Agencies in Yorkshire

Hi all,

Booked my medical to get my provisional license to start my Class 2 training for this Saturday with L&T Transport (highly recommended and i also believe they are on this site as being a good company)

Roughly £1700 for everything including medical, 3 theory tests, a bunch of practice, my practical test and includes my CPC :smiley:

Just wondering what is the best route to take regarding agencies, do i wait until I’ve passed my theory to contact them? wait until I’ve passed my practical? would it be a good idea to get my name and everything on record now?

Also, nay ideas of the best/worst agencies in the Yorkshire region (I live in Wakefield)

Thanks in advance :smiley:

I cant answer your agency question. But I can wish you all the best with your training and test. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When I was signing up with agencies they all wanted licence, tacho, and CPC in hand. Told me to come back when I had em.
YMMV though. And there’s nothing to stop you trying.
Good luck.

Sent from my Wieppo S6 using Tapatalk

If your in Wakefield your on doorstep of M62 corridor so why not just look for perm FT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H&G do the Sainsburys contract at Sherburn [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

dcgpx:
If your in Wakefield your on doorstep of M62 corridor so why not just look for perm FT?

Would this be better? i didn’t think where i lived mattered that much when it comes to getting a driving job?

Hi Danny

I think he just means that you live in a busy area with lots of work so you should be able to find something permanent if that’s what you are after.

Agencies are the best place to start though, but you will definitely need all your licences in hand before they can put you on the books.

Remember also it will probably take a couple of months to get through all your tests as you have only just started the process.

Good luck buddy

Just down the road from L&T in Kinsley is brakes. They take on new starters. Good money, but can be hard work. They’re always wanting drivers… How’s the training going?

htfc1984:
Just down the road from L&T in Kinsley is brakes. They take on new starters. Good money, but can be hard work. They’re always wanting drivers… How’s the training going?

I see the brakes trucks everywhere at the moment! they deliver to my work also, might have a look into them and my mates stepdad is a long time worker at Walkers in Morley and he said he could get me a job but that’s Class 1.

I haven’t started yet mate, my theory is the back end of November and then hopiung to get everything done by christmas so i can start in January :slight_smile:

Yeah brakes isn’t far from me neither. A few companies in and around w yorks willing to give new passers a try. Send me a pm if I can help further…

DannyM271091:
(I live in Wakefield)

I’m in Wakefield too and I just passed my category C last week. Good luck with the training, who are you doing it with?

htfc1984:
Yeah brakes isn’t far from me neither. A few companies in and around w yorks willing to give new passers a try. Send me a pm if I can help further…

I hope OP doesn’t mind me hijacking his thread but I’m looking for my first class 2 job around Wakefield at the moment. It was mentioned earlier that nobody’s going to take new drivers on without all licenses in hand, does that literally mean having the photo cards with you? I haven’t got my updated licence back yet, or CPC, or been able to send off for a tacho card. Do you think I’ll need to wait until I’ve got them before I can start work?

Torridon:
It was mentioned earlier that nobody’s going to take new drivers on without all licenses in hand, does that literally mean having the photo cards with you? I haven’t got my updated licence back yet, or CPC, or been able to send off for a tacho card. Do you think I’ll need to wait until I’ve got them before I can start work?

Simple answer is yes you will need them. No company will let you loose without seeing them.

Notwithstanding fact you can’t drive a LGV without a tachocard anyway if it’s your first drive, your expected to have all cards in order prior .

Why haven’t you applied for one before now? You don’t need your licence back to apply for one?

I’d also start looking and booking CPC - depending on how your doing it - Mod 4 or entitled to just do 35hrs it’s still going to be a while to get it organised

dcgpx:
Notwithstanding fact you can’t drive a LGV without a tachocard anyway if it’s your first drive, your expected to have all cards in order prior .

Why haven’t you applied for one before now? You don’t need your licence back to apply for one?

I’d also start looking and booking CPC - depending on how your doing it - Mod 4 or entitled to just do 35hrs it’s still going to be a while to get it organised

I’ve passed the CPC and just waiting for the card to come through in the post, got the pass certificate though.

I had a look at the tacho card application form and saw that I needed my drivers licence number which I don’t know until I get my updated license back. Unless you think there’s a way round that?

Cheers

Torridon:
I’m in Wakefield too and I just passed my category C last week. Good luck with the training, who are you doing it with?

Im doing it with L&T in Fitzwilliam :slight_smile: passed my medical at the weekend but i lost my license somehow so i’m waiting on a new one getting delivered then im getting that sent off and my Theory booked in for late November

Torridon:

dcgpx:

I’ve passed the CPC and just waiting for the card to come through in the post, got the pass certificate though.

I had a look at the tacho card application form and saw that I needed my drivers licence number which I don’t know until I get my updated license back. Unless you think there’s a way round that?

Cheers

You can technically drive with the CPC cert so that’s ok.

As for driver number , don’t you have copies anywhere? If examiner sent licence off you have pass cert + test sheet it’ll be in there. You must have some paperwork through theory etc that has it on.

It won’t change just because you’ve added a category to it

DannyM271091:
Im doing it with L&T in Fitzwilliam :slight_smile: passed my medical at the weekend but i lost my license somehow so i’m waiting on a new one getting delivered then im getting that sent off and my Theory booked in for late November

Ah, different place to me then. I was just curious. I did mine with Atkins LGV at Birstall and can’t complain, passed everting first time. Good luck with it, don’t get complacent with the theory side of it, there’s lots to learn. It took me a good few weeks of practice before I was getting near 100% in the mock tests.

The CPC theory was the hardest for me but the practical side was a lot easier than I expected. Same goes for the driving practical, it wasn’t as strict as I thought.

dcgpx:
You can technically drive with the CPC cert so that’s ok.

As for driver number , don’t you have copies anywhere? If examiner sent licence off you have pass cert + test sheet it’ll be in there. You must have some paperwork through theory etc that has it on.

It won’t change just because you’ve added a category to it

You’re right, thank you. I realised I hadn’t been very proactive when I asked that question then noticed it’s on my pass certificate. I didn’t know if the number would change after the update though so thanks for clarifying that. I’ll send off for it tonight.

Cheers