Agencies

Sorry if this is a daft question, but why is 99% of jobs advertised through agency rather than direct employer ?
Sorry if its already been asked.
Many thanks

Win win situation for the employer for a number of reasons; try before you buy if they are thinking of recruiting as they can then hire a driver who is “known” to them.

Also some businesses have peaks and troughs in demand where one week they may require for example 50 drivers, and the next week only 10. So rather than try to find work for 40 drivers who they have to pay regardless they simply instruct the agency that they only require 10 drivers.

They (the company) also absolve themselves of the responsibility of paying employees tax, NI, sick , holiday pay.

There are probably loads more reasons but that’s a few to start with.

Funny old situation but…My availability for work is quite restrictive, as I have to fit some around school runs, and some around other issues. But that said, I was really getting sod all from the agencies other than ‘can you travel 40 miles to do an 8 hour shift for £8 an hour…’

hmmmmm

So what I did, I simply emailed all my local hauliers and those own account types and told them what I could work. I’m now sorted for casual ad-hoc work on self employed terms. I’m not working huge hours (suits me); staying local (suits me); and because I’m doing the companies in question a real favour by filling gaps they’d struggle to fill (keeping customers happy), they’re paying me a decent hourly rate.

I spoke to my accountant about the tax implications and he’s sorted me on this.

The funny old situation I mean is, these employers said if I hadn’t have offered up my services ( :open_mouth: ) they would have simply gapped the post - essentially loosing a days delivery is not worth getting an agency man in. And I’m on more money than the agency ever offered… so ■■■■ knows how much they charge a client!

el_presidente:
I’m now sorted for casual ad-hoc work on self employed terms. I’m not working huge hours (suits me); staying local (suits me); and because I’m doing the companies in question a real favour by filling gaps they’d struggle to fill (keeping customers happy), they’re paying me a decent hourly rate.

Disguised employment. However given its for several companies and no agencies involved its likely the tax man will never catch up with you.

Conor:

el_presidente:
I’m now sorted for casual ad-hoc work on self employed terms. I’m not working huge hours (suits me); staying local (suits me); and because I’m doing the companies in question a real favour by filling gaps they’d struggle to fill (keeping customers happy), they’re paying me a decent hourly rate.

Disguised employment. However given its for several companies and no agencies involved its likely the tax man will never catch up with you.

Nope, all above board. I’ve informed HMRC and it will all be going down on my annual tax return.

Thanks for replies guys, so would I be better off just ringing companies direct and visiting them on the off chance of a potential job or go down the agency route of being promised everything and getting a few dribs and drabs of work here and there. Im in full time employment as a dustcart driver, but i want to get out of it, but dont want egg on my face if i left to go agency. If that makes sense. Thanks again for any advice and what not.

theflyingdustman:
would I be better off just ringing companies direct and visiting them on the off chance of a potential job …

Wouldn’t hurt. You can work for whoever you like, whenever you like (in accordance with WTD and Driver’s regs of course) - provided you register with HMRC.