Agency dispute

Here’s another one

Agency asked if I could divert from my normal Saturday (£13.50 per hour) and drive 25 miles to do a day on £11.00 per hour. I said why would I, he said nothing at usual place and would pay £30.00 travelling.

OK I did it.

Come pay day, got paid £9.00 per hour for 9 hours (actually did 11 paid hours) and no £30.00 travelling expenses.

Immediately contacted agency. They said job came from their other office and will sort it with them.

Twice was told by email that payment had been sent to my bank account and to look for it.

No further payment.

Did further days for them and got paid according to agreement.

Continually phoned agency to encourage them to pay as per agreement.

Eventually after various correspondence, them admitting by email that they had short paid me, they asked me to drive 22 miles to have digicard downloaded to prove hours.

I went to local friendly haulier to have it done and have sent printout to agency by email.

I await further from agency.

SD

Sounds like agency are a bunch of buffoons. Couldn’t organise a knees up in a brewery.

Keep at them. Keep the email as written evidence.

Good luck.

Sounds like normal buissness practice to me …

If anyone has issues with an agency, then report them to the Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate. The EASI have a duty by law to investigate all complaints as a matter of urgency.

bis.gov.uk/policies/employme … s/about-us

Thanks

I will !

If it is the first assignment on different pay/conditions/location, then you might expect the agency to send you a confirm email just explaining what the hourly rates are, and what’s expected of you at that particular client at very least.

This would seem to be a reasonable thing to expect from ANY agency I reckon!

It seems a very sorry state for an agency if anyone has to pull someone off a job they were already quite happy with…
Reasons-wise, I would imagine it was more likely “everyone else refused” rather than “we’ve only got 3 staff, and the other two are on holiday!” :stuck_out_tongue:

Good points Winseer

It usually goes that it suits the agency, not the customer or the temporary worker!

I had same issue with Best Connection, eventually got paid but refuse to work for them since, it took over 8 weeks to eventually get wages sorted - can’t say for sure if they were bang on right or not since it took that long, but it was close enough for me to stop chasing.

Another agency who requested to have a thread removed from here were worse - cancelled a job when I was on site (claimed they’d cancelled day before) and refused to pay anything for the day

Usual agency promises , had promises of travel payment and extra hourly rate before and guess what ■■
Dont believe a word they say.
Sign with more than one agency and play em off against each other , winds em up a treat.
They need you more than you need them.

Yeh, it’s been a bit odd with that particular firm. I know there’s plenty of work available, but strangely I’ve never even been offered a shift since signing up last year.

It might be related to me insisting upon all assignments being confirmed via email (like I suggested above), rather than a phone call beyond the initial booking call.
Maybe I’m too much of a troublemaker to get my first assignment even? :grimacing:

To Update

I have not received all monies due to me.

I have filed a complaint with EASI

They have written to me advising they are investigating the matter.

I called the investigator this morning and sent copy emails to him.

He had already spoken to the agency who have promised to respond to him by close of play today. They confirmed that they did promise me the money but were checking with their customer to confirm that the hours were actually worked. EASI stated that he informed the agency that under Amp;oyment Agencies Act 1973 they were supposed to pay me, and not withhold payment pending clarification of hours with their customer.

He advised he would update me with progress after today.

Further to follow

SD

Update

I was paid last Friday following EASI’s nudge to agency

I asked what would be done to agency. EASI have options right up to prosecuting and banning individuals for working for agencies.

I agreed with him that in my case, for small amount, letter informing agency that this would be held on record, and that further infringements could result in sanctions against them, would be acceptable.

SD