Agency advice

Hi there, I’m looking to pick up some extra weekend work and was looking for advice on agencies. I’m based on West Sussex and was wondering who’s decent who’s not etc. I have no experience with an agency so any help much appreciated

Your search is perfectly timed to coincide with the “Bleak Season”

There is very little agency work around the Mid Sussex/Gatwick area right now. I understand it should pick up around March time ish.

I would be looking at the following:
The Best Connection aren’t bad but the pay rates aren’t the greatest but they will do PAYE - Not sure how busy they are right now - They got me my first Class 2 job so will work with new drivers
ExtraStaff in Crawley do PAYE but they’re pretty quiet too - I did see they were looking for a Class 2 driver last week though…
PerTemps - No personal experience but I’ve heard good things about them - I believe they do PAYE
ProRec Crawley - Again they’ll do PAYE but they were quiet last time I looked them up
JBS - They do Ltd Company, they wont do PAYE. They do some of the more interesting work at Gatwick like Snowploughs and Deicing the taxi and runways etc. I believe they have the DHL contract who were always looking for Class 2 Drivers at one point.
Staffline: They will do PAYE I believe they supply drivers to gate gourmet and the likes for the airport.

I would avoid:
Driver Hire in Crawley as they give you the choices of Ltd Company or Umbrella - No PAYE option unless that works for you - They never did find me any work.
Driver Hire Brighton (At Southwick) As they wouldn’t offer me work unless I signed a damage clause that allowed them to take any damage costs etc out of your pay - The pay rates were the worst I’ve had an agency quote on PAYE (Sub £10/Hr)
HRGO - No personal experience but I was told they like to force you into Umbrella only

Check out CV Library, Indeed and Reed and Total Jobs to get an idea what is out there

Best connection and pertemps we’re good to me over the years and I always had work with them. Driver hire are useless and advertise for jobs that don’t exist just to get you on the books. Manpower do a lot of work for calor gas and Royal Mail if you want that and 1four1 have occasionally have some good work.

The Drivershop in Horsham are ok but I am not sure how much weekend work they have at the moment

westermant:
Best connection and pertemps we’re good to me over the years and I always had work with them. Driver hire are useless and advertise for jobs that don’t exist just to get you on the books. Manpower do a lot of work for calor gas and Royal Mail if you want that and 1four1 have occasionally have some good work.

Best Con…

After months of getting my money wrong (short never over) came up with the line ‘we have a new team in wages, you can’t expect them to hit the ground running for a week or so’.

A finer example of pointy shoe, mummy still does my tie up for me, half-arsed management waffle I’ve yet to hear.

yourhavingalarf:
Best Con…

After months of getting my money wrong (short never over) came up with the line ‘we have a new team in wages, you can’t expect them to hit the ground running for a week or so’.

A finer example of pointy shoe, mummy still does my tie up for me, half-arsed management waffle I’ve yet to hear.

Which of their clients were you working for?
I know DHL were great at messing up the hours for drivers on a weekly basis…

Assuming you’re talking Best Con Crawley branch?

yourhavingalarf:

westermant:

Best Con…

I spent 4 years with best connection and never had a problem but it’s been a few years since I’ve done anything for them so they might be a bag of ■■■■ now.
The only agency I wouldn’t recommend is driver hire as they’re a ■■■■■■■ useless.

Regarding Driver Hire I have had no problems with them at all. In fact, they treated me very well. This is DriverHire West, based in Alperton.
It’s down to the people that actually run the branches, innit.

Driver hire Norwich were brilliant driver hire Maidstone were useless had to chase them for money which they claimed to have paid me took far to long for them to sort it out despite chasing them every day.