Agency (again )

Why can’t I invoice an agency in stead of being Ltd or paye .I’ve got 2 spare days a week where I can work on hgv but they keep saying sole traders are illegal now :imp:

Illegal or not, its their agency and their rules I suppose, so they can dictate their terms.

If youre after a couple of days, maybe go and see some smaller/medium haulier outfits in your locale and tell them youre available. Invoice them. Having someone to fill in a couple of days might be useful to them.
Forget the larger players. They like national accounts.

Password94:
Why can’t I invoice an agency in stead of being Ltd or paye .I’ve got 2 spare days a week where I can work on hgv but they keep saying sole traders are illegal now :imp:

Because if you don’t pay your tax, it’s them that will take the hit if/when HMRC find out.

What’s the prob with paye? Wanting to avoid tax at source? I find agency good when you kno and make it clear you’ll be claiming an hours holiday for every 8 worked. And with agency in some places you can get the time sheet signed for more than you’ve worked, also easier to drag the shift out whilst gettin your head down? If your circs really do require a low profile ( maybe csa or tax credits affected) what about the smaller firms, in particular those that may earn cash (grab lorries etc) so that they maybe more likely to pay cash.

Don’t require low profile or avoid paying tax or anything like that .what gets my beef is I will be paying double ni cont more tax as I can only claim allowance on 1 job and will have to pay full tax on the second job plus pay my accountant to do my tax that has already been done by paye .if I sub contract to any transport firm and give them an invoice and not pay tax from the earnings does that mean they will have to pay it .

ICBW, but I think you could end up paying LESS NI by going PAYE. Each job has its own per-week PAYE allowance, and you only pay it on earnings above that.

Password94:

Its not that sole traders are illegal it is that the agency knows what it is doing is tax evasion and they think that by having drivers doing self employed as limited company it covers their backsides. It doesn’t.

Next time an agency says that to you I’d make the above point.

Carl Usher:
Because if you don’t pay your tax, it’s them that will take the hit if/when HMRC find out.

When HMRC rule its an employed position they’ll take the hit for employers NI anyway.