Agency Drivers and Driving Agencies [Merged]

Hi All.

I am wondering what everyone’s perception is off Agency drivers and Driving Agencies. I personally think there are some good and some bad agencies out there!!

Popcorn anyone ?..

jack106:
I personally think there are some good and some bad agencies out there!!

No just bad.

oh dear is this another new troll?

as you say with anything in life there are good and bad. some drivers hate them others don’t.

war1974:

as you say with anything in life there are good and bad. some drivers hate them others don’t.

Just interested to see what peoples thoughts are.

Ha, don’t have to look far on here for opinions so here’s mine. Agencies are same as companies some are decent enough others should be put against a wall and shot at the end of the day they are businesses not charities. Same with drivers, most are good, some are great, some you wouldn’t put in charge of a shopping trolley regardless of whether they are agency or company.

At one time agencies were pretty good 1998 - 2002 ish if I remember. Then flip flops came over and dragged the rates down and then to top it all flips flops started in the office and ■■■■■■ it for good. As for drivers staff or agency good and bad.

If there’s x number of 2 year experienced C+E licence holders out there - it doesn’t make sense for there to be more agencies chasing the same amount of shifts for a smaller pool of drivers…
Any attempt to “promote excessive liquidity” will end up with drivers voting with their feet when stood up once too often (eg. twice in the same year) when they get given an assignment, only to have it immediately cancelled because another agency has just filled it at a lower hourly rate…

Change is in the air. Pick a good agency, since I reckon the weak hands out there among them will start to fold before long. :bulb:

? :question:

enter contraflow

war1974:

Or someone representing a rather tiresome radio station.

peirre:
Popcorn anyone ?..

I have the beer, move over. :laughing:

LASHHGV:
At one time agencies were pretty good 1998 - 2002 ish if I remember. Then flip flops came over and dragged the rates down and then to top it all flips flops started in the office and [zb] it for good. As for drivers staff or agency good and bad.

Most things wrong with agencies I found when working for them was ( in NO particular order ) , wages where never bang on to hours worked even though time sheets handed in ( never seem to make mistakes of paying over the odds I notice , always miss an hour or 2) , a lot of staff agencies have in their offices are young girls who dont have a clue , also when you tell them what you want or dont want they dont take any notice , some are downright liars and would send you anywhere despite what you told them you wanted ,too many agencies all with the same client contracts , all this self employed umbrella s hite ( the Tax Mans a coming for them all eventually ) , also some think they are wide boys and can sweet talk to you do anything and dont realise they do not have the brains to con an experienced driver , before long a lot will go to the wall and good riddance to them I say , shame its not like the old days when just 2 or 3 decent honest ones existed and knew what they where doing .

To the OP. Get a proper job. Agencies are crooks and their staff are Scum! [emoji23]

Agency drivers never have accidents and Driving agencies are jolly good employers.

Agency I’m with have never paid me wrong, the people in the office know what they’re talking about, I only do the work I told them I want, they do do self employed if you want and pay £3/hr more than PAYE rate which is what holiday pay and employers NI actually works out to be within a few pence for what the PAYE rate would be so none of that “extra quid an hour” rubbish and they don’t have an umbrella scheme or recommend any. The only fly in the ointment is those on PAYE have holidays calculated as an average of the previous 12 weeks whereas S/E don’t but we do get 33 days a year and we can take it before we’ve accrued it.

Decent agencies are out there, the bad ones only get away with it because people are prepared to work for them. The fewer people who work for them the less clients they’ll get, the clients they have they’ll lose because they can’t supply them with enough drivers and the quicker they’ll go away.

Honestscott76:
To the OP. Get a proper job. Agencies are crooks and their staff are Scum! [emoji23]

you must have worked for a sxxt one then,i worked for rapier and I have to say they kept my head above water bills wise,mortgage and other debts etc for just over 2 yrs with regular work,and they were decent people which I have to say is rare

truckman020:

Honestscott76:

you must have worked for a sxxt one then,i worked for rapier and I have to say they kept my head above water bills wise,mortgage and other debts etc for just over 2 yrs with regular work,and they were decent people which I have to say is rare

Rapier branch in Yorkshire has a terrible reputation locally. Woman who runs it has constant PMT and has a digusting attitude with the drivers. Pay is apparently nearly always wrong and their rates are well below average for the area.

Personally, any company with a name like Rapier would be given a wide berth and this one seems like no exception.

Carl Usher:

truckman020:

Honestscott76:

Rapier branch in Yorkshire has a terrible reputation locally. Woman who runs it has constant PMT and has a digusting attitude with the drivers. Pay is apparently nearly always wrong and their rates are well below average for the area.

Personally, any company with a name like Rapier would be given a wide berth and this one seems like no exception.

That’s nothing. The hapless “employees” have PTSD! :open_mouth: