Agency Driver Database

:unamused: What do you think of this - depoelconsulting.com/add.htm
This company intends to sell Agency Driver info to anybody who pays for it.
Do you think it is right ? I don’t.
Could this lead to better things or worse ?

I have informed the DTi, (Data Protection Act) and asked them to look into this. They have replied and said they will, as soon as they can, they are very busy.

Don’t know whether its a good idea or not. I’m an agency driver myself and get hacked off with the generalisations made by regular drivers. I agree that the vast majority of agency drivers are worse than useless but some of us are dedicated, experienced drivers.

I would imagine this database records all the negative aspects associated with agency drivers such as smashing vehicles, losing loads, and so on. Will it record the positive ones too?

For example, last Tuesday night (2300 hrs) the agency calls me saying this company needs a generator taking somewhere urgently. Within half-an-hour of the call I’m out in the pouring rain (thunder and lightening too), loading and securing a 12 tonne set onto a six wheeler with the HIAB. An hour later, the customer is a very happy man because he’s now got power for his factory. Will this database show how flexible some agency drivers can be, at a moments notice?! The company’s own drivers couldn’t be bothered!

Having said that, would it be discriminatory only listing agency drivers? For it to be fair, shouldn’t all drivers be listed? And, shouldn’t the company providing the database ask individuals beforehand whether or not they want to be listed? It sounds a bit “one sided” like that “driving courteously” scheme!

Brummie, that’s the trouble. If it is allowed to continue, it could develop into all sorts. Can you imagine it being part of a job application and are out of work because no-one will take you on. I don’t mean because you are a danger on the roads. Maybe you’ll get listed just because you stick up for your self, and won’t be taken for a Mug.

I see what you mean! I’ve been banned from plenty of firms because I’ve got a big gob that I’m not frightened of using!!!

I can’t really see it being much use considering the driver shortage. Most big firms nowadays will use anyone, even those whose licenses are still wet! For example, I’m working for a firm over the weekend that I’ve walked out of three times before. They’re aware of who I am and are more than willing to use me again despite being banned from their site on those occasions. They don’t need a database to know what I’m like…!

Me and a few mates are taking bets on how long I will last this time - we’re talking minutes not days!!!

If you sign up for an agency, look on the forms for the ticky box that says “tick here if you don’t want us to pass your information on to third parties”.

If you indicate that you don’t want your information passed on, then the agency is not allowed to do so. However, it doesn’t seem to stop them. I was signed up with Manpower’s Brum office for a while and I got a phone call out of the blue from one of these companies who does surveys on a client’s behalf.

Manpower had passed my personal mobile phone number onto this company without my consent or knowledge and to say I was not a happy bunny is an understatement.

I contacted them and indicated my displeasure and got the usual platitudes about “looking into it”, etc. but I never got an apology or an explanation.

:laughing: :laughing: Not TDG washford, is it ? Brummie.

Hello Andy, How bist ?

No, it isn’t TDG Washford although I’m banned from there too! Its a company based in Pershore who deliver to the wholesale markets, burgundy and white Volvos mainly - they’re fairly fast (there’s a clue in there somewhere)!

I was one of the first drivers to sign up with the agency I’m with, that was 13 years ago! I still reckon they’re the best driving agency in the south midlands area. Tried others like Pertemps, Best Connection and SMS but they choose to employ consultants who are target orientated and know nothing about transport. The young lady that handles me (not in that way!) is absolutely brilliant and we have a great rapport!

Are they Ferry, Ferry fast ?

Niall

Niall, got it in one! Firkin cowboys!!!

Brummie, can you tell me what Agency your with ? PM me if you prefer. I’m still looking for a good one.

Brummie - I used to see one of their drivers when I was on for A.C.C (Co-Op).

I would leave Halesowen, tip at Oxford, and head for Hayes.

From memory, the company was Wealdmore Produce, at Springfield Rd.
Because the load was not ready 'till 2 pm, and I arrived at around 11 am, I would park outside at the end of the cul-de-sac road.

I spoke to the same bloke 3 or 4 times. He seemed to be on a 24hr marathon of Evesham to the London markets, back to Middlesex, have an overnight (in the day-time),re-load, back to Evesham and start again.

I could never figure out the curtainsider WITH a fridge!

As he was loading a full house, it made my 13.6m with 3 palletts of courgettes and nothing else seem like a Transit van load :exclamation:

Cheers,

Niall.

DAFMAD, I work for Backup Staff’s Evesham office. Their head office is in Worcester with branches all over - Gloucester, Dudley, Coventry, Kidderminster, Coventry, Redditch, and so on. Try calling Geri on 01386 443302 and have a chat with her, she’s alright!

Niall, this bloke didn’t have long hair and brown teeth did he? Drives a Volvo Gobstopper with ‘Sapper’ in the window? I’ve worked with him at a couple of firms and can tell some tales about him that you wouldn’t believe. Great bloke though!

Steve:
Hello Andy, How bist ?

Oops, not being rude, didn’t register when I read it. I’m alright mate, thanks very much :wink: