Agencies wanting me to be self employed?!

I’ve signed up with two agencies now and whilst they’ve both said they could pay me by PAYE they’ve both made it very clear it would be better for both of us if I became self-employed and invoiced them.

TBH I don’t really want to do that and would much rather be just paid PAYE but the agency today started baffling me with umbrella organisations and talking of a huge cut in hourly wage than that was quoted on the website.

Is this the norm? Am I being screwed?

simonp:
I’ve signed up with two agencies now and whilst they’ve both said they could pay me by PAYE they’ve both made it very clear it would be better for both of us if I became self-employed and invoiced them.

TBH I don’t really want to do that and would much rather be just paid PAYE but the agency today started baffling me with umbrella organisations and talking of a huge cut in hourly wage than that was quoted on the website.

Is this the norm? Am I being screwed?

Yes and Yes
Its becoming a pain in the rear being an agency driver. I even had an agency say " yeah you can be PAYE through an Umbrella company " :open_mouth: if you can stay Proper PAYE because you don’t fancy going SE Go PAYE .
If your gonna go down the SE route you might as well go Ltd as you’ll be paying up to £40 to an umbrella company.
Its about time these Agency’s that make you or push you to go SE are put out of business they are becoming nothing but Brokers …

Agree with Nick about agencies when I was on agency they only did self employed or umbrellas. The cost was the same £25 a week but being self employed you could end up with a tax bill at the end of the year.

Dont think agencies do PAYE anymore tbh

I thought as much :frowning:

They all just seem so ‘dodgy’.

How can you have a huge cut in your hourly pay when they will only pay you £1 an hour more than PAYE.

I suspect it is done to beat the laws on agency workers having the same rights as employees after 12 weeks.

There have been examples of east-european agencies making all the staff self-employed to win contracts as they can pay them below minimum wage.

GFT:
I suspect it is done to beat the laws on agency workers having the same rights as employees after 12 weeks.

I think you’re right about this :frowning:

some agencys seem to forget without drivers there nothing…far to many arse lickers employed on them telling employers pack of lies just to get drivers in there… there in it to make a profit i havent meet a agency that has the drivers intrest at heart sadly every job is nearly agency…employers use them for good and bad reasons…imo there like nappys full of ■■■■■ always hanging round your arse but sadly thats the way the job market is be firm be fair with them but dont put up with any this is how we want you do this that etc check paperwork before you sign up

Do it you will be better off

A close ltd company is easy to set up you can make it easier to control your money although you have not much security your the boss and it will lead to other avenues

Talk to an accountant they will explain