Agencies

hello all again

Well I’ve been on the agencies(6 in total) now for 2 weeks, I’ve had 9 free days, I only got 1 shift in that time, that was a 0300 start, was told by an agency that I’m with, that this shift is the hardest to cover, so it’s farmed out to all agencies to fill, well i took it and it wasn’t to bad, an easy 12 hrs, but I’ve now sat around for 6 straight days with no work, I’ve phoned said agencies twice a day morning and night, so have replied and said no work it’s quiet, other agencies havnt replied yet, is it really this quiet out there■■?.

I think it must be the area you are in I am doing two days a week as that is all I need to do … however I am constantly being bugged to do 6 they cant give me enough shifts if I want them get yourself a caravan or sleeper van and get some work down south …

Well ringing them is good but you need to be ringing them at the right time, find out what time each day they ring round their customers and ring them just before. I know for example that most the ones I deal with do this dead on 1430 each day so if I need work I ring them at 1420 and normally I get a call back at around 1445.

Tell 'em you’ll do anything and everything and eventually they will be the ones ringing you twice a day! It’s all a big game, you just got to learn how the guys at your agencies play it and learn to use it to your advantage.

I’ll bet in a month you’ll be turning work down, as long as you don’t say no to anything in the meantime and just stick your head down and get on with the job when you’re there.

Good luck!

Alex

Tell 'em you’ll do anything and everything and eventually they will be the ones ringing you twice a day!

I’ll second that in a big way. Do anything at the drop of a hat and you become their hero.

Though I passed my Class 2 (C) two years ago I haven’t used it but now desperately need work and money. I registered with two agencies (each 15 miles in opposite directions from me with their client bases in those areas - Cheshire) over 6 weeks ago and had nothing until last week.

Got a call at 10:00am on the Monday asking me to go to Glasgow immediately (220 miles) with another agency driver in a hire car and bring back two new Luton vans. I said yes and got home at 9:00pm but easy work other than the distance.

Then on the Wednesday got a call for Thursday 8:00am to go back to Scotland for a minibus to Carlisle and bring another one back from there.

And finally this Tuesday 12:00 midday the same agency rings and gives me my first Class 2 job. The client has the truck loaded and waiting and I need to be there at 1:00pm to go to Nottingham and back with one drop. Got home at 7:30pm.

I hate the uncertainty and the money is miserable but it can only get better. It’s not as if I’m sitting watching daytime telly either as there’s a lot on in my life, but I have to say “yes” to get on the ladder. Or at least that’s what I’m telling myself! :smiley:

This is why I took a job driving small vans atm as not enough agency work around will stay doing this until something better comes along as it is paying the bills

So ask if there is any van work about this is not all multi drop as the most I have done is 3 drops between here & NI it is normally just 1 drop though

i must be really lucky i signed up with two as soon as past my dcpc and one called within a couple of days and i have only had 2/3 days off since lol been in one company doing removals ranging from a luton up to class 2 so i would be inclined to agree it does depend on area i have my first real drive with said removals on monday as off to dartford night out then move some from london on tuesday

Some agencies offer the main load of their work to self employed drivers on their books as it means they save on holdiay pay etc. Use drivers who are pay as you earn at their disposal, only get a phone call if they run out of self employed drivers and cant fill the vacancy. So your best off asking upon joining do they accept self employed drivers? Some accept both, some accept only pay as you earn.

i only do 1-2 shifts a week max due to other commitments, sometimes agency dotn even give that - would i have better chance if i was s/e then? would it be worth em doing s/e for only 1-2 shifts a week?