMAGINE what this country would be like if ALL LGV’s were grounded because 90% of drivers don’t have the DCDP come the hour? :open_mouth:

I have 21hrs under my belt from 3 sessions of bull at £50 a throw. I won’t bother with any more until January when I’ll probably do 2 sessions on the PSV course . . . just for a change.

Stan

Its a bit like playing russian roulette - and anyway the other lot are more pro eu than this shower of … and the rest of Europe is having to do this training too - so I suppose we will just be opening the door for more or our EU brothers to come in…?

And if it does get kicked out, wont they get a right backlash from all the ones that have followed the rules? - Sept 2013 will be the 1st test with the bus drivers.

I believe that training is required, but of a calibre that fits and not just this 7 hour attendance crap, so we are actually learning stuff - like how to operate a digi tach without resorting to violence

On another point - I am prety fed up if you can get DCPC hours from doing a CPC - I did my international CPC last Dec… not even a mention of the DCPC hours - now I really am fuming -

Winseer:
At the current rate of take-up, the whole thing might be dropped by the next government. Therefore, it all depends if the next government gets in before the deadline!

Can you IMAGINE what this country would be like if ALL LGV’s were grounded because 90% of drivers don’t have the DCDP come the hour? :open_mouth:

All of the big players are putting their drivers through DCPC, so much more than 10% of drivers should have DCPC by 2014. I think someone did a survey on here and a surprising number of drivers have already completed. I think just hoping that it will go away because of lack of action by drivers is a false hope because many drivers are taking action.

Of course it’s a European rule, and at the moment who knows what state the European project will be in 2014…?

Biscuits:

Winseer:

All of the big players are putting their drivers through DCPC, so much more than 10% of drivers should have DCPC by 2014. I think someone did a survey on here and a surprising number of drivers have already completed. I think just hoping that it will go away because of lack of action by drivers is a false hope because many drivers are taking action.

I’m with you on that one, I am quite sure that by the deadline it will be 90% who do have their DCPC, not 90% who don’t.

Paul

Jenson Button:
On another point - I am prety fed up if you can get DCPC hours from doing a CPC - I did my international CPC last Dec… not even a mention of the DCPC hours - now I really am fuming -

I did a week CPC course with Novadata and by paying a bit extra they added that to my DCPC record as 35 hours training. It does show what a complete farce DCPC is; if it is a qualification for professional drivers, and the knowledge gained from a CPC is enough to get it, then everybody with a CPC should be credited with their DCPC automatically. Because there is no syllabus and no pass/fail the whole thing is meaningless. Go to an employer with a DCQ and what does that actually tell them? You can complete 35 hours DCPC without even doing drivers hours. This industry needs something like the Civil Aviation Authority, an independent body that works with legislators to produce rules and training that really work.

I work for a National Agency & have only paid the upload fee of £8.75 for each day of Training.

All the modules are 3.5 hours long & there are 10 of them.

As for the CPC being a waste of time, on all courses, there were the “I’ve been driving these for x years” it was
found that after about an hour, yes they were great drivers with a wealth of experience of getting themselves
out of tight situations but after listening, they wont get into the situations now, will prob save a lot of fuel &
are now abiding by the Rule & Regulations put in place for mostly safety reasons.