Agency contracts or direct job offers?

Hi
Im coming out the Army after 10 years and just spent the last month and a bit getting my Moffett and HIAB certs as well as doing a few work attachments in the area i want to move too when i leave the service, ive registered with a few agencies in the area as well as applying for jobs of which ive had one comback offering me to go for a couple of days driving acessment, but i also have an agency offering me a chance to go on one of there long term contracts with a large company which who also want me to do a few days driving acessment as well as a few exams, map reading, route planning and the like.
The question i have is which one should i pool all my effort into? the agency contract which ive been told is a single rate (£7 an hour) but long hours (60 -70 a week) or the job offer which is for a company which is nearer to where i want to live and driving ADR tankers hauling class 3 and 8 which i know is more money but also the opportunity to use my HIAB cert which i spent a lot of money getting so i would like to use it.
With both companies ill do the odd night out which doesnt bother me .
Im just stuck on what to do.

Any help or advice would be helpfull

Agencies will promise you the earth just to get you on their books, if you have an offer of regular work then take it your money is guaranteed week in week out it aint with agencies.

personally i would go for ‘proper’ job
agencies promise the earth but gurantee nothing
and theres nothing to stop you doing the odd weekend on agency to test the field

Ditto both of those comments, go for the proper, agencies are a last resort to earn a living. If you do gain experience on Tankers you can end up with a good salary and prospects for any future jobs that you may be offered.ADR tanker work is one of the best paying jobs in the industry. You based near a refinery (Elsmereport?) Plus if you do move on and can get a good reference it will help towards any further work you apply for. Best of luck with it.

I would go for the proper job as no guarantee with the agency yes it could be an ongoing contract but that can be pulled at any time

Hiyyaaa tt3641- Proper job, proper regular wage & the experience will build as you go along - in short you will have jumped up the ladder a few more rungs( headstart ) rather than starting at the bottom scraping for agency work (even if it’s available now, it useually has a quiet spell around Jan/feb ) & welcome :smiley:

Cheers for the advice but sadly the direct offer fell through as the companiy lost the contract they needed an extra driver for so it looks like its gonna be agency work for a while :frowning: