Agency drivers and Bank Holidays

Just been chatting to a friend who is working Sunday and Bank holiday Monday,
says he`s on time and half for Bank holiday.

Is that the same with all agencies are is he being taken for a ride ?

Told him to mention rates but says if he don`t do it he could end
up with nothing.

Any agency drivers here working Monday?
Are you on time and half or double time?

cheers Olz

I have refused to work Friday or Monday coz they are only paying flat rate, then said if we do 8 hours we will get 12 hours pay.

To trust or not to trust, that is the question

It will be a safe bet that the thieving rob dogs will be charging the client double.

Most agencies I know of only pay Sunday rates for bank holidays which is usually considerably less than double time.

I won’t be working over Easter :smiley:

Time & a half Saturday, double time Monday for me. Any less and I wouldn’t have agreed to it.
I binned all the low rate 30mile-away stuff a long time ago so I
get plenty of time on nomal weekdays to indulge in some of the customary muppetry that Bank Holidays bring. :smiling_imp:

selby newcomer:
I have refused to work Friday or Monday coz they are only paying flat rate, then said if we do 8 hours we will get 12 hours pay.

To trust or not to trust, that is the question

I let the sunday and bank holiday to Company drivers.They happy for good Pay and Agency often send Home with 6 Hour.So just do in Emergency

Only supermarkets on sunday/BH around here - and it’s only 1.2 rate. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

mike68:
It will be a safe bet that the thieving rob dogs will be charging the client double.

I reckon your spot on, nothing about agencies is a surprise anymore

Although the rates are stagnent, they still pay roughly the equivent to double time per hour (or a few bob +/-) for sundays & bank holidays
ie: if the day rate was £9.50, the sunday rate would be £18.50 and not £19 etc etc
likewise after 8hrs midweek & saturdays it is time and a half.
Unless theres a major re-jig of the same job I expect to be working monday/tuesday

Double bubble at mine.

Db at mine too thankfully :slight_smile:

Bank holidays paid at Sunday rate, which is £14/hour, so not even 1.5 times. :frowning:

can you afford to join an experiment?
Tell the agency you will only work BH Monday for double time.
Any less and you will decline the job
You might lose a days work but if enough agency drivers do it, we might be able to get a measure of the elasticity of demand for drivers

Euro:
can you afford to join an experiment?
Tell the agency you will only work BH Monday for double time.
Any less and you will decline the job
You might lose a days work but if enough agency drivers do it, we might be able to get a measure of the elasticity of demand for drivers

I`m sure that experiment will be a fantastic sucess :unamused: :unamused:

meanwhile in the real world someone else will have taken the job you turned down

I can’t remember the last time I worked Bank Holidays because they won’t pay an acceptable rate. I don’t miss it as over the year I bring in enough to cover myself, the extra I’d earn for working them makes little difference over the year.

The company lads where I am doing agency work are getting double pay and a days holiday for working the bank holidays, have told agency I will work for double time or I ain’t available, been told they can’t do it. It may change by tomorrow though as all the class 1 drivers are agency and none of us have said we will work either day

Was offered £10.50 for fri, sun and mon on Stobarts and £9.50 for the sat.

Decided to take £16 for fri, sun and mon, 12 for sat and after 8hrs on Fowler Welch instead.

Not sure what days I’ll get, but workin’ today with night out tonight and should be out again tomorrow night.

My agency just phoned me about Friday and Monday and told me they were only going to pay Saturday rate of 12p/h for doing Tk Maxx in Bristol starting at 3.30 in the morning. I used to get 17-18 p/h for bank holidays being Ltd company S/E !
My reply was no thanks! Sometimes chasing the money is just not worth it and I just wish other drivers would say stick it too! Might show these agencies that you can only take the ■■■■ for so long!

selby newcomer:

mike68:

I reckon your spot on, nothing about agencies is a surprise anymore

And I reckon he’s talking out of his backside. If an agency tries charging that kind of enhanced rate the client will just phone a cheaper one. That’s not robbery that’s simple economics and in their place you’d do the same. Unlike most of you I’ve been on the other side of the desk as a consultant and if it really was that easy to get money out of clients with that kind of mark-up I’d still be doing it!

Further to that, if the agency doesn’t make that kind of money, with the best will in the world they’re not going to pay you any more than they can get away with. For the record they’re businesses not charities. :wink:

All you lot on here who moan about time and a half for this, double time for that; wake up and smell the coffee gentlemen, those days are long gone! Very few of us get that these days, either as drivers or in any other trade. What’s special about Bank Holidays anyway? All the bloody shops are open, so are the pubs, the only difference where I live is I’ll have to carefully plan any departures from my gaff to avoid the queues of miserable-faced car drivers coming out of Tenby and off the Irish ferries.

Samworth Bros- saturday time n half,sunday double,bank hols treble